Intestines outside of newborn kitten

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just recently watch one video in my facebook cat group, which owner posted 12hours ago asking for help, in my timezone it's like 6PM yesterday, the newborn kitten still meowing but i think most of him/her abdominal cavity is outside

Video is really graphic, but if someone want to see what happen i will try to put it inside spoiler.

Btw, how to prevent it from happen, because it's pretty pain to see/hear and watch if your places don't have vets service 24/7 ?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, filming it was completely unnecessary and very wrong. Please tell this to the person who did it, on our behalf.

The kitten needed to be immediately humanely euthanized instead of leaving it to scream in pain in order for it to be filmed for the internet, no matter whether the person was allegedly looking for "help".

What likely happened is that the mother cat is inexperienced, and when she bit off the umbilical cord she bit too close and tore the stomach open.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The two previous replies completely explain what probably happened to the kitten, and the fact that the only humane thing to have done would have been to try to euthanize it, as opposed to taking the time to film a video. I am sure that it was upsetting for you to see this.

There would not be any point in you posting it here for us to see, even with a spoiler alert.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Actually, some kittens are born with their intestines outside the abdominal cavity. It is an anomaly and a birth defect, and is also rare, but very sad.

Most kittens with this issue are too young and tiny for repair surgery, so they are humanely put down.

Once in awhile, a kitten with this issue can be saved by a skilled surgeon if the kitten is big and healthy enough, but this is not usual.

It is a very sad situation and there is no prevention for it as it is an unfortunate birth defect that occasionally happens.

I’m sorry that you watched a video of a kitten suffering and dying from this. The only cure is surgery, which most newborns cannot survive.

Sometimes the outside intestines can be kept moist until surgery is performed, but the rate of infection and death is high.

I’m sorry if this happened to you or a friend. We do not need to see the video. Such kittens must be humanely euthanized so they do not suffer a painful death.

I’m sorry to hear how upsetting this was to you. Please advise in your FB group that this is not the norm and such kittens should be immediately euthanized and not allowed to suffer.

We appreciate your input and hope you understand that a kitten born this way cannot normally survive. It must be put down as there is little that can be done. I hope you find peace in my answer. It’s a sad truth but does occasionally happen. One must focus on the healthy kittens. I hope this helps you.

What country are you living in?

H hongducwb

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent answers.
It MAY be good to make a quick photoage for instruction purposes, to show what can happen. But once done, you must end this as
quickly and humanely you can... Hopefully you have a vet nearby whom can do so, ie pts.
If not, perhaps some neigbour is a hunter or a experienced, practical person...
If not so, think it over and improvise. The suffering must end. [ps. Do NOT flush it down the WC!]

Let momma see the dead body if possible, so she wont seek after the passed kitten.

Surgical solutions theorethically possible, but extremely difficult - and rare. I imagine, if you have a veterinary school nearby, and they want to have something to train on... Or some variation thereof...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten will die. The humane thing to do is take to the vet and let them put it down. Filming it for the Internet is beyond bizarre; it's cruel.
they filming it to asking for help, but i think it's hopeless once they filming it because this is dangerous situations, if they have time to filming it they can also bring them to vet to help.

Owner said they also helping cats deliver newborn kittens, only this kittens dying with lungs, heart,intestines,etc.. outside of body. Some comment in that post said, their kitten have same problem, but only intestines come out, so they go to vet to do surgery perform, but non-skilled vet make intestine tangled/twisted, and kitten died after 4 days after surgery.

btw i don't know if that kitten have suffer any pains? because i heard most of them died because hypothermia, dehydrated, which lose consciousness pretty fast, under 1hours

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
if they have time to filming it they can also bring them to vet to help.
I agree, yes, if there is a veterinarian available.

which lose consciousness pretty fast, under 1hours
Thank you for coming here to the Cat Site. What you described is a very difficult and challenging situation.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A similar issue happened when my aunt’s dog had her first litter, one was born with the intestines sticking out in a little ball and though we immediately rushed to the vet it was not saveable. Being a chihuahua it was of course as small as a kitten would be.
I think sometimes people are in a situation where something traumatic like that happens and almost post on the internet as a sort of escape and support link to what is happening. Of course filming isn’t really necessary and care of the kitten should be first and foremost but I can see that it is something potentially to help with the grief of it maybe

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A similar issue happened when my aunt’s dog had her first litter, one was born with the intestines sticking out in a little ball and though we immediately rushed to the vet it was not saveable. Being a chihuahua it was of course as small as a kitten would be.
I think sometimes people are in a situation where something traumatic like that happens and almost post on the internet as a sort of escape and support link to what is happening. Of course filming isn’t really necessary and care of the kitten should be first and foremost but I can see that it is something potentially to help with the grief of it maybe
yeah, I remember when my mother died during the night in the hospital, and us family gathered in the wee morning hours... I took a serie of photos of mom, handheld camera on 1/8 seconds exposure in the darkish room... (the usual recommendation is to have at least 1/60, even if an experienced photografer manages with 1/30 sec). I took the roll full, because I knew most of the pics would be unsharp, handheld on 1/8 sec.BUT. Almost all photos were sharp... So it was apparently my way to stay sane, being superfocused to make good photos...

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm old,not from this digital Era where whipping out the phone to take videos is second nature so I simply cannot relate to that reaction.... don't know what to think about that except I'm sorry you had to see it.... and I do hope you can find Comfort

Everyone here has certainly confirmed we do not need to see it,poor little thing needed to be pts immediately

Thank you for coming here to ask if this could be prevented-maybe someday we could prevent such a birth defect but we aren't there yet