Intestinal Obstruction?

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Tru in for x rays this afternoon. The vet wanted us to get an ultrasound but no one had an opening until tomorrow.

She stopped eating with vomiting on Sunday. Cannot keep food or water down. We did a repeat of yesterday - cerenia for vomiting and iv fluids. They placed a catheter for overnight which i should have had them leave off. I hoped to give her fluids at home. They said no. But i suppose they needed that for the fluids.

First they thought pancreatitis. But The x rays are suspicious of obstruction. Her stomach is 4x it's normal size and filled with air. She is very constipated, but the vet said it could be from dehydration.

The vet recommended we take her in for her ultrasound tomorrow and decide if we want to do surgery or put her down. She could have a tumor in her intestines, it could be a foreign body, as not all show on x rays. The vet thought the ultrasound would determine whether it is worth proceeding.

Given the cost of potential surgery, I'm debating on skipping the ultrasound and having her pts. But her attitude gives me hope. She has been clear eyed and alert and does not appear to be in obvious pain. Her blood work was normal. Right now she is not on pain meds at all. She came home from the vet and stretched out to sleep. She has not been grumpy at all.

If I'm painful, i can't sleep at all. This must be a good sign.

Would an endoscopy be less expensive than surgery? Thoughts and suggestions? I honestly don't know what to do. My mom suggested we put her down. If i knew she had zero chance of recovery, that would be okay.

The vet said she needed an E collar but she has not even touched her bandage.

And yes I could take her to the emergency vet, but what more can they do? She is hydrated and appears stable. The ultrasound is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with your vet. I would get the ultrasound. This will be revealing. It could be a tumor, it could be a hairball, it could be lots of backed up poop. You just don't know at this point, but I would start there.

If further diagnostics is warranted, yes an endoscopy is less invasive and thus less expensive than a surgical biopsy.

I think your cats attitude is telling you to find out what is wrong. I would not pts before a definite diagnosis. I think you would kick yourself forever wondering if she could be treated and saved.

Khali14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can afford it, then I'd do the ultrasound... your cat's demeanor, calm and alert, not in pain warrants another shot at finding whatever's wrong with her. She has lots of fight left in her. I agree with babiesmom5, if there are options available, then maybe you should consider them before doing something drastic. If she can be treated, you'll be happy to have tried one last time...I hope it is something easily treatable once identified ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! She's eating again and acting more normal. She felt better after the fluids she got yesterday and today we started treatment for IBD. If it was an obstruction, it passed. Now I can actually get some sleep. She even used the litter box. I'm so relieved. After 4 days without eating and having to give subcutaneous fluids I'm so relieved. So glad I didn't put her down. I think my local vets really didn't know what they were looking at and assumed the worst... the vet yesterday said the x rays looked like obstruction to her.... they seemed so tentative and uncertain.

This is truly good news. There is a slight possibility of cancer, but Tru seemed so much improved this morning. Maybe she did have an obstruction and it passed but she does have changes suggesting IBD. The funny thing is she felt better today before even treating the Ibd.

I gave her so much attention I think she is sick of me. And my bank account is definitely hurting.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was constipation caused from dehydration, it looks like maybe the fluids helped!! I'm very glad for you!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats has had this twice in his life. Both times it was a direct result of a food change. We have learned to be very cautious when introducing a new food and we stick with foods that work to prevent this from happening. Sadly, cats cannot pass gas like humans do to get rid of gas and the only way to get rid of it is for them to eat and eliminate. It's very painful and uncomfortable for them until it works its way out of their systems.