Intestinal lymphoma and has increased appetite.

cherry18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat Cherry who is 8 has been recently diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma through biopsies taken. Vomiting and increased appetite started last August with numerous tests done to rule out thyroid problems and kidney failure. The vets then thought IBD but then got this sad news. I've opted for the chemo with Prednisone given at home every other day and IV every week at the vets. She also has Antepsid twice daily to reduce acid build up as she also has mildly chronic gastoenteritus. It's murder though getting her take this so resorted to putting it in her food. Her response to the chemo has been very hit and miss (she's had 4sessions so far) but I have noticed her appetite has increased even more to the point that when I'm at home all day I'm feeding her up to 20 small meals just to stop her meowing at me constantly. I've tried giving her larger meals but found that she still wolfs this down and is hungry again half hour later.
I feed her wet food and high supplement cat milk. She also has tinned tuna twice daily with her antepsid on, She loves dry food but I've found this bloats her then she tends to vomit within 24hrs. Can anyone suggest food that I could give her to satisfy her appetite?

Many thanks.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is good that she has a good appetite, many kitties with lymphoma or IBD refuse to eat.  I am assuming since she is getting chemo through an IV that it is large cell lymphoma, I really don't know anything about the chemo for large cell.  The Pred will increase appetite.  I know that the Leukeran that is used for small cell at least acts on the body like a very strong steroid so I am assuming that it could also increase appetite.

I really think, as annoying as it is, what you are doing is the best thing to do.  High protein, low carb foods would help and are healthier for kitty.  http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf  is a list of commercial cat foods with their protein, carb and fat percentages.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Denice - she needs a high protein, low carb wet-food only diet. The kibble simply isn't healthy for her, especially with cancer.

That said - cats typically do very well with fat, and feeding a canned food that's a little higher in fat, like EVO or Nature's Variety Instinct, may help satisfy her more. But with the acid problems, the small, more frequent meals is what's best for her system.

Do you know how much food you're feeding her? Is she gaining weight? Because the lymphoma may be affecting her nutrient absorption. I'd also consider asking the vet about B-12 shots - are they needed? Will they help? And I'd suggest using digestive enzymes. I use Prozyme, though if you need a lactose-free version, there's Prozyme Plus. (But don't bother with the Prozyme Plus for felines, most cats hate the flavoring added! ). This requires just a pinch on the small meals, and if you're able to let it sit on the food for 10 minutes or so before feeding her, it will help even more - these help basically "predigest" the food a bit so she gets more out of it. :rub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cherry18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your responses. I probably feed her the equivalent of about 400g food a day this is a mix of tuna and cat food. She used to eat about 200g wet food with small amount dry food before her symptoms started. She has lost weight since the vomiting started last August but has always been a thin cat. She has put a small amount of weight on and currently weighs 3.33kg. I'll ask my vet at her next session about the B-12shots. Fingers crossed I'm just being a worrying mother and she is responding well to the chemo.