Intestinal Cancer Prednisone Question

Nou123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear all,

My 18.5 year old cat had some constipation issues a few weeks back, she still has some now. When we had an X-ray done, the vet noticed a lump and could also feel one. After an ultrasound the vet concluded that she had thickening of the intestinal walls and concluded it was cancer. She did not recommend to have any surgery done as she is an older cat with mild kidney disease, so we did not have a biopsy to be certain of what it is. Basically, the advise was, there's nothing to do enjoy her as long as you have her, if she feels bad we can prescribe prednisone but it wasn't recommended due to its effect on kidneys and other organs.

The last two days she's had soft stools, not diarrhea, but quite soft, and today she vomitted a little bit, she has also lost weight and her appetite is starting not to be as it once used to be. Generally, she seems happy, well and alert. Because I am constantly worried I sometimes feel like she is not feeling well. The waning appetite was mentioned to the vet last week and she prescribed the prednisone, I have been reluctant to give it to my cat because of the side effects the vet mentioned.

My question is basically, is prednisone dangerous for an 18.5 year old cat? How do I know if she's in pain? Have any of you had any experience with it?
It's a terrible situation, and I don't know what to do, I just want my kitty to be happy and help her in the best way I can.
Any help is appreciated,

Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nou123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a clarification on the vomit, it was just a little kind of a belch and a coin sized liquid that came out

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know the answers for you, but hopefully you have a good vet that you can work with. I hope she feels better soon! Maybe someone else will have better information than i do.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give the pred. Long term side effects I don't think will really be something to worry about at her age (I am sorry to be blunt). Pred will make her hungry, my cat went from no appetite to literally climbing the shelves to rip out bags of chips and stuff. So be aware of that. It should help though. Working wonders for my cat who basically has the same issues at 15.