Interrupted Labour? Should I Be Worried?

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there,

My cat had a kitten 25 hours ago. She has been happy as a clam since, caring for him, loving on him, and eating and drinking. I can feel at least two more in her, and I know it's not just a lumpy uterus, I can actually fully feel the kittens. We are 25 hours with no second kitten, but also no distress or further labouring.
Is this normal? When do I start to get worried?
I think I am just looking for some words of encouragement, and for someone to put my mind at ease....
First picture is of mom, and second is of dad. Anyone know what coloring the kittens might be? The first and only kitten so far is a grey tabby.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can wait and see, as long as she is ok as now.

Next kitten should have white and will have some of mommas colors and oatterns. Momma is a torbie and white. Both carry the dilutation gene.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can take up to a day or two before delivering kittens, so this length of pause is definitely not unheard of.

If you notice her straining, heaving, or panting for 30+ minutes without producing a kitten, you need to take her to the emergency vet. But as long as she seems happy, everything should be going fine, and the next kittens will come when they’re ready.

This article has more info: Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my spouse and I are supposed to be working all day tomorrow.
I was thinking I may need to take her in tomorrow morning if she hasn't had them yet... should I just observe if she is still content and not in distress by morning? (making it 36 hours)
I definitely know the signs of distress, and she most definitely is not. But timewise, when would be an appropriate time to worry? Like if we get to 72 hours and she still hasn't birthed the remaining kittens, then it would be worrisome?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Difficult to give fire sure advices... But all kittens perhaps didnt started at the same occassion, or one by some reason grew quicker. Or even is slightly premature. And thus, they do need some extra cooking time. That is fairly common.

So the advice IS most often, to wait it out... Unless you see something alarming or worrying...
Also, cats manage a little too long pregnancies better than humans. While kittens manage badly to be premature. Its one of the reasons not to haste with cesarean... If the cesarean is done too early, you have a bunch of weak prematures in your hands.

Still, I had met examples when the tissues burst, and a severe bleeding did come... Perhaps because of the delayed cesaean?? So nothing is completely without dangers. Yet, statistically it pays heavily to wait it out if momma is OK without visible troubles.

Much rant, but that is what I can say for the moment.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is there a neighbor whom your momma cat knows and trusts? If this neigbour could come in and do some watching? So you will more calm while on job.

If so, let this neigbour come in already today, so they get extra used to each other.

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a friend that will pop over throughout the day.
After you said that the first one may be premature, I weighed the little guy and he is only 80 grams at 24 hours old, which seems pretty small, so maybe he just came early. If that’s the case, could it be another week or so before she has the others?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
80 grammes isnt bad, but its below average yes.

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So still no more babies. Woke up this morning and found a spot of watery blood in her nesting area. Should I be worried?

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully it means the rest of the kittens are coming soon?

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are good. He is nursing and growing away. She’s a very attentive mama.