Interpreting cat behavior with intros

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I’m crossposting this question from a thread on the feral sub-forum. About a month ago we took in a stray cat, Chase, who was injured. Once he was healed we started slow intros with our other three cats, which have been going decently with the two girls.

I’m trying to understand Chase’s body language towards our youngest, a neutered male (Chase was TNRed when he was younger). Chase will largely ignore him or keep his distance, but occasionally adopt a stance that I’m not familiar with.

Chase will stand upright, back straight, legs straight and slightly splayed. Tail straight up and slightly back. Tail may be slightly bushed. No arched back or airplane ears. Chase won’t hiss or growl, but will advance on the younger cat, who generally makes a big fuss and runs away. We have broken up this behavior any time we’ve seen it.

As I said, I haven’t seen this body language before, but it makes me nervous. It feels aggressive and not in a fearful way or the way that strange cats posture and squabble during typical introductions. I could be totally misreading it, though.

Chase is very sweet with humans, mostly ignores our two spayed females, and is still very timid from his time outdoors. We’re taking intros slowly and cautiously, but I’d appreciate some input about how concerning this behavior is.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really would be helpful to have video, if you can. It sounds like Chase is asserting his dominance, but without a direct threat, but goodness knows, without seeing it, this is just a SWAG (Scientific Wild-A$$ed Guess).