international flight

panda27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys

i had a look through old threads but alot of it was car travel.

im flying from Thailand to Uk with my cat, i actually feel sick with worry about but enough about me.

im flying with British airways who use IAG Cargo who seem to be good with pet travel. Its one flight about 13hours but i have to bring her to the cargo depot 5 hours before the flight which will be 6:30am.

im not sure what to do about feeding? I have to attach food to the crate which will be given to her when we land in London, as they advised the paperwork and processing can take 4 hours.

should i give her big meal the night before andnot feed her morning of? Im not sure what to do. She has a mat/bed in her crate a water bottle and a puppy pad will be in there.

Any advice from people who have flown a long flight i would really appreciate

thanks

kiki39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I flew internationally in December from the US to Japan, but in my case, my cat flew in cabin with me.

I fed her 3 or 4 hours before leaving our place (her usual meal time). She stayed in the carrier for 28 hours (door-to-door) with two flights. I tried to give her some treats in the bathroom at the airport after the first flight, but she didn't eat it.

After we got our new place, she didn't start eating right away. I was so worried but she didn't look sick, just nervous. So I kept her in a quiet room with her favorite food and water, and a litter box. After 24 hours, she started to eat.

I used Feliway spray and Rescue Remedy for pets. (Not sure if they really worked or not, though. I like Feliway "diffuser" more. It works, I think.) Our vet in the US gave us some tranquilizer pills for her but I didn't use it. I was just afraid of its side effects.

Good luck with your travel :)
I was so worried, too, with the move, flights, and everything!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to airlift 12 cats from the Mojave Desert to Vancouver, B.C. Canada a few years ago.  Apart from obtaining (online) and following to the letter each and every one of the carrier's regulations, getting each cat vetted, buying and outfitting a carrier large enough for each cat to stand and turn around in, lining each with new, clean foam rubber, and spraying Feliway liberally on that foam rubber, I did not have anything else special to do; they made the 100-mile journey from our land to the airport without a peep and were fine upon arrival at the other end, according to the rescuers.  Our vet advised against tranquilizers, so we did not use them.  The cats were from young adult to mature in age.  Hope this is helpful, and hope and pray for safe journeys for your cat.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had to airlift 12 cats from the Mojave Desert to Vancouver, B.C. Canada a few years ago.  Apart from obtaining (online) and following to the letter each and every one of the carrier's regulations, getting each cat vetted, buying and outfitting a carrier large enough for each cat to stand and turn around in, lining each with new, clean foam rubber, and spraying Feliway liberally on that foam rubber, I did not have anything else special to do; they made the 100-mile journey from our land to the airport without a peep and were fine upon arrival at the other end, according to the rescuers.  Our vet advised against tranquilizers, so we did not use them.  The cats were from young adult to mature in age.  Hope this is helpful, and hope and pray for safe journeys for your cat.
   Fabulous rescue operation
well done!

You're  Wonderful 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TYSM.  I'd like to accept the praise, but really not -- necessity, in this case, was the mother of invention, as my soon-to-be-ex was dumping us, and I had to do everything in my power to ensure my family's survival.  The city I had to move to has quotas, so my family was broken up and twelve of them found sanctuary, while ten accompanied me.  Saddest part of my life!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi guys

i had a look through old threads but alot of it was car travel.

im flying from Thailand to Uk with my cat, i actually feel sick with worry about but enough about me.

im flying with British airways who use IAG Cargo who seem to be good with pet travel. Its one flight about 13hours but i have to bring her to the cargo depot 5 hours before the flight which will be 6:30am.

im not sure what to do about feeding? I have to attach food to the crate which will be given to her when we land in London, as they advised the paperwork and processing can take 4 hours.

should i give her big meal the night before andnot feed her morning of? Im not sure what to do. She has a mat/bed in her crate a water bottle and a puppy pad will be in there.

Any advice from people who have flown a long flight i would really appreciate

thanks
Sometimes a special cargo plane is better than the alternatives as some cargo airlines provide a human handler with the animals, very different than flying cargo in a regular plane.  Check to see if they have a human handler and if they will try to feed your cat during the flight.  If yes, you can provide food, but water is more important.  Generally i would withhold food in the morning of the flight unless you cat has enough time to poop as you don't want him pooping in the carrier.  Make sure your name, destination address and phone number are clearly marked on the carrier, like with a sharpie marker, as a paper note can get ripped off.  Talk to the airline company for more details and info on the service they provide.  Do NOT use any tranqualizers, the use of them has been associated with higher rates of mortality in flight.  However YOU can take tranquilizers if it helps you, your cat should be fine.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

TYSM.  I'd like to accept the praise, but really not -- necessity, in this case, was the mother of invention, as my soon-to-be-ex was dumping us, and I had to do everything in my power to ensure my family's survival.  The city I had to move to has quotas, so my family was broken up and twelve of them found sanctuary, while ten accompanied me.  Saddest part of my life!
  It's survival mom praise then  :)