Intermittent Diarrhea

david23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two 2-year old cats (siblings). They eat canned food only and they eat the same food. The one kitty (who also gets a probiotic) gets periodic diarrhea every 4-6 weeks or so - very loose, very smelly, lasts a couple of days usually. All samples have been negative for all types of bugs and the kitty is otherwise healthy and normal. Have tried to figure out whether it's a protein allergy but that hasn't panned out. We don't know the cause. Anyone have any ideas? Any tips for dealing with the diarrheal episodes themselves in terms of temporary dietary changes or other? Thanks.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat that after a bout at the ER clinic, he has had persistent diarrhea. All fecal tests are normal, but the stool can be loose and terribly smelly. The only thing I have have found to work is the probiotic S. boullardi. Jarrow is the brand. I open up a capsule and sprinkle it on his food 1x a day. At first I had to use it 3x a day, but for now I am down to 1x. Here is an article about it.
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

I also use slippery elm. It really helps to coat the intestinal lining. I make a syrup using 3/4-1 t. slippery elm powder to 1/2 c. cold water. I bring it up to a slow boil until it start so slightly thicken. I then cool it and refrigerate for 1 week. I give 1 t. of the syrup each day. You can give more if needed. I mix it into a small amount of baby food. My cat loves it.
The 'Emergency Food' Herb Every Pet Owner Needs to Have in the Medicine Cabinet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, that is helpful. Probiotic S. boullardi purchased.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats started to have periodic diarrhoea last year. Long story short, all tests negative, started food allergy testing and removed chicken from his diet. No diarrhoea for 14 months. When he had the bouts, I sprinkled a pinch of psyllium on his food twice a day and that cleared it up. The probiotic you have ordered has had many good reviews.

bayleighb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Uploaded graphic image of stool... Chronic diarrhea for over a month now. Kitty is only 13 weeks old at this point. Is both eating and drinking, is very playful and is gaining weight. Negative fecal test when screened for parasites, specifically giardia. Stool is very loose, passes multiple multiple times a day and smells absolutely foul. He responded well to a 10 day dosage of Metronidazole but once his dosage ended, the diarrhea got bad again. Any advice on what this may be? Any advice on what may be wrong with our kitten? We feed him a good kitten food, and there are no other cats in the house. Please help

Attachments

CLP Maynard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Uploaded graphic image of stool... Chronic diarrhea for over a month now. Kitty is only 13 weeks old at this point. Is both eating and drinking, is very playful and is gaining weight. Negative fecal test when screened for parasites, specifically giardia. Stool is very loose, passes multiple multiple times a day and smells absolutely foul. He responded well to a 10 day dosage of Metronidazole but once his dosage ended, the diarrhea got bad again. Any advice on what this may be? Any advice on what may be wrong with our kitten? We feed him a good kitten food, and there are no other cats in the house. Please help
I went through something similar with my guy. He was a rescue kitty and was found in absolutely horrible conditions. We tried multiple antibiotics and nothing seemed to make him better. It ended up being Cryptosporidium which I don’t believe comes up on typical fecal tests. After a round of steroids he finally got better. Maybe ask your vet if this could be a possibility for your kitty?