Interesting behavior when outside on a leash. Breathing rapidly.

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Occasionally I'll bring my kitty outside to my front stoop with her harness and leash. We'll hang out there and watch people walk by.  I live in Manhattan, but on a quiet block with no trucks or anything driving by. She doesn't really seem scared at all, but her behavior totally changes.

Today she kind of wandered back and forth right in front of the stoop, and then stopped next to my building, and then was just sitting there with her mouth open. Like if she was a dog, her tongue would probably be hanging out. So I picked her and put her on my lap, where she remained, without me forcing her there, for about 20 minutes. Normally when we're inside, I can't get her to stay on my lap for very long. During this time she was breathing heavy. Not audibly, but when looking at her chest, I could tell she was breathing kind of rapidly. A few neighbors came by, and she let them pet her with really no reaction at all. Then after a bit of time, we went back upstairs, and now she's running around and playing with her toys like normal. 

I'm not worried, I'm just curious why she reacts this way. I feel like if she was frightened, she would meow or hiss or cry or try to run. She didn't really do any of this, she was just hanging out on my lap and breathing quickly. Any ideas?

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On occasion, one of my cats will pull at the leash faster than I can keep up with her and that will cut across the front of the neck cutting off her breath (even though the collar is loose if she's not pulling). She won't stop until she gets to the front door and will sit there panting. Not great. I try my best to make sure it doesn't happen.

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats should not pant. I know others will disagree and talk about their cats panting when playing etc. Panting in a cat is a sign of extreme stress. So, when she was outside something frightened her to the point of panting. It may not have been anything you know about. You have to stop and think about how much more keen their senses are.
She sat on your lap like that because she was reacting to extreme fear. When people were patting her they were adding to the stress and she got more stressed. Cats react to fear with fight flight fidget and freeze. She was in freeze mode. Being the breed she is you really don't want her panting due to the short nose. She will overheat much quicker than a regular nosed cat. I wouldn't take her outside again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... interesting. I just feel like if going outside was THAT traumatizing to her, she'd express it some other way, maybe in addition to how she was acting today.

For example, when I'm carrying her from my bedroom to the front stoop, she doesn't wiggle or scratch or anything. If I bring out the cat carrier (which means she's going to the vet) then she definitely doesn't let me get near her... I'd think she would behave the same way when the harness comes out but she doesn't. She always allows me to attach the harness with no trouble at all. 

The other thing, maybe there's no difference, but I didn't notice any kind of heavy breathing except when I was holding her. When she had her mouth open (no tongue out and no panting) she was standing off on her own. As soon as I called her name she closed her mouth.

Also at the end of the summer, I'm going upstate to a cabin/bungalow situation with the cat, and presumably she'll be exposed to some outdoors. If what you're telling me is correct, what's the worst case scenario?

Thank you!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say the heat could be the main cause.  I am in NJ and it was 90.  Is your apartment/house air conditioned?

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's air conditioned when the air conditioner is turned on. 

I was out in the evening, it definitely wasn't above maybe 75.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she wasn't actually panting; she may have been taking in a scent.  I've seen my 2 hold their mouths open a bit when sniffing each other or sometimes if they are distracted in the middle of bathing themselves.  Noodles pants when she plays too hard; that looks different and her tongue does hang out.

She may also react differently around you when you are outside because you are her safe place; her something familiar when everything else is strange.  If that makes sense.

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought you said she was panting. If she is breathing fast she may be excited. What I am saying is just because a cat doesn't move doesn't mean they are not stressed. If she wasn't panting I don't know if she was stressed or not. Open mouth breathing can also mean she is having trouble moving enough air through the tiny nostrils.

Many will disagree with me but I am not in favor of cats going outside at all  The reasons I have for that is because working emergency I have seen some horrific things happen to cats on a leash on their own front steps even. Even in their own back yards with their owner. Also I don't think they should get all that comfortable going out because it increases the want to go outside and they can start trying to explore on their own. I have had cats bust through screens with no problem.

There is a thing cats do where they stick their face in the air and open their mouth and curl back their tongue in order to memorize or log a new scent.  

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really cute cat by the way. Great looking cat.

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Really cute cat by the way. Great looking cat.
One thing I just thought of... when cats are stressed out, aren't dilated pupils almost a guarantee?