Interesting article on Cat Communication!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was getting ready to ask here about head butting and why some cats don't seem to understand what it is while others do. Boca is a licker and groomer, I believe that is how he shows his affection. If I try to head butt him (To show him he is "part of the family") he backs away and looks at me like I'm crazy. The two girls try to do it to him, too, and he really doesn't understand that either, but instead sniffs their face, then their rears. Then stays confused for a few more seconds and walks away.

http://www.messybeast.com/cat_talk2.htm

This is VERY informative, just in case anyone was interested, and if it's already been posted or something like it forgive me, Mods you can of course delete this. I was already sure about the blink-kissing, which I noticed if I do it to Chickster when she looks aggravated she would slowly relax and blink back at me. With other skittish cats (at a friend's house) I tried the blink-kissing too and they relaxed. I did not know direct eye contact was so threatening to cats, or could be, I kind of thought that was only with dogs.

Anyway, I've learned something today!
I held Boca in my arms and let Chickster sniff of his face, and they both acted completely relaxed, smelled each other, then Boca wanted more petting and wasn't interested in Chickster anymore. But no fighting! That is a good sign for winter!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear Boca and Chickster are making friends. She needs someone to pal around with, now her BooBoo
is gone to the Bridge.

Mazy is very big into headbumps for greeting. I remember when Jennie came. Once Jennie was integrated Mazy was ready to make friends.

I was up on the bed cuddling Tolly and Jennie was up there too. Mazy jumped up, hurried over to give Tolly some headbump kisses, then turned to Jennie and offered her head, in a slightly submissive way. Jennie swore and smacked at Mazy's head, and Mazy was SO HURT.

She looked at me and I could read her mind "Why did she do that mom? Why doesn't she like me?"

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right when I think I have figured out a specific behavior, it dawns on me how wrong I might be. It's not written (at least I haven't found), that one habit means something specific. In fact, I rather prefer that there could be various reasons as explanation.

Mandy is a head butt fanatic. I think she thinks she has horns. Sam butts too, but more gently. I've noticed that when they do, they close their eyes. Now, along with that habit, they both like their faces rubbed. Casper OTOH, does not head butt at all, but likes a very light touch when rubbing his face. He will lick your hand non stop. He will crank his head out of whack to lick your hand.

He is a flopper. Rub his face, he flops on his back. Are these habits rational? Well, my GSD's watch these rituals and think that cats are crazy.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

I did not know direct eye contact was so threatening to cats, or could be, I kind of thought that was only with dogs.
This tends to be true for a lot of animals.. why humans in some cultures so persistently rely on it as some form of communication is beyond me! I don't make eye contact with animals and have learned to fake it pretty well with people, but I've noticed that animals do see drawn to me.

Re: head butting. I think it depends on kitten hood exposure. If they were brought up with that being a type of communication they'll do it. Of my cats, Sho and Siri don't do this at all - Sho was an only cat until 4 years old, I don't know about Siri but I suspect she was, too. Both misread cat body language pretty badly and get overly defensive. Then I have Boo, outdoor kitty, who's the opposite of those two - he's naive of other cats and will walk up and try to be instant friends even if their body language says they don't want it.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Prissy came to me in pretty bad shape as a kitten. She was thrown out of a car window as it was driving down the road. She had a broken jaw and some mouth and face injuries.

I think that because of those injuries, that's why she doesn't like her face being touched AT ALL. If you get your hand near her head, she'll pull her ears down and away, so you won't touch them, but otherwise she likes getting her nosey scritched.

Cuddles, Smudge, and Ginger all head butt and face rub all over everything, but Prissy just doesn't like her face rubbed, even if she will groom everyone else's faces. With some kitties, I think it's just a personal thing.

Thanks for the link. Pretty interesting.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE that link. First learned about it here in TCS about 4 years ago, after I adopted Ferris, who was a feral rescue.

On that specific site, I learned more about communicating with my cats than anywhere else, and now people call me the cat whisperer and are amazed when my cats actually LISTEN and do what I ask of them!

I hold out my hand in a loose fist to greet my cats, and Ferris, Max and Bonnie will headbutt my hand. So does Sissy and now Squeaky. Penny is a bit head/hand shy and Ginger is one of those delicate touch gals (also a licker - I understand the contortions to get in some lickin-lovins!)

I learned about communication given through cat body language: ears, eyes, and tails, most specifically, and it was invaluable to me.

I think my cats behave so well for me because they know I know how to talk to them in "their" language. Of couse, I have no tail and can't lay my ears back, but I can hiss with the best of them!
And most importantly, I can READ them and know just who needs what, when.

Thanks for posting the link, because it definitely is worth a looksee if you haven't already.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Carly has this way of leaning in and pressing her forehead on my cheek, purring.

Lucy didn't do headbutts for the first few years of her life, but started after watching Carly. Lucy's headbutts tend to be more pushy. There are a lot of things Lucy started to do after we got Carly so I think they learn a lot observing other cats.

Much rubbed her cheek on everything. We have dark spots on the corners that are about one foot from the floor. They make me miss her daily.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This really is a great article Snickerdoodle, thanks for posting it here! I loved the illustrations too, very helpful..

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

This tends to be true for a lot of animals.. why humans in some cultures so persistently rely on it as some form of communication is beyond me! I don't make eye contact with animals and have learned to fake it pretty well with people, but I've noticed that animals do see drawn to me.

Re: head butting. I think it depends on kitten hood exposure. If they were brought up with that being a type of communication they'll do it. Of my cats, Sho and Siri don't do this at all - Sho was an only cat until 4 years old, I don't know about Siri but I suspect she was, too. Both misread cat body language pretty badly and get overly defensive. Then I have Boo, outdoor kitty, who's the opposite of those two - he's naive of other cats and will walk up and try to be instant friends even if their body language says they don't want it.
Casper and Tex seriously misread cat body language... and i think the wiring in their noggins is a bit "off". Casper is a big-time head butt-er. He also rubs and pushes on me, gives kisses and loves belly rubs. But it took a while to get there.

I get various forms of head-butting and nudging from the other cats. Tex also "love-blinks" me more than the other kitties.

Archie has become quite the talker - just this evening, we had a conversation. I went something like this:
RrRrrrrrrooowwwwww. RAhhhoooooooooowwww?
I'm in here
Rrrrrrroooooo. (Comes in to make sure I am in the bedroom.)
Silence.....
(Scratching at a closed door upstairs.)
RRRROOOOOOOOOWWWWWAAHHHHRR??
No, I am not opening that door for you.
RRRrooow?
No.
Rrrrr?
No
Mrrrph?
No.
(Grunts and walks away).
I'm serious. He understands ME, but then... I understand HIM, TOO!

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

That sounds like my convos with Smudge! he doesn't know how to use an indoor voice, it's always like someone just grabbed him by the tail and strung him up! Scares me and hubby every single time!