Intelligent?

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I got my cat about 3 months back. She is now about 6 months old. She seems pretty smart, but I'm just asking if there is any way to test your cats intelligence. Online it says you could put a treat or their favorite toy behind a box and see if they go behind the box to get it, but that test seems pretty easy. Thanks.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
There is the box test, but, you're right that that test is easy. Something else you can try is using a food puzzle toy, either bought in a pet supply store, or homemade. You can even teach cats tricks! Charlie knows sit, high-five, spin, jump through a hoop, stand on hind legs, and come.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, right now I'm trying to teach my cat to sit, but it's not going too well. She sits if I push her butt down. Then I click the clicher and give her a treat. She doesn't seem to notice that she got the treat because she sat down. Also she tries to claw and bite the treat out of my hands. Is there anyway to stop this? Thanks.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I taught Charlie to sit by holding a treat in front of his face and slowly move the treat toward him, at which point he automatically sat down, and I gave him the treat.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I taught my cats to sit by holding a treat above their heads then slowly moving my hand away from me. They automatically track it with their heads and should sit. The only way my cats get wet food or treats is sitting... so their idea of begging is sitting :) I think I will work on teaching them to shake next :)