Integrating feral with inside cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wrote up very detailed space swapping instructions for myself. Because it is so hot in Arizona and the little cat room is not as cool as the rest of the house, Newman and Tommy will have the master bedroom, cat room, and catio during the day and Robbie, Sasha, and Malia will have it at night. After I've done that for however long I need to, I will use the harness and leash to try letting Newman out where Robbie is but I'm really in no hurry to do that and I'm not looking forward to it. This space swapping plan might end up being the permanent solution.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wrote up very detailed space swapping instructions for myself. Because it is so hot in Arizona and the little cat room is not as cool as the rest of the house, Newman and Tommy will have the master bedroom, cat room, and catio during the day and Robbie, Sasha, and Malia will have it at night. After I've done that for however long I need to, I will use the harness and leash to try letting Newman out where Robbie is but I'm really in no hurry to do that and I'm not looking forward to it. This space swapping plan might end up being the permanent solution.
Okay but scent swapping usually comes before room swapping while they remain in their own safe space - you want them to be familiar with the other cats scent in things like beds,towels,blankets,dens,Cubby's before actually swapping rooms- they should feel safe and secure where they are at with new scents introduced into that space first

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah:
When I was introducing my two cats, I used to periodically swap the blankets they were sleeping on. I also used to get pairs of old socks. I'd put one of the socks over my hand, pet Cat A round their head and face (where there are a lot of scent glands) and then leave it in the middle of Cat B's space for them to investigate the scent at their own pace. I didn't force it on them, they always had a choice about approaching it or ignoring it. At the same time, I'd be petting Cat B with the other sock over my hand and leaving that where Cat A had the option of investigating it. After a day I'd put the socks in the wash and repeat the process with a clean pair.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There has been a lot of scent swapping all along as I have continuously swapped bedding but I will do more and I will use the sock petting too.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
There has been a lot of scent swapping all along as I have continuously swapped bedding but I will do more and I will use the sock petting too.
Understood BUT you are starting over so just pretend that you've never done anything- thats a fresh start at ground zero

Fortunately with cats they can start over and by taking each step gives them a chance to reset as if they've never met

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As always I am eternally grateful for your help, guidance, and encouragement!

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long do you think I should do intensive scent swapping before space swapping? There will be scent swapping with the room swapping also as all scents will be in my bedroom since Group A will use it during the day and Group B will use it at night. That doesn't take care of the rest of the house tho. So I guess that's when the harness and leash will come in.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Part of the reason I'm anxious to do the space swapping is because the cat room adjacent to the catio where Newman and Tommy are now is not as cool as the rest of the house and on April 21 it was 100 degrees outside.

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is an enclosed former patio and does not have a duct to take A/C there but is open to the rest of the house and currently has a screen door to separate the cats and allow cool air to get to it. Some heat comes in from the doggie door also.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It is an enclosed former patio and does not have a duct to take A/C there but is open to the rest of the house and currently has a screen door to separate the cats and allow cool air to get to it. Some heat comes in from the doggie door also.
Well if you do have a solid door you can always bring it down to about 6 ft,,leaving 2 feet open up top so the A/C can cool it down - plus a ceiling fan would help bring that cool air in from the rest of the house-

I'd give it like 30 days - thsts the avg for a well established territory- by then it'll be summer so I understand your concern,that room will need to be cool for them - my patio gets mighty hot but the ceiling fan does a good job and being it's screens there's no way to implement the A/C

❤

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the screen door installed where there was no door before, separating the bedroom from the closet and a small 5x7 room. Some cool air still gets in there through the screen door so it's still much cooler than the catio but not as cool as the bedroom because of the doggie door in there that lets some heat in. It's already summer here but I have a temperature gauge in there so I can make sure it's cool enough. The cats tolerate more heat than I can tolerate. I did think of a ceiling fan and I might do that too. Currently there are two recessed lights in that room so it wouldn't be hard to add a ceiling fan. I will scent swap for 30 days before moving to space swapping if I can keep their current space cool enough for that long!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the screen door installed where there was no door before, separating the bedroom from the closet and a small 5x7 room. Some cool air still gets in there through the screen door so it's still much cooler than the catio but not as cool as the bedroom because of the doggie door in there that lets some heat in. It's already summer here but I have a temperature gauge in there so I can make sure it's cool enough. The cats tolerate more heat than I can tolerate. I did think of a ceiling fan and I might do that too. Currently there are two recessed lights in that room so it wouldn't be hard to add a ceiling fan. I will scent swap for 30 days before moving to space swapping if I can keep their current space cool enough for that long!
That's sounds like a plan,you have to let them restart or there's no sense in starting over- clean slate and believe me by slowing it all down this time around it will make a big difference

And stay positive,put your fears and doubts away and stay encouraged-takes a long time to overcome some conflicting personalities but I NEVER buy into " oh they'll never" " they wont" or " they cant" .....it is something you have control over and some will disagree but you decide for yourself,are we not the intelligent creature? Problem solvers? The head of the household?

With your guidance ,training and supervision you can set the tone of what is acceptable behavior and what is not- you really can with lots of love and patience The best relationships with pets are clearly seen by their desire to please ,that's what reconditioning is all about -some critters really need alot of individual attention and training than others,when they look to you for approval vs acting instinctively you know you're doing something very right but it takes alot of work,it doesn't just happen- you'll see the fruits of your labor

grawmmawmoses

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much as always for your positive attitude and guidance!!! I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have your help!