Insurance Help

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor little Mickey recently had a urinary blockage annnnd $1500 later he's home, happy and, peeing xD

So, after the huge chop to my wallet, I decided to look into insurance. Sadly I am not having much luck. Most places have said he is un-insurable due to his pre-existing condition. I've been looking and I do not know what to do.

I live in Canada, if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you and Mickey had to go through a blockage, but glad he is okay! I truly think you are not going to find coverage that will cover a future blockage, even if you do find general coverage for him. What food is he on now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is on Royal Canin urinary wet food from his vet.
I understand the companies reasoning behind refusing pre-existing conditions but honestly, its crap. We don't know if he will reblock (hoping he doesn't).

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It certainly is CRAP, I agree! I don't think they should discriminate against pets with preexisting conditions anymore than they should people with preexisting conditions.

Royal Canin is good stuff, even better that he is eating the wet. My boy has been on that since his blockage/surgery over a year ago and is doing well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your guy is doing well! I hope and pray the same for Mickey. We only have him eating the wet. The vet mentioned "CD" as well but for now, he seems to like this brand.

Any tips on getting him to drink more water? We have several bowls out but he's being stubborn. I get a mini heart attack every time he starts licking. Nervous momma over here

I wish there was someone we could write to and complain!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like the Original Drinkwell fountains, but they are plastic, so they get grungy even with regular cleaning. But the pumps last a long time. They have some nice ceramic ones, but I have not tried them. Probably easier to clean.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another option besides pet insurance is setting money aside in a separate account. If you start now with the amount you would have been willing to spend each month on insurance, it can make a huge difference if he has more issues. Hopefully his problems are few and far between!