Instinct Ultimate Vs Original

Catlover9845

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I've been trying to compare the two, but can't find a definitive answer about how much better (if at all) the ultimate is to the original.

Can anybody chime in? The ultimate costs about a third more than the original. I'm willing to swing for it if it's really better for Sierra.

I also feed canned food for 1 meal every other day. (and I don't want this to turn into a discussion of wet food being better than dry).

Thank you for the help!!

Instinct Ultimate Protein | Instinct Pet Food

Instinct Original | Instinct Pet Food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover9845

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm talking about comparing 2 dry foods by the way. I realized I didn't explicitly mention that.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From just a quick look comparing the two chicken recipes, the Ultimate is claiming 95% protein from Chicken. Doesn't specify specifically what parts of the chicken but that's pretty good for a dry food. It also contains no peas and specifies that it doesn't add animal meals. It does list tapioca as the second ingredient which is a starch and filler.

The Original claims 81% protein from animal sources which includes the animal meals. It also contains peas which are a filler and protein source. Tapicoa is lower on the list but still there.

Personally, I'd try the Ultimate. It may cost more up front. And it probably will cost more in the long run, but you'll probably make up for some of it in the long run. My cat always ate more (quantity) of the dry foods that contained more fillers, plant proteins and carbs than he did of the foods that contained a higher percentage of calories from actual meats.

But that assumes that the Ultimate doesn't actually contain more carbs than the original due to the Tapioca.

Last edited: