Instinct Formula Change?

haemslee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Has anyone noticed that Nature’s Variety Instinct changed their wet food formula? The packing is slightly different, but the formula seems to have changed as well... My cat possibly has a food allergy so she’s been eating the rabbit formula. I gave her the new formula today and she won’t eat it! Anyone have any information on the change? :((

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Sorry, i hate when they change formulas on a good food, causes cats all kinds of issues. I don't know about NV, its not a food i feed, but i noticed someone else posted today that they had changed the dry. I don't know if you shop online, or have stores nearby that you buy from? maybe you can check around and find some of the old cans, then mix it with the new? That might get her use to the changes they made?

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, unfortunately.

I've been feeding my cat NV's Pride Wet Minced for about 6 or 7 months. I pay very close attention to every ingredient in my cat's food...

A few weeks ago I posted that suddenly Romeo had started eating his food veraciously; while he loved this brand from the get go, I was puzzled why this might be. My brother suggested something was in the food to make it more addictive.

So, I started researching about how companies will combine certain phosphates & meat fats to make food more appetizing. Not a bad thing right? We all want kitty to like their food, but I was disturbed at how fast he was eating.

I hadn't checked the label on the Pride for a couple of months, as I order it automatic from Chewy, but when I did I noticed "natural flavor" had been added, & swore the ingredient list was much longer.

I don't like when companies change their long-standing formulas, particularly without notifying customers. This is 3rd brand (Wellness, Halo, NV) that has done it recently.

I feel like I have to switch again because I don't think it's healthy to have a food he's so addicted to...

I hope that helps!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, unfortunately.

I've been feeding my cat NV's Pride Wet Minced for about 6 or 7 months. I pay very close attention to every ingredient in my cat's food...

A few weeks ago I posted that suddenly Romeo had started eating his food veraciously; while he loved this brand from the get go, I was puzzled why this might be. My brother suggested something was in the food to make it more addictive.

So, I started researching about how companies will combine certain phosphates & meat fats to make food more appetizing. Not a bad thing right? We all want kitty to like their food, but I was disturbed at how fast he was eating.

I hadn't checked the label on the Pride for a couple of months, as I order it automatic from Chewy, but when I did I noticed "natural flavor" had been added, & swore the ingredient list was much longer.

I don't like when companies change their long-standing formulas, particularly without notifying customers. This is 3rd brand (Wellness, Halo, NV) that has done it recently.

I feel like I have to switch again because I don't think it's healthy to have a food he's so addicted to...

I hope that helps!
It is good to have food that our cats really like. I do try to keep several different foods, different flavors and brands in a rotation. That way they don't get as hooked on one, and if the companies, as they are want to do, change the formula or discontinue a food it isn't as traumatic!

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Groan. Just yesterday I tried Instinct Beef for my INCREDIBLY finicky Pawnee and she LOVED it. Before I added it to my Chewy auto-ship, I thought I would check here for any comments or experience with it, and found this thread. Guess I will add it to my rotation can by can for a while first, partly to see if she still likes it after a while (she changes her mind frequently!), and also wait for the nutrition consult we are setting up recommends. Sigh. All my life I never had a finicky cat, but she takes the cake. With multiple bizarro health problems, she needs a lot of fussing!

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi duckpond-

Thanks for the reply.

I've always heard it was best to keep them on one brand, so that's what I've tried to do, but these days it seems harder to find food that fits all my criteria (grain-free, preservative-free, all natural etc.), & that kitty will eat!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi duckpond-

Thanks for the reply.

I've always heard it was best to keep them on one brand, so that's what I've tried to do, but these days it seems harder to find food that fits all my criteria (grain-free, preservative-free, all natural etc.), & that kitty will eat!
I also have a hard time finding foods my cats like, and that i like too. I know everyone has different views on how to feed, and that's fine :) But i have always tried to find as many different brands as i can, that i like their food and ingredients. I think cats need variety, just like we do. And i think nutritional a variety is better as well. Just my opinion. And it sure makes it easier if a food is out of stock, updated, or discontinued.

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello jtsie-

Ugh is right.

As an aside, I LOVE Chewy. I've requested that they sell cans individually so that people can try things out before buying a whole case. Maybe if more folks do that, they'll implement the suggestion. Sometimes you just can't find a certain brand in the store.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Chewy too, but i wish they would sell individual cans too, i have also posted that to them! one place i do order from, they don't carry as many brands as chewy, but you can buy individual cans is Canned Food for Cats at Only Natural Pet Store I have had good luck with them.

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have a hard time finding foods my cats like, and that i like too. I know everyone has different views on how to feed, and that's fine :) But i have always tried to find as many different brands as i can, that i like their food and ingredients. I think cats need variety, just like we do. And i think nutritional a variety is better as well. Just my opinion. And it sure makes it easier if a food is out of stock, updated, or discontinued.
That's a good point.

I'm thinking about going back to Wellness because I've fed my cats that for 15 yrs., but I'd prefer to find something even better.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
HesSoFluffy HesSoFluffy I was surprised to read that you'd gotten advice to keep them on only one brand. I must say, these days when manufacturers are constantly changing their ingredient list and formulas (and not always to the good!), using additives that are questionable if not downright bad such as menadione (a synthetic vitamin K), and using starches and glutens that can cause allergies under long term exposure, or flat out discontinuing a variety for whatever reason, --to me I look at it more from the standpoint of the Big Guy's digestive system as well as his palate. Having him eating different brands along with some raw, some non-onion/no garlic baby food and a variety of manufacturers treats gives his system a better chance of sloughing off the ill effects of too much of any one bad ingredient that might cause allergies or worse.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a good point.

I'm thinking about going back to Wellness because I've fed my cats that for 15 yrs., but I'd prefer to find something even better.
If your cats don't have allergies, you can definitely try Rawz and their different varieties. They don't have much, but it's an excellent food with poultry and non-poultry that you can add to your rotation. My cats like the textures and there's even some sauce.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haemslee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies! :) it’s good to know that I’m not the only one upset about the sudden changes. I usually buy my cans in store but I bought it in a bulk so im going to have to return it :( In the meantime, does anyone know a good quality rabbit wet food? I was thinking of looking into Ziwipeak!

haemslee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bought the ziwipeak today and she wouldn’t eat it :((

haemslee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! She’s pretty stubborn though... she won’t eat something she doesn’t like :/