Insomia hell... anyone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for ALL the good advice.
I think I am going to try one of those machines that play nature sounds. Perhaps that might help... Though I'm usually oblivious to sound/light when trying to sleep. It's the INTERNAL thoughts that keep me up.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing that has come out in research in the UK recently, is the link between being out in the daylight and getting a good night's sleep. It stemmed from research about babies who were put out in the prams in the garden for a sleep during the daytime. These babies tended to be better sleepers at night.

It lead them to further research which suggests that about an hour outside in the afternoon helps to regulate the body clock and set the body up for sleep later.

It may be worth taking a walk in the late afternoon/early evening if you are able.

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried Sleepytime tea with honey? It helped me normalize my sleeping cycles after I stopped bartending.

5catsandcountin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have severe asthma, which during the summer is horrible for good sleep and within 7 eyars, I had 4 kids, the last two were only 11 months apart, plus I suffered with depression for about 8 years. By the time I got off the anti depressents, and did not have a baby to feed or help during the night, it took me an ADDITIONAL 2 years to get back on a good sleeping pattern.

I too quit my job, got a divorce, went into working for myself and no longer needs the pills of any kind. I do find that if I don't took a GOOD B complex, I get mine at Trader Joes, my anxiety will creep back in and mess me up in many ways.

What worked for me:

#1 Being honest about the stress in life & making those changes, even the hard choices

#2 Exersize helps

#3 a good b complex

#4 TIME

#5 white noise. I have been sleeping with the same machine since I was 15..I am now 35.

#6 I did use meletonin for awhile right after my last baby and it did help.

good luck

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've also been using Melatonin and find it to be very helpful.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually go for that relaxation process form the other direction. I lie on my back and relax my toes, then my feet, ankles... yadda yadda until I get as far as my head... normally I don't get that far because I seem to drift off around about the time I start to relax my arms. If that fails I go and lie on the sofa and put something mindles son the video - something I've seen dozens of times before, just as background noise. THose are really only on very bad nights though. I've always listened to audiobooks at bedtime - I'm a big kid really - but getting into a routine does wonders. I tend to have a warm drink - not too hot, I'm prone to burning myself
- take it up in the bath and have a warm, but not hot, bath with lavender oil or bubblebath in it. Then I climb into bed and stick on the audiobook. All you really have to do is lie there and let the words wash over you. I find it's always good to listen to audiobooks read by only one person... a new voice tends to keep you awake. I've always listened to Tony Robinson reading Terry Pratchett.... he's got a lovely voice to listen to - sometimes I don't even hear past the first few sentences! If that interests you I can always pick one up and send it out to you

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a pretty stressful job, and I had a lot going on in my life...and I had insomnia due to that stress, just like you. My doctor prescribed me zoloft to help with the anxiety....and what do you know?? It worked!! It made me sleepy, too, so I took it at bedtime, ran the humidifyer and my fan, and went to sleep. Maybe your doctor needs to prescribe you something that targets anxiety and see if that helps as well. I was prescribed Ativan, but didnt take it because they are easy to get addicted to.
Maybe talk to your doctor about dealing with the anxiety and see if they can prescribe something for it. Zoloft is good, and from what I understand, there arent any withdrawal symptoms. Paxil is another one...but I was a little concerned about committing to that one because I was only on it for a short amount of time, and I know for a fact that Paxil has withdrawal symptoms.
You already have a counselor so thats half the battle with anxiety. Ever been diagnosed with an axnxiety problem? Like General Anxiety Disorder? Maybe thats the problem...not properly diagnosed.
Everything that I could sugggest you have tried. Hot baths didnt relax me either, just made me more awake...reading or writing just left my mind racing with even more issues....giving my mind free reign to worry about stupid things (like at 3am...thinking..gosh...what happened to my music box? Where is my black shirt....did I wash my skirt? and on and on and on until it was time to get up and go to work!)
Maybe get yourself on a schedule. Go to bed the same time, get up the same time. Do not go back to sleep, and do not take naps throughout the day. Make your bedroom for sleeping only (and one other activity...you know...g-rated website
) dont watch tv, dont read. That way your mind knows its time for sleep. Keep the room dark, invest in black out lined drapes. You can get them professionally made for your window size. Keep that room slightly cooler than you like. Maybe cut the heat down at night ( My doctor had me try this, and it worked...even though in an extremely warm room, I can fall asleep.) or drop the air conditioner a little bit more at night. Get a fan, and run a fan. Get a humidifyer and run that as well. I think the sounds are peaceful. If your cats wake you up constantly like mine do, kick them out of the room and shut the door until you kick this habit.

Good luck, and I hope maybe some of my advice helps!