Insane cat

bizbizani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there!

I have a 6 month old rescued Arabian Mau (personally rescued him when he was 2 months) and almost right away his problems started

Hyperactivity, biting, scratching.. you name it

I neutered him about a month ago and it didn't seem to make him any calmer

I play with him a lot throughout the day, he has toys of all sorts and he still bites hands and feet DURING play even though I don't use them to play with him, and most times it draws blood

Here's what I do:

1. Constant play

2. No hands/feet

3. I spray him with water when he bites

4. Sometimes I get frustrated where I end up locking him in the room and this I really want to stop doing, I understand it's wrong

Seems like whatever I do he's focused on hands and feet

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome! I doubt that you cat is insane!! ;) The Arabian Mau is an exceptional cat. One thing to consider if adopting a Mau is their inherent "street" behavior. They are very, very agile, endlessly curious, intelligent, assertive, affectionate and highly interactive. That means your cat will likely retain a lot of his/her wild characteristics even when raised in a home. I have never owned a Mau but know of others who have them and they have a hard time distinguishing between hunting and playing. It is really good to have two together so that they have a constant companion. Maybe you could adopt another "highly interactive" breed? :dk: I have heard that they do love water but we do not recommend "spraying" anything at a cat for discipline. Do you have any of those cat wand toys? This would be the best thing to have near you at all times BUT don't leave it loose because the cat will eat the string. Keep all wand toys in a cabinet when you are not watching. Locking him in a room will only fuel his desire for more attention and also wanting to "vent" off steam for being "put away". Probably making things worse but you already said you understand it is wrong.

I am sorry that I don't have much more to say other than trying to "redirect" his attention from your hands/feet with some sort of wand toy. "Da Bird" is a favorite as well as "The Cat Dancer" which is on a wire. Possibly getting another kitten that is JUST as energetic would help also. Remember, he is also still a kitten and being a Mau on top of that makes a recipe for MEGA MEGA energy. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bizbizani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome! I doubt that you cat is insane!!
The Arabian Mau is an exceptional cat. One thing to consider if adopting a Mau is their inherent "street" behavior. They are very, very agile, endlessly curious, intelligent, assertive, affectionate and highly interactive. That means your cat will likely retain a lot of his/her wild characteristics even when raised in a home. I have never owned a Mau but know of others who have them and they have a hard time distinguishing between hunting and playing. It is really good to have two together so that they have a constant companion. Maybe you could adopt another "highly interactive" breed?
I have heard that they do love water but we do not recommend "spraying" anything at a cat for discipline. Do you have any of those cat wand toys? This would be the best thing to have near you at all times BUT don't leave it loose because the cat will eat the string. Keep all wand toys in a cabinet when you are not watching. Locking him in a room will only fuel his desire for more attention and also wanting to "vent" off steam for being "put away". Probably making things worse but you already said you understand it is wrong.

I am sorry that I don't have much more to say other than trying to "redirect" his attention from your hands/feet with some sort of wand toy. "Da Bird" is a favorite as well as "The Cat Dancer" which is on a wire. Possibly getting another kitten that is JUST as energetic would help also. Remember, he is also still a kitten and being a Mau on top of that makes a recipe for MEGA MEGA energy.
Adopting another cat at the moment isn't an option, so I'll have to just work with him

I have tons of wand toys and use them to play most of the time, he really loves those but it still isn't enough to redirect his attention

I've read someone using Feliway to calm a hyperactive cat. Any ideas if it would work, or anything similar?

pawz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Have you tried any type of "interactive" cat toys such as the interactive laser toy, or the catzip chase toy? Perhaps a toy that plays with the cat instead of him going at your hands and feet might be a better option.  I agree that he may not be able to distinguish play and hunting as previously mentioned, so maybe by you taking yourself out of the "play" activities  it will help him. If you want to participate in his play time which is understandable  possibly try a cat fisher toy or a remote controlled toy for cats.  Save your contact with him to rewarding him with treats and petting ( if he allows you to do so).

My male cat also has a hard time with playing and will often get overstimulated and go after the hands, So I opt for toys like the cat tunnel, and the play circle that he may use whenever he wants and when I am not at home, and when I am home I will use a long handled feather toy which he goes insane for, or I give him his play mouse which will run all over the house and chase.

When your not playing with him, like for instance, if your just petting him or showing him love does he still go after your hands and feet?

I hope you find a solution for you and your cat,

best wishes!

magdalena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Brad was nuts when he was that age.  I'm backing the suggestion to use interactive toys that leave plenty of room between you and the baby.  I like the kind that is a stick with a string and either a mouse or feathers at the end of the string.  You can run a kitten hard with one of those.  Best to get the kind with replacements that snap onto the string or chain, because if your little one is like Bradley was, he will tear them up fast, which is a good thing.  I also like tunnels.  My boys have endless fun in theirs.  They have the kind that are a bunch of cubes velcroed together.  Very cheap and very fun.  At six months old, I'd say you need to do it at least twice a day, using the "boil and simmer" method.  Get him really panting ("boil"), let him rest a bit ("simmer") and then get him tired again - at least three times.

Bradley is now over 2 years old, he has a brother he plays with every day and he was neutered at six months old, but he will still attack my feet on occasion if he doesn't get a good interactive play session once a day.  I always make him jump for the bird or mouse, and I run him through his tunnel and up and down a cat tower a lot.  It wears him down faster. ;)

When Brad was a year old, I was wondering if he would ever calm down and if I would be running around with a bird on a string all the time for the rest of my life.  He finally chilled a lot, but it wasn't until he was around 2 years old.  Getting him a little brother to run roughshod with helped immensely.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 At six months old, I'd say you need to do it at least twice a day, using the "boil and simmer" method.  Get him really panting ("boil"), let him rest a bit ("simmer") and then get him tired again - at least three times.

I always make him jump for the bird or mouse, and I run him through his tunnel and up and down a cat tower a lot.  It wears him down faster. ;)
Most definitely this is the play your boy needs. Even try setting up a agility type course to run him through using one of his wand toys to lead him. He needs stimulation and wearing out. Have you tried leash training so you can run him outside from time to time? Many cats of his energy level do well when this is offered.