Inmates fostering homeless cats?

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I volunteer at our local prison. On a regular basis, as I'm going through the prison grounds, I see a number of inmates caring for dogs.

According to the staff, some of the inmates rehab dogs as a project for a dog rescue. The staff member commented that the guys benefit greatly from doing this, in addition to benefiting the homeless dogs.

It occurred to me, why couldn't inmates foster cats? I'll bet that the inmates would receive a lot of unconditional love and satisfaction from helping the animals and that the TLC would benefit the cats greatly.

Or are there logistical issues since cats typically aren't leashed animals? Just wanted to toss this idea out there to see if it had occurred to anyone else.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter that I used to volunteer at routinely sends cats to the Monroe prison here in Washington State. The inmates help to socialize challenging cases and care for cats until they are ready to be adopted. Inmates are very carefully screened (so people who have backgrounds with crimes that might make them less fit to care for a cat are not part of the program). I feel like it is a great way for inmates to give back to the community and for the shelters to find fosters for cats since foster homes are of course a limited commodity. 

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad they screen the inmates. I was initially worried about violent offense prisoners, as a lot of violent offenders have been known to hurt animals before turning to humans. I think this sounds like a wonderful program for non-violent offenders, and minimum security prisons. 

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did pet therapy with a group who took the cats and dogs to prisons, psych wards, childrens homes, and so on.

The problem is, inmates and ward patients can be incredibly impulsive. We screened people also but in the year I was with the group the following happened;

A prisoner who knew the dog visiting him sent from petting the dog to SUDDENLY giving it a kiss while snapping its neck. The dog died.

A woman in a psych ward, also who had been around the animals for quite some time, was talking to the animal while he lay his head on her lap. She snapped his neck.

A prisoner had snuck in a tool during a pet therapy session and used it to stab (and kill) an animal in the neck.

I think that working toward rehabilitation with people is great. However, these animals do not choose to be a part of the process and their lives should not be put in danger in effort to help someone. I refused to continue pet therapy. My cat and dog were NOT going to a bea tool for this and clearly, the risks are higher than many think.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did pet therapy with a group who took the cats and dogs to prisons, psych wards, childrens homes, and so on.

The problem is, inmates and ward patients can be incredibly impulsive. We screened people also but in the year I was with the group the following happened;

A prisoner who knew the dog visiting him sent from petting the dog to SUDDENLY giving it a kiss while snapping its neck. The dog died.

A woman in a psych ward, also who had been around the animals for quite some time, was talking to the animal while he lay his head on her lap. She snapped his neck.

A prisoner had snuck in a tool during a pet therapy session and used it to stab (and kill) an animal in the neck.

I think that working toward rehabilitation with people is great. However, these animals do not choose to be a part of the process and their lives should not be put in danger in effort to help someone. I refused to continue pet therapy. My cat and dog were NOT going to a bea tool for this and clearly, the risks are higher than many think.
That is true but I think it all depends on what the inmate is in for. Someone who committed a violent crime is a lot different than someone who got busted for selling a bag of weed or something like that. I wouldn't let an animal anywhere near a psych ward or a criminal with any history of violence towards anything or anyone but there are a lot of people in prisons for non violent or white collar crimes. Let them do the therapy- after a careful screening process of course. For every bad ending there are many, many good ones. The animals also don't choose to be homeless. They have a better chance this way than on their own. There are risks involved with most things in life. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In this case this isn't pet therapy, it is actually allowing the more harmless of criminals to foster animals while in prison. Prisoners have a lot of time on their hands and are perfect for socializing scared cats. Of course, people who are known to have mental issues or violence problems are screened out of the program whether they've ever harmed an animal or not.

The fosters for our program love their animals and are always sad to see them go when they are ready for adoption.

I also know someone who works with troubled young adults who are in prison. Her animal shelter has these young adults training and taking care of dogs that would otherwise be unadoptable. It is a great program since these dogs would otherwise be put to sleep.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

In this case this isn't pet therapy, it is actually allowing the more harmless of criminals to foster animals while in prison. Prisoners have a lot of time on their hands and are perfect for socializing scared cats. Of course, people who are known to have mental issues or violence problems are screened out of the program whether they've ever harmed an animal or not.

The fosters for our program love their animals and are always sad to see them go when they are ready for adoption.

I also know someone who works with troubled young adults who are in prison. Her animal shelter has these young adults training and taking care of dogs that would otherwise be unadoptable. It is a great program since these dogs would otherwise be put to sleep.
It is a great program and I say anything that helps another animal get placed in a good home is a good thing. The fact that it helps teach these young people to care for another living thing is a bonus. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those were my thoughts as well. Sure, occasionally there may be a bad outcome but it seems better than just euthanizing all those cats or dogs at the shelter.

Life is a balance of benefits and risks. I know that there is a small chance that I could get harmed while volunteering at the prison, but the rewards of volunteering far outweigh that risk for me.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The criminals were not considered violent who killed the animals. They "seemed" stable but theres a reason they are locked up. Certain mental disturbances can come out at any point and we never know most of their background. most petty of crimes dont land a person behind bars.
The same prison had the program youre talking about....but realized a prisoner was actually raping his dog...another had put the dogs head up his anus. It is NOT a better option for a dog or cat to live through these experiences in the dark vs being a stray. We only visited up to once a month, for less than a year and yet had all these occurances. Those are some pretty high rates and some serious risks for the animals. While the idea is nice, Im not a fan of putting animals or children into the position of being used as bait, sex objects, or experimental tools and cruelty. Yes,we need lower euthanasia rates but desperately placing them anywhere is not a good solution. Also, sadly, the statistics show that those who successfully work with the animaks are still more likely than not to revert back to old behaviors if released.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's horrible! I certainly see where you're coming from.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The criminals were not considered violent who killed the animals. They "seemed" stable but theres a reason they are locked up. Certain mental disturbances can come out at any point and we never know most of their background. most petty of crimes dont land a person behind bars.
The same prison had the program youre talking about....but realized a prisoner was actually raping his dog...another had put the dogs head up his anus. It is NOT a better option for a dog or cat to live through these experiences in the dark vs being a stray. We only visited up to once a month, for less than a year and yet had all these occurances. Those are some pretty high rates and some serious risks for the animals. While the idea is nice, Im not a fan of putting animals or children into the position of being used as bait, sex objects, or experimental tools and cruelty. Yes,we need lower euthanasia rates but desperately placing them anywhere is not a good solution. Also, sadly, the statistics show that those who successfully work with the animaks are still more likely than not to revert back to old behaviors if released.
I totally get where you are coming from. All of the examples are really horrible.

I've never heard of any problems in the programs that I am talking about, although this might be because the programs have a high level of supervision. For example, the dogs are not kept with the inmates at all times, but have a kennel they keep them in when they aren't being worked with. Inmates are supervised when with the dogs. Either way these dogs would be euthanized if not for the program. It is great to say that shelters should try to solve the problems of overcrowding and the need for high euthanasia rates, but it simply isn't possible especially with some of these dogs. They simply don't have the volunteers and fosters to work with them. They aren't just placing them anywhere, they are working with a dedicated program that has amazing results (admittedly more amazing for the dogs than the inmates).

As for the cat shelter, this particular shelter doesn't euthanize cats in its system, but does take cats and kittens that would be euthanized elsewhere. The program has led to the adoption of over 600 cats. In the eleven years that they have been doing the program they have only had two problems with inmates abusing cats. I would say that that for the 600 cats that would otherwise be dead and the loving families who got to have these cats in their lives it was worth the risk of potential harm. We have many more problems with abuse in approved foster families and people who these animals are adopted out to despite rigerous screening. The only way to keep all the cats 100% safe is to keep them in shelters, which is in no way an option.

Here are some links to information on the program:

http://purrfectpals.org/about/our-prison-foster-program/

http://purrfectpals.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/PowerofPurr1.pdf