Injury to nose or something else?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I forgot to mention in my other post about Xena that he seems to have injured his nose, I think he may be trying to get out of the cage. I am not sure what is going on but a lot of the time when I have been away and I come back the whole cage, (he is in a big drop trap with the carrier attached now), is moved all over the place- the litter boxes all over, the food dishes all over, water spilled and wee pads are all torn up etc.

So I noticed yesterday I think that he had what looked like a cut on his nose and I’m wondering what you think. I’m attaching a picture here. Is this an injury, has he self injured himself or is it something else?

At some point last year when he reappeared he had big patches of fur missing and I was thinking he might have mange. I only saw this on my security cams and then eventually his fur all grew back. I’m just wondering if that could be related to this?
Oddly enough when I came in yesterday after having fed him a huge amount of the wet food before bed nothing in the cage was moved around for once.

So I’m wondering if he’s just feeling hungry and he’s pushing things all over and then scraped his nose on the cage doing that. There is no way for me to put some ointment on it or anything because he’s not touchable at all.

C9AE74FD-DC25-4877-8CD8-9E4DCAF6F260.jpeg

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like it is from rubbing on the wire of his cage. You might have to get him in a bigger dog kennel with a small overturned box to hide in, or the covered carrier. I think he feels too confined. My ferals shredded their pee pads and overturned everything too when I kept them in their traps overnight. But they were released the next day. I think he would feel a little better if he had a larger space. I see you are treating him and it will need to be repeated. Get some lickable treat to put his med sin and you may be able to release him sooner if he likes the treats. I hope his stool firms up soon, but stress will also make it loose. I pray he gets better soon, bless you for helping him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like it is from rubbing on the wire of his cage. You might have to get him in a bigger dog kennel with a small overturned box to hide in, or the covered carrier. I think he feels too confined. My ferals shredded their pee pads and overturned everything too when I kept them in their traps overnight. But they were released the next day. I think he would feel a little better if he had a larger space. I see you are treating him and it will need to be repeated. Get some lickable treat to put his med sin and you may be able to release him sooner if he likes the treats. I hope his stool firms up soon, but stress will also make it loose. I pray he gets better soon, bless you for helping him!
Thanks. It is actually a large cage you are only seeing the carrier portion of it which is attached to a much larger cage- it is a drop trap so he does have a lot of room to walk around in. it’s just not as tall in height as some thing like a dog crate. It is also all I have available for this. I tamed merlin in this and all of my outdoor kitties stay in here as they recover from their surgeries etc. whether they are going to be released or not. he is the only one he has ever messed everything up or tried to get out of it I guess he’s a feisty one, he still hissing and spitting at me but he’s on gabapentin twice a day now for stress.

I want to see if he can tame and let him out in the room but I can’t do that until I know he’s going to use the litter pan because he’ll be spraying and peeing all over everything and I have to make sure his poop is better- he has giardia and round worm so will contaminate things if he is not using the litter pan, plus if he hast to go back to DVM I don’t know if I’m gonna be able to get him in the carrier if he’s not in the drop trap. Then he has to be really trapped in the have a heart which is Traumatic for him I already had to do that once because he escaped from the drop trap. Right after I trapped him before his neuter.

I will try the lickable treats I am worried that they’re going to make his diarrhea worse. It seemed like it was getting better but then after I gave him more soft food it got worse again so I am not sure if it’s still from giardia or the food or whatever. He will eat his medication in the nine lives mixed with some Tiki cat chicken mousse. But sometimes if he’s not hungry enough he will reject it for a while. Especially if the metro is in it.