Injury on face. Advice?

Glennyt92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I was hoping I could draw upon your collect expertise for some advice on what to do with my cat who has a nasty mark on her face. I’ve attached a photo.

She’s 10 years old and does go outdoors. Two days ago I noticed a small cut on her whiskers which, over the last few days, has spread larger. I can only think it has spread because she’s been licking it and pawing at her whilst she cleans.

If she showed any obvious signs of pain, of course I would’ve taken her to a vets but she’s her usual self; affectionate, greedy, etc. No signs of anything actually wrong.

It’s very difficult to actually do anything myself because, as affectionate as she is, she doesn’t like being picked up and as you can see from the location of it, it’s hard to clean because it’s around her whiskers. When I did swab it with some water, it felt dry and crusty and on top of the skin, rather than dug her inside her face!

What do you guys think?

Thanks v much!
CB618038-810C-4750-9FAD-CB364B2EC928.jpeg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't appear to be infected or have any pus. The crusty stuff is probably granulation which means it is healing. Make sure it is clean and never red or irritated and it should heal up eventually.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sweet baby! That looks worse than it probably is to her. If you have an established relationship with your vet, send them a photo and see what they recommend. Most vets would probably prefer that due to covid, anyway.

I would keep her inside while it heals so she doesn't accidentally rip the scab off. If she will tolerate an e-collar, put one on so she doesn't keep messing with it. Keep doing what you're doing to keep the area clean. ASK VET FIRST, but see if they recommend putting regular Neosporin (plain, no pain relief, etc) on it to keeo infection at bay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Glennyt92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Doesn't appear to be infected or have any pus. The crusty stuff is probably granulation which means it is healing. Make sure it is clean and never red or irritated and it should heal up eventually.
Thank you! It’s a relief to read that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Glennyt92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, sweet baby! That looks worse than it probably is to her. If you have an established relationship with your vet, send them a photo and see what they recommend. Most vets would probably prefer that due to covid, anyway.

I would keep her inside while it heals so she doesn't accidentally rip the scab off. If she will tolerate an e-collar, put one on so she doesn't keep messing with it. Keep doing what you're doing to keep the area clean. ASK VET FIRST, but see if they recommend putting regular Neosporin (plain, no pain relief, etc) on it to keeo infection at bay.
Thanks! That’s really useful. You’re right, she’s probably really confused why I’m making such a fuss! No changes in her behaviour whatsoever.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
That being said- cats are also prey animals, so it's instinctual for them not to show signs of pain. Not that she is currently in pain, but for a cat to limp, cry, etc., they REALLY have to be hurting because, in the wild, they would be an easy target. Just something to keep in the back of your mind for (sadly, inevitable) future ailments. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I am not an alarmist but when it comes to our pets I trust my vet's opinion. Therefore, for your own peace of mind I would contact the vet to ensure that your cat's wound does not become infected. It's my personal belief to be better safe than sorry and err on the side of caution. You can call the vet and/or e-mail them with a pic explaining what happened and how you've been treating the wound so far. Fingers crossed it heals and she feels better soon. :crossfingers: