Injured Kitty

sabca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old female came over to my chair last night and slipped getting up (leather recliner with a blanket on it). Tried again and same thing happened. Noticed a little later she was limping with her right hind leg. Sore to touch. Growling at me. Took her to ER vet. No X-ray but vet thought it was a sprain. Gave me Onsior for inflammation and buprenorphrine for pain. When I got her home, I gave her the Onsior but decided to hold off on the buprenorphine as it is a narcotic. Her brother really gave her the once over when we got home. They are siblings and a bonded pair.

This morning she is still acting the same. What is puzzling me is that her brother is seeing her as a different cat. He is approaching her with a bushy tail and even growling. I am upset enough with her injury and now his actions are compounding the situation. I am guessing it is because she smells different from being at the vet and also because she is not acting like herself. But that seems to be better now.

I am sick over this. She is my best buddy and I can't get near her. She is just miserable. Vet wants me to limit her movement but hard to do as my house is small. She and her brother share a litter box and food bowls.

Talked with the vet office this morning and was told I really need to confine her movement and use the buprenorphine which I will now do, if I can get a hold of her.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you put her, a litter box, food and water in your bathroom. Making her a bed of course. I know it doesn't seem fair, but it's only temporary until she heals.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent idea, for the time being! As kashmir64 kashmir64 says, it is temporary.

As for the growling, you hit the nail on the head. This is fairly common, and SOME cats have to be reintroduced, as if they were total strangers. Looks like this won't be necessary in this case, though.

I know you are so upset about your beloved cat being injured, but she should heal quickly. Give the pain meds. Pain actually blocks the body from healing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have her confined to our office. She seems to be more comfortable this afternoon after the narcotic kicked in. More calm. Still not sleeping much. She is liking it when I pet her. She stretches out and purrs.

She ate some kibble and some of her wet food. More importantly, she just used the litter box to pee!!!! I am going to keep her here for the duration which I hope ends soon. She is still limping but it is only just 2 hours shy of 24 hrs since this happened.

Stay tuned.

If she is not doing any better by Thursday I will take her to our vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can get a large wire dog crate, that might also work for you. You can set it up in a common area and her brother can be with her. Might create less stress all the way around and she would be protected from any pestering from him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For some reason, healing in both humans and animals has that "three day" thing going. When you sprain or strain, the third day is when you feel it most, and on the forth it begins to get better. Bear that in mind!