Injured Feral, What Should I Do?

Floridacatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a female feral cat who is 8. I've taken care of her since she was a few months old, she had her one litter in my bedroom closet, was spayed, and has lived in our yard since. I'm allowed to pet her every once-in-awhile, but that's it for her and human contact.
A week ago, a dog chased her up a tree. I tried unsuccessfully to coax her down for 4 days and finally called a tree-climber who rescues cats. He climbed the tree, she went higher. She finally got scared enough that she ran down as far as she could and then jumped-from about 65'. She landed awkwardly and then dragged herself (back legs weren't working) into the hollow base of another tree, where she's been now for 36 hours.
I've left water and food and check on her every few hours. It looks like her spot is kind of tight -she is head in but has managed to push herself backward a bit, trying to get out of the hole.
We are torn between leaving her be,hoping she can manage to get out by herself and just forcibly yanking her out.
Any thoughts?
Thank you,

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Contact a rescue group, if you have one near, and explain what’s going on. Poor baby needs to be removed, vet checked and provided food and water asap.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sad and scary - - I can only imagine your anxiety level!! I know I'd be panic-stricken too :(

From your description - it doesn't sound like she's going to be able to get herself out, since judging from your description of her lack of mobility in her back legs, it sounds like she did some kind of damage. And if she's wedged head in - - and if her back legs still aren't working well, I think it would be hard to free herself since it sounds as though she'd have to back out. I could be picturing this incorrectly, but when I do try to picture it, it sounds almost impossible for her to maneuvering around to eat or drink. You haven't seen her do so have you?

As trudy1 trudy1 advised, I'd start trying to get a rescue organization to help. Rescue organizations are usually extra swamped on Monday mornings - - so you may have to push extra hard to talk to someone. I'd call everything from humane societies to animal shelters to spay/neuter clinics (if you've got a vet you normally see, while they probably can't come do anything, if you're not having luck getting help - your vet might be able to suggest someplace you haven't tried - or even offer someone specific to talk to). Everyplace you call - explain what happened - and how dire the situation is (since it's not JUST the injury, it's the ability to get herself out). Don't push too hard the fact that she's feral - - some places will immediately tune out after they hear "feral" as many shelters have no way to house or treat ferals. I'm not saying lie - but push the fact that you've been feeding her for 8 years and you will continue to be her caretaker if someone can just help you get her out so that you can get her medical help. Hopefully you'll find someone who'll offer you the support you and the poor kitty need!!!

Keep us posted - - you know we'll all be thinking about you and the kitty.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:confused2::cold: Ugh....no updates yet....sending prayers for that poor kitty. This is yet another reason for dogs not to be at large; they need to be kept on leash if they are not under voice control. My dad raised German Sheperds and they were controlled by both voice & body signals - they did not chase small animals "because it is what dogs do"; they knew what was allowed - kept cougars, coyotes, raccoons away from the yards, protected free range chickens from hawks yet did not molest chickens, sheep or cats.