Injured feral advice

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone’s unleashed dog attacked a feral cat in front of our house yesterday. It was all caught on the security camera and her cries were terrible. I do leave out food for strays and I TNR’d this girl at least 2-3 years ago.

Normally she would run away from people but she sat there in the dirt while we got closer with a trap so we could bring her to a vet. She tried to climb over a wall to get away from us, but it seems her back legs couldn’t manage it, which is what worries me…

This happened Saturday evening so the only places open were ER vets. We waited and they had to sedate her to examine because she is aggressive. The vet said everything looked normal from what he could tell while she was sedated, except she had “minor” puncture wounds under tail and right leg. Since she was under anesthesia already, I was prepared to euthanize had the news been bad. But he said she would totally be able to heal from this within 1-2 weeks. So we agreed with his recommendation to just clean up and give injections for pain/antibiotics.

We got home last night and put her in a small crate in the garage with a litter box, bedding and food. I’ve seen a few ferals recover from sedation after TNR, but I never saw them fumble around. I’m not sure if it’s because she had recently woken up from sedation, or something worse? I’m very concerned whether she is unable to use her back legs, paralyzed or something. She is very spicy so it would be an ordeal to get her into a trap and back to a vet, to be sedated again and euthanized?

How many days is too long to wait? How many days is too soon to not give her a chance to recover? How will I even be able to tell her leg function as she sits there in the crate? I don’t want to release her if she is very injured and unable to survive out there.

I feel awful about the whole thing and just hate to see her suffer. There’s only so much I can do because she is feral, and I don’t have any help from a rescue or anything. There is only 1 in this area and they haven’t been responsive to requests from me before. We are $700 in from the first vet visit.

From the camera my husband said it looks like the dog stared at her for a short time before attacking, so what if she was already injured/sick and that’s why she couldn’t get away fast enough… But it’s also possible she could have just been sleeping there and didn’t notice the dog. Just a lot of unknowns…

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve seen a few ferals recover from sedation after TNR, but I never saw them fumble around.
Could be that, like people, different cats react to anesthesia differently. And if she was also given a pain killer, that may have contributed to the unusual recovery since they can also have a sedative effect. Poor kitty... hope she recovers from the ordeal. And that you recover from the expense - ouch!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for having taken care of this cat for the amount of time that you have. I am sorry that this happened to both of you.

This has only been a few hours, so I would wait to see how this evolves. She may be having trouble with the anesthesia, meaning just getting back to normal, and she is injured, so may be sore. The combination of the two might be enough to result in what you are seeing.

I have been in these situations with injured ferals and they are always complicated, painful, and expensive. I have also seen them bounce back from injuries, so keep her comfortable and continue to monitor. Let us know what happens.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Please don’t rush her. The shock factor is huge! Besides any injury she has been through so much. I have a friend with a social/tame kitty that had an injury to the same areas and it took time for her to recover. I can tell you that we often misjudge the understanding that ferals have of humans. Given time to observe that you are not a predator as well, she can come to some point where she can deal with being in a cage and garage long enough to heal. Cats are really smart and although she may be very wary, she also may be ready to just take the time to recover. She could have injured or pinched muscles or tendons that will require time but are not the kind of injury that would end her life. Given time you may be very surprised by her. All of my indoor kitties were ferals. All needed some form of vet care and all are now social. Not all become lap cats but this cat has already been attacked once. Besides needing physical healing, she will be frightened of being put back outside. At least at first. Please give her time to heal, recover from shock and get over being scared of outside before making any permanent decisions. Bravo to you for saving her! Oh my! I am so very grateful to you for going out and getting her! I love dogs but ... ! I hope the human that is in charge of the dog will be far more cautious in the future. The dog probably just chased her out of being a dog and not necessarily because she was sick. She looked like a nice toy. Shame on the human for unleashing the doggie. I hope she recovers quickly and never meets another unleashed doggie.
Please do keep us updated. Again, thank you for saving her! :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses and encouragement. :) It helps to have someone to talk to about this.

My biggest worry right now is that I haven’t seen her eat or drink anything. I left wet/dry food and water. I also left tuna tonight and I’ll see if she touched it in the morning before I go to work. Other than shifting position a bit I don’t know if she has been moving around.

I haven’t seen her use the litter box or urinate either. When I first caught her a couple years ago for TNR I remember she wouldn’t eat anything after the spay. Other cats I had TNR’d would eat food I gave overnight but she is probably very stressed while being confined.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is still not eating or drinking and is now sitting in the litterbox. :( She was laying on her side before since we got her, but now she is sitting with her legs tucked under like a normal cat. I’m assuming her legs aren’t paralyzed and she can walk if she can do that.

I can’t really get in the crate to do anything now because she’s sitting in front by the door, unless I shush her to the back which will scare her. Since she won’t eat, I’m debating letting her go… It was raining the past 2 days since I got her, but it’s supposed to stop today.

She will get weaker as the days ago on without eating. Is it better to let her heal without eating in the crate, or just let her go where she will probably eat the food left outside in the regular spot when she feels safe?

I don’t get home until late tonight so there’s time to think about it. Or I can let her go tomorrow after work when I’m off for 2 days. I really don’t know what to do and my husband doesn’t know what to say about it either.

She still has a bowl of dry food and water in there, but she’s choosing not to touch it. If she would eat I would definitely refill it and let her heal. Just so unsure what to do now.

If anyone has any better suggestions please let know…

Last edited:

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a tough call; I expect you're aware of the risk of hepatic lipidosis.

Have you tried giving her something raw? Might be more appealing if that's what she's used to.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a tough call; I expect you're aware of the risk of hepatic lipidosis.

Have you tried giving her something raw? Might be more appealing if that's what she's used to.
She eats dry outside with the others. I’ve tried can food for the others and she never touches it. She won’t eat the tuna. I think she’s just stressed confined.

Yes I know about the hepatic lipidosis but can’t force her to eat. Dunno if she can walk outside.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that this is probably a dumb question - but: did you keep her cage covered? Cats are like little mountain lions or tigers in that the instinctively live in caves. Sitting in her litter box is very common, especially with shelter cats - it's because scent is so important to cats, the litterbox becomes "homebase".
As for the dog hesitating its attack, dogs often assess their prey. It's how one of the ferals in my yard was able to save my 90yo mom from a pit bull and a border collie/lab who were attacking my mom's PomeranianX in our fenced front yard. Instinctively, my mom was trying to use her broom to rescue her dog when the female pit bull came at my mom and my mom fell. A little gray, normally very docile persianX named Bunny came on the run, launched a ninja-style face attack on the pit then bounced off and lept into our old apple tree. The pit was turned for a moment then to the tree but couldn't climb. The 2nd dog turned tail and ran to the gate where by then the owners had come running with leashes in hand.
I have seen confirmed cat-aggressive dogs turn tail when the target cat responds with "the best defense is a good offense". Sadly, your feral did the usual freeze & look for a way out. That dog who attacked her is a poorly trained, small animal killer who feared no repercussions for its misdeeds.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that this is probably a dumb question - but: did you keep her cage covered? Cats are like little mountain lions or tigers in that the instinctively live in caves. Sitting in her litter box is very common, especially with shelter cats - it's because scent is so important to cats, the litterbox becomes "homebase".
Yes the cage is covered with some long blankets to keep warm and give her peace. The owner of the dog had excuses about the kids wanting to play with the dog, and the kid let the leash go. He hit his dog during the attack on the camera. My husband heard the guy tell his kid “don’t say nothin, they’ll terminate my dog”. It didn’t help that a bunch of neighbors and like 10 kids were gawking standing around afterward, while she was terrified. The kids came running to “see a dead cat” I heard one say. Just awful.

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
This thread is a collection of hints from members about helping a reluctant cat to eat.

I know that you are in a very difficult position with her, but I would not release her yet. Can you handle her at all? I mean wearing a jacket, heavy gloves, etc?
She is still hissing/spitting if we bother her and she does that stomping thing kind of like skunks. We really can’t handle her. She will run or injure herself trying to get away. I was too scared to even try to grab her when she was on the ground. My husband was the one who did it with a blanket covering her, but I know he wouldn’t want to try handling her again.

Will she be okay even if she didn’t eat for many days? At how many days after not eating should I give up? I really don’t want to see her starve herself in my garage and die. :(

I will try reading the thread for tips to get her to eat. But she is a tough one. I’m hoping for a miracle soon.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The usual estimate for liver disease to set in is about 5 days. It is more pronounced if the cat was overweight before, oddly enough. However, it is hard to tell exactly. I rescued a feral in January after someone had locked her in a storage unit for 5 days in an attempt to get rid of her. I rushed her to the vet, fearing the worst, and not a darn thing appeared on any blood work and she has been healthy since.

The update on the story of her injury is certainly upsetting. If you release her, will she stay around your property?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless this dog had a bite history with humans, I doubt they'll "terminate" it, but the owner sounds like a complete moron and the dog will probably launch an attack on someone else who won't be so forgiving, and then there will be hell to pay. I absolutely detest owners like him. Based on his comments, I would assume this dog has attacked before. I personally would report this incident to animal control, along with the video and show them your vet bills thus far so they'll know who this dog is and who he belongs to. Crappy dog owners need to be held accountable for being so stupid when it comes to dogs like this.

Anyway, I had a cat that was really sick, and even with appetite stimulants and tempting favorite foods, he flat out refused to eat. I was scared I would have to make a difficult decision, and he held out for just over a week. Then he began eating again. He lived well into his teen years and never had liver problems.
I would wait her out a little bit longer. We board cats where I work, and sometimes they don't eat for a day or two. Most of them prefer to come out at night and eat and use their box. We pretty much provide them a safe, quiet hiding spot (which it sounds like the crate you're using is nice and secure and den-like), and leave them alone. If the cat is friendly, after 24 hours or so they'll come around and sometimes just gentle petting will encourage them to eat, but this doesn't sound like an option with your girl!
Another thing we've noticed...cats that board that get a combination of wet and dry food sometimes switch their preferences abruptly while in a new environment. People who swear their cats barely touch wet food at home scarf it down here, and leave the dry. And owners who say their cats are wet food addicts and snub dry food at home, will wolf down 1/2 cup of dry in one sitting and we'll end up tossing out the cats entire wet food meal, several meals in a row. I can't explain it at all. But it's something I've observed many cats doing in a strange new environment they're trying to figure out, so even though she never touches wet food while outside, you might give it a shot and see if it's something she'll go for while in confinement.
I'm so happy you're caring for her. :hugs:

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your helpful insight. I thought it was 2 days = liver problems but it’s reassuring to know she might have more time. I will keep waiting and try a larger variety of foods.

If you release her, will she stay around your property?
We live in a suburban area so we don’t have a big lot. But she usually hangs around in front of the house by the bushes and the wall, which is where she was attacked. People from the community often walk their dogs on long leashes, and as the dogs go in the bushes the owner follows them getting closer to the cats. :( We see these things on the camera.

Unless this dog had a bite history with humans, I doubt they'll "terminate" it, but the owner sounds like a complete moron and the dog will probably launch an attack on someone else who won't be so forgiving, and then there will be hell to pay. I absolutely detest owners like him. Based on his comments, I would assume this dog has attacked before. I personally would report this incident to animal control, along with the video and show them your vet bills thus far so they'll know who this dog is and who he belongs to. Crappy dog owners need to be held accountable for being so stupid when it comes to dogs like this.
I would like to report him and that is a good idea. Unfortunately we have no idea who this guy was. Supposedly he was visiting someone in the community and he doesn’t live there. A neighbor made a post on the community facebook group about the incident but no one had other info or input.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you both for your helpful insight. I thought it was 2 days = liver problems but it’s reassuring to know she might have more time. I will keep waiting and try a larger variety of foods.

We live in a suburban area so we don’t have a big lot. But she usually hangs around in front of the house by the bushes and the wall, which is where she was attacked. People from the community often walk their dogs on long leashes, and as the dogs go in the bushes the owner follows them getting closer to the cats. :( We see these things on the camera.

I would like to report him and that is a good idea. Unfortunately we have no idea who this guy was. Supposedly he was visiting someone in the community and he doesn’t live there. A neighbor made a post on the community facebook group about the incident but no one had other info or input.
If she's still a little weak, she might retreat to those bushes to feel safe if she's turned loose, so keeping her in is probably your best option for now.
I hope that dog owner was just visiting, because he sounds like trouble. I'm glad your neighbor made a post about it, even if no one else has info at least there's awareness in the neighborhood. I've titled my dogs to championships in obedience, agility, etc., and never once did it cross my mind to turn them off leash in a strange place despite their training. I hope you wake up to empty food bowls and a happy little cat tomorrow. :)

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone!!!

I’m so happy to report that she ate a good portion of dry food while I was gone all day at work! :) I think she ate a bit of the tuna also.

She is still sitting in the litter box but it’s just a miracle that she ate something. This definitely made my day :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful update! I believe that it takes about 3 days for a cat to figure out the sounds, scents and sights of the routine of the household. Kitty is blessed that you rescued her. The attack plus a trip to the vet & the "sedation" procedure was a lot to experience and to process. You are doing an excellent job with this cat! :rock::cheerleader::clapcat:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is great news! Please keep us posted. There are people around here who think that it is "fun" to let their dog, even one on a leash, make a big lunge for a cat in a bush or under shrubbery.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty has been doing well recovering in her crate. She’s eating, drinking and using the box okay.

That last time she hadn’t eaten, I posted to a facebook group asking if any rescue was willing to help an injured feral. A nice woman who owns a rescue offered to have the kitty inspected at her vet for x-ray and anything else needed. It was expensive, especially with more sedation needed, and I’m so grateful someone else was willing to help.

The vet said x-rays look okay, probably just soft tissue damage, which might heal in 2 weeks. He gave another pain injection, pain meds to go home, and vaccines. Kitty has a URI with weepy eyes but we can’t physically give her drops. He said he would like to check her in 2 weeks, but I’m not sure if the rescue will want to do that again.

Miraculously she ate the pain pill even in her dry food dish. I am also sprinkling Viralys powder on the dry food, since she won’t eat wet. I’m hoping it helps with her URI

I’m just thankful she’s eating, and she can stay to recover as long as she needs. :)