Injured Cat

Keeley B

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I'm just looking for some advice as I'm really worried. I came home yesterday to find my cat hopping around on 3 legs, holding up her paw. She put some weight on it occasionally and wanted to go outside again, which I was hesitant to but I think she needed the loo (she prefers to do it outside rather than use the litter tray). She came in and out for the rest of the evening, so I presumed it may be a splinter or a loose claw and as she' was still holding it up, I decided I would take her to the vets on Monday.

She seemed ok this morning, went out for a bit and then came in. She was sleeping when I went out but since I've come back there has been a huge difference. She is hardly moving, she can barely open eyes and her back leg also seems to be causing her a lot of pain and it trembled when she lifts it. She growls when I touch her which is very unusual for her, she has a very sweet nature. She also shows zero interest in food, she only had a lick of some chicken cream I tried to give her.
My parents pay the bills so they understandably want to wait until Monday as it costs extra to go to the vets on weekends.
I am wondering if another cat has injured her when I let her out this morning because she does get into a lot of scraps with the neighbours cats. I generally hear them and just tell at her to come in and then that's it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, and welcome --even though the circumstances are rough.

This sounds to me like an infection has set in, and is truly urgent - when a cat stops eating, along with the growling when touched, that's a huge red flag of trouble.
Maybe something here will help. You-all need to get that cat to a vet as soon as possible. I'm so sorry this happened! Maybe you can keep her inside after this. We can help with transitioning to indoors only.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she isn't eating it is an emergency. It is entirely possible that she broke her leg yesterday and a blood infection is setting in. The sooner she sees a vet the better her chances for a good recovery. I realize it is the weekend but Monday is two days away and if she isn't eating that entire time she will only get weaker. You also run the risk of complications the longer she has the infection.

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I'm just looking for some advice as I'm really worried. I came home yesterday to find my cat hopping around on 3 legs, holding up her paw. She put some weight on it occasionally and wanted to go outside again, which I was hesitant to but I think she needed the loo (she prefers to do it outside rather than use the litter tray). She came in and out for the rest of the evening, so I presumed it may be a splinter or a loose claw and as she' was still holding it up, I decided I would take her to the vets on Monday.

She seemed ok this morning, went out for a bit and then came in. She was sleeping when I went out but since I've come back there has been a huge difference. She is hardly moving, she can barely open eyes and her back leg also seems to be causing her a lot of pain and it trembled when she lifts it. She growls when I touch her which is very unusual for her, she has a very sweet nature. She also shows zero interest in food, she only had a lick of some chicken cream I tried to give her.
My parents pay the bills so they understandably want to wait until Monday as it costs extra to go to the vets on weekends.
I am wondering if another cat has injured her when I let her out this morning because she does get into a lot of scraps with the neighbours cats. I generally hear them and just tell at her to come in and then that's it.
It's generally a very bad sign when a cat suddenly stops eating. Either it could be from physical trauma or psychological, both are very serious and need to be given attention asap. It sounds like your cat got into a bit of a ruffle so it's very possible an infection has set in and he needs to be taken to the vet quickly.

I hope you can update us and tell us when you're going to take her to the vet. For now, you need to inspect her very thoroughly to find any signs of scratches, abrasions, lacerations, etc. When she's calm make sure she's sitting down and all over her body gently push her fur aside to get a clear view of her skin, do this all over the body. If she shows any discomfort or makes any noises, you've probably found an area with some damage that you need to clean up by flushing with water or saline, then gently rub around the area with an antiseptic wipe, (do not use isopropyl rubbing alchohol.) The only antiseptics safe to use on cats are products containing either chlorhexidine diacetate or iodine as well as salt water (saline.) If you're going to use iodine then dilute to the color of weak tea. Then you can apply a thin layer of antibiotic ointment like neosporin on small cuts and scratches. If you find a deep wound you she needs to be seen by a vet immediately as leaving it untreated will cause dangerous, and very costly complications. Keep repeating this until all the wounds are cleaned up.

Here's a good article by PetMD detailing this:
Cat Wound Treatment (Overview) - Wound Treatment for Cats | petMD

As for eating, if there is no possible way you can get her to the vet within 48 hours you need to be making sure that she's drinking and eating enough. Hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver disease, is a very common condition in cats who have experienced trauma and can lead to liver damage, liver failure, and eventual death if untreated. No matter what health a cat is in, if they don't eat anything within 2 days then their liver will start to fail and they will enter hepatic lipidosis.

Good luck!! :vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In our area at least, snake bite, spider bite, scorpion bite, that kind of thing, is always a worry with our pets that get outdoors during the warm months. I would advise a vet visit as soon as possible.