Injured Cat (warning pic of injury)

fyreflair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, so just recently a stray followed me home. I took him in and noticed that there was a large scab on his testicles looked to be from a fight. It wasnt swollen nor did it have any pus or signs of infection so I left it be. Now though the scab somehow got tore off. Hes not acting like hes in any pain however he even has let me clean it. Ive never dealt with a cat getting an injury to his testicles so Im not sure if I should call and get him INTO the vet or if itll finish healing on its own or if he needs antibiotics or what. Being that its going into Sunday my vet is closed. Otherwise Id just call and ask them. Just need some advice on this.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I would say that he does need a vet. Of course that is a sensitive area but the redness is what worries me most. I would be worried that there is infection going on. Cats always try to hide pain so that’s not a good indicator to go by. If the injury was from a cat bite, the risk of infection goes up higher. I know many vets are closed on Sunday but many do have answering service that they check. You may also be able to text or email and even send the photo. I would definitely want a vet opinion on this. Ouch! Please do let us know how he is doing and thank you for helping this kitty by taking him in! Poor fellow. Maybe he could get neutered so no more injuries like this one. He’s very lucky you found him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fyreflair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do plan on getting him neutered once hes healed up. And i do remember bout cats usually hiding their pain but Ive never had one who willingly let me mess with the affected area. Thats really what leads me to believe he's not in pain from it yet. I could probably call the emergency clinic but i wouldn't be able to get him there. Nearest one is about 50mi away. I didn't think of just calling. (Like what purraise mentioned.)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A call could lead to them letting you send the photo so they can , at least, advise. They might even be willing to call in meds or perhaps relieve your mind that keeping it clean until Monday will get him through. The thing about hurt cats is that , sometimes, they are most submissive when they recognize they need the help. I’m glad he let you clean it. I hope it looks better today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fyreflair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the wait but UPDATE i called the vet and when I described the issue they asked me a few questions - Was there any pus? Are you able to keep it clean? Was there any pus before the scab came off? I told him no pus before or after the scab came off and yes I can keep it clean. They told me that from how I explained it he didnt need to come in that the redness was just the raw skin being exposed since the scab pulled off before it was ready. And as long as I could keep it clean and knew what to watch for regarding infections he shouldnt need antibiotics but I should keep watch just in case something does happen.

And on an even better note the skin on it is growing back properly. Now all i have to worry about is keeping him away from one of my other cats. Hes neutered but when I recently lost one of my other cats he became extremely aggressive towards other cats. The vet said he was just grieving though and itll take time for him to calm down.