Injectable anesthesia causing cardiac arrest in a (seemingly) healthy cat.

User5566

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm starting this thread to let people know (if not already aware) about the dangers of injectable anesthesia in cats.

I'd like to ask if anyone knows of any study comparing injectable anesthesia with gas. Although I'm not very hopeful it exists. There seems to be a huge mess in this whole subject. How come? Even searching for articles about mortality rate of injectable anesthesia in healthy cats one gets results from various studies ranging from 0.01% up to almost 1% ( depending on how we describe healthy I suspect it may be as high as 4.5% - this is my interpretation).

Could I have avoided this whole problem by going to a different vet that uses gas anaesthetic? I not sure, but I might have.

Below is how a visit to a vet has hurt my cat Razes far worse than what we went to the vet with in the first place.

First let me say I don't want to discourage anyone from going to a vet. If you have to go you have to go. I didn't have much choice yesterday, it was an emergency, but I should've found a vet that actually uses the best equipment he has for more than marketing photos for his website.

Yesterday, my healthy, approx. 6 years old, extremely full of energy cat Ramzes, got chased up to a tree by a dog being walked by an owner with no leash. This is the kind of a tree that has dried, sharp, short sticks sticking out of its trunk and Ramzes ripped the skin on his stomach open as he was climbing up. There wasn't much blood, but the wound was very large (4in or 10cm) across his abdomen, thankfully there was no penetration into the abdomen and muscles didn't seem damaged (yes, they were visible).

This was Sunday evening, we took him to the closest city with a 24h vet clinic attached to a local university. All the way there he was miaowing to let him out of his transporter and he was clawing at it as usual in the car. He is very pain sensitive, but he didn't signal pain at the time.

We got to the clinic and they could look at him straight away. The vet looked at the wound and said he should be fine, there is no penetration to the abdomen and asked me to sign an injectable anaesthesia release form.

I had a cat react very badly to opiate based injectable anesthesia before(morphine) and that clinic had the equipment for gas anesthesia so I wanted them to use that. Sadly, they have the equipment, but they are not trained to use it, so they can't use it.

I told them my concerns with my previous cat having severe reaction to morphine before, to which I was assured "no one uses morphine, it is an old fashioned method, this is completely different, not opiate based and much safer" so I agreed. He is 5.9kg and he got torbugesic with dexdomitor to sedate him mixed with convenia(antibiotic) - in an about 1.2ml injection (I can only guess the actual amounts, because the vet report says 10ml,which is 10x too much, I saw him being given half of a 2.2ml syringe, so definitely not 10ml of anything)

Then 10 min later he got 10mg of ketamine IV and he was out in a couple of minutes.

They took him to be operated (owners are not allowed in) and some 25min later the doc comes out and says, he is alive, but his heart stopped and we had to resuscitate him. So I asked some questions, what is the exact drug used, how was he resuscitated, how long was he in cardiac arrest etc(with adrenaline - they resuscitated him immediately). I was told the details and that he got "half of a dose" so it shouldn't happen . That a healthy cat shouldn't react like this and he most likely has HMC and that "it's very common" (so which is it, if HMC is so common how can this anaesthesia method be safe?!) Then they did USG and they said he has "slightly enlarged heart wall" and this is the most likely cause. Here, let me say he never had any symptoms of being easily tired and he always had 10x the energy of my other cat Seth. All other organs were fine other than "shock bowel - small intestine". This they told me was a result of the cardiac arrest and it should resolve itself in few hours.

They wanted to keep him overnight, but upon asking what exactly would they do if his heart stopped again and learning he should be fully awake in 2h(they gave him antised - no idea about the dose, at the end of the surgery) I decided to take him home after about 2H. (when they said "yep, he is waking up as predicted" after he opened his eyes and was looking around).

I was told to keep him warm, leave his postoperative cloth on for 10 days, wash the wound daily. I was given an oral painkiller to give him in 24h and 48h, and to have my vet remove sutures in 10 days.

The trip home took almost 2h and he was out the entire time. Then he was mostly out the entire night (just waking up for few minutes, walking a little with no purpose and lying down to sleep). Now it has been 20 hours since he got the anaesthesia and he is still not fully awake. He gets up, walks a bit, when he walks he looks almost normal, then he stops, lies down and when he is down he looks really bad - pupils dilated, eyes half open, just lying there, then he wakes up walks for a bit and so on. He is improving, but 10x slower than he should based on the doses of these drugs he got. If he isn't back to normal at least drinking water by himself by tomorrow morning I'll have to take him to our local vet. Another stressful trip for him, probably IV liquids and more unknowns. He hasn't ate anything yet, and had only a pee. (I was hoping there would be a sign of normal bowel function by now).

So this is how I went to a vet to have a superficial (but large) skin wound sutured and I came back with a cat on the verge of death (again, but that's a different story).

As I'm finishing writing this he is running around and looks fine. I hope he stays like that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for sharing this. What makes these situations so difficult is that usually in emergency cases, some testing that could be done under less dire circumstances is not done - such as checking Ramzes for heart issues in advance, just in case. The other thing is no one knows when a cat (or a human, for that matter) might have a reaction to a given type med. Sadly, it is often found out 'after the fact'. (My husband has had multiple types of antibiotics over the years, and yet he was recently given one he hadn't had before, and boom - he had a reaction.)

I am so glad to hear Ramzes is now doing a bit better. Even so, you probably should consult with your vet about checking his heart to see if anything shows up, There are a number of heart conditions that don't have outward signs, especially in their earlier stages and/or in younger cats. I would also confirm what the dose of anesthesia was - I know you said you saw the amount, but if it were me, I would still want to validate/confirm it. Lastly, the type of anesthesia that he had a reaction to should be noted on his records in order to avoid its use in the future if ever one is needed.

I hope Ramzes continues to improve and that you will let us know with updates.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not sure why they have the anisthetic inhailant if nobody is trained how to use it. Most courses include basic instructions on how these machienes work and are used i would imagine.

Cats in particular can be sensitive to injectables in genneral due to their delicate kidneys. Many of them are metabolized in the kidneys or liver.

I wouldn't say hcm is uncommon in cats but for a 6y cat it would be unusual as its an old cat disease most commonly seconday hcm comes from hyperthyroidism. Unless it was congenital but breeds predisposed to it are usualy screened for it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DexDomitor is contraindicated in cats with heart disease. So is ketamine. Anyone using these drugs should have oxygen available. Any cat that undergoes surgery should have an endotracheal tube placed and be on oxygen and gas anesthesia if needed.

In order to use the gas anesthesia, an injectable anesthetic agent, such as propofol is needed to be able to intubate ( place the tube) the cat.

Gas anesthesia is not without risks. It is the most hypotensive ( lowers the blood pressure) anesthetic there is. That is why fluid therapy during surgical procedures is needed.

There is an old school way of only using gas anesthesia that is very dangerous to cats. The term for it is “ gassing down” masking down “ or “boxing down”. Don’t ever allow anyone to do this to your cat.

I am glad your cat is doing better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

User5566

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the informative and supportive replies.

I wasn't aware the old school gas method. Thank you for mentioning it. The vet did have oxygen, and Ramzes got 15 minutes of it. I don't know how it was delivered at the time.

Ramzes is much better now. He ate yesterday night, but he had to be encouraged to drink some water. Also no evidence of bowels working as expected yet(perhaps he is holding it as he has to use the box instead of going outside)

Coming back to the causes of this I seriously start considering he might have been overdosed on something. What I have in writing partially doesn't correspond dose-wise to what I saw and to what the vet said. Also It took Ramzas over 24 hours to properly wake up. Although possible he has some hypersensitivity to these drugs.

I think I'll write them an email asking about the amounts of drugs mentioned in the report. Some of them are comically wrong. For example we were given 2x 1ml of Meloxoral to give him 1ml in 24h and the other in 48h. The report says 125ml. It did cross my mind that this is not what he got, but what I'm paying for(as in they opened a bottle and had to dispose of it), or the volume is a part of the drug name like but then ketamine is specified correctly in the report. So I'd like to have in writing (to put in his record booklet) how much exactly he was given of each drug.

I saw the volume of the first injection(half of a 2.2ml syringe), but I didn't see the preparation of it. Also the liquid was yellow while I read both drugs (dexdomidor and torbugesic are colorless) so I assumed they dissolved Convenia powder in it as the leaflets says it is yellowish. This is my other problem with that vet. They didn't like questions, it was very hard to get specific answers and immediately after the vet got out if the operating room she said "but he was given half of a dose anyway" without me even asking for it. (which would be 0.6ml of torbugesic and 0.4ml of dexdomidorbased on the leaflet, this roughly matches half of a 2.2ml syringe I saw).

For now I'm letting him recover at home.

He is neutered BTW, but his procedure was done through a tiny incision. I have to look up in his vet booklet if it is specified what kind of anaesthetic he got back then. He was a little groggy, but was fully awake in a couple of hours. However he was 1 year old at a time

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not unusual for a cat to act sedated for the first couple of days, not eating/drinking is normal. Especially if he had a reaction to it. I don't like how they gave you the wrong amounts, that is not professional. Your cat was most likely more awake after his neutering because they always hold them for a while before releasing them. Since you know about the reaction now, make sure any vet in the future knows about it and charts it. He came through and you still have him which is a blessing. His heart may have been extremely stressed fron the dog and his injuries too which may have contributed to the situation. Love him and be thankful he pulled through. You might research some other emergency vets to bring him to.....

User5566

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has started eating and drinking normal amounts by now.

Here he is in his post-operation cloth he is supposed to wear until the sutures are taken out (with short breaks for washing and drying).
Compress_20240221_074603_3331.jpg
His lower stomach looks big because of his fur there. The wound starts about an inch maybe two behind his front legs.

Regarding other emergency vets. I did my research after we came home. On Sundays and holidays until about 7pm there is quite a bit of choice, but in a middle of a night this one is the only one within reasonable driving distance. Not ideal if another emergency happens, but I guess a non-ideal vet is better than no vet in an emergency.

User5566

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His stitches have been removed today and the wound is healing well.

Unfortunately it has been confirmed he has a heart condition. My vet explained it as: heart valve not closing fully, lowering the heart output (slightly oversized heart wall is a compensatory mechanism). He hasn't got any visible symptoms, it might get worse or it may stay asymptomatic for a very long time. At least I know about it now.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Im not sure why they have the anisthetic inhailant if nobody is trained how to use it. Most courses include basic instructions on how these machienes work and are used i would imagine.
Lots of reasons. It could mean no one on this SHIFT is trained.

Perhaps it's a new-to-them technology and they ssre still working on training staff up.

The reality is most vet places are short staffed or using many newer graduates right now. There's been a LOT of burn out in the field since COVID.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Unfortunately it has been confirmed he has a heart condition. My vet explained it as: heart valve not closing fully, lowering the heart output (slightly oversized heart wall is a compensatory mechanism). He hasn't got any visible symptoms, it might get worse or it may stay asymptomatic for a very long time. At least I know about it now.
I'm so glad to know he's doing well.

Hopefully the other staff at the "Not ideal" clinic get trained up on the other anesthesia.

Unfortunately most cats don't show any signs of heart disease until it is advanced. It's believed that about 30% of cats have some kind of heart condition at some point in life. (Some congenital conditions cats grow out of, so that's why it's worded this way.) Heart Disease in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good that his wound is healing well. My mother had a leaky heart valve with no symptoms; she was never treated for it, and lived to 81 when she died from something totally unrelated to her heart. Most of the time leaky heart valves don't pose much of a problem.