Informal Poll - Does Your Cat Eat Rabbit?

Do your cats like rabbit?

• Yes -- crazy for it! Now asks for it by name.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes -- likes it though turns up nose on occasion.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Yes but didn't at first.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No, refuses it every time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twylasage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help me decide if I should put rabbit on the menu for my E & T. I'd like to provide them with a little more variety beyond poultry. Rabbit is my only other practical choice but I hesitate ... does it really taste like chicken? Timothy is still transitioning and has made his contempt for that feathered feast quite clear. (Turkey he likes but I don't think it'll ever replace fish as his favorite.) So what has been your experience with feeding your cat a bowlful of bunny?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, mine just tried it (raw from Hare Today) as their first raw protein besides chicken.  Three of the four cats liked (or loved) it immediately.  The fourth wouldn't touch it, but we are going to work on getting him to accept it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats (well, I have a lot of cats. I didn't keep track of how many of them liked it. But it went fast and the plate looked crowded) like Hare Today ground rabbit. I haven't tried rabbit from any other source. And the indoor/outdoor cats my family had when I was a teenager were always catching and eating small rabbits. That's my experience FWIW!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I voted "Yes, crazy for it" because all of my 8 like it. It's one of the few foods they'll eat ground, so I give them both rabbit meat at one meal a week, and whole ground rabbit from Hare-Today once a week. :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
None of my 3 like it, and I have tried several different rabbit sources.  They didn't like Natures Menu, Natures Variety, not even Hare-Today.  I don't know what their problem is, because practically everyone else's cats supposedly really like rabbit.  And I have tried it several different times, tried blending it in with their favorite dishes...no go.  Total refusal.

Needless to say, I have given away lots of it

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats do love rabbit!! Especially HT rabbit. Pipsqueak goes nuts for Fegnion Rabbit... :thud: BUT unfortunately, I just cannot afford to order more. Carolina sent me some when she went FP all the way. She sent me a raw ground package. Pipsqueak loved the Fegnion rabbit so very much. I just have not ordered more. OMG the shipping is absolutely, positively outrageous. :sigh:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked yes, Love it, ask it by name - BUT: ONLY the ground variety - as far as chunks, only Bugsy likes it...... Hope is not convinced, and Lucky I am not trying.... I am giving it away to another member here....

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rabbit is a hit around here with my cat and I've gotten it from two different suppliers. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twylasage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU EVERYONE for your replies!! Since the majority of responders report success with feeding rabbit to their kitties, I've gone ahead and placed an order with Hare Today. I should be able to give them a taste of it early next week. Fingers crossed, they will fall into the greater group of cats and love it. I will follow up and let you all know. Thanks so very much again for sharing your experiences and helping me decide.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are some of the few who don't care for rabbit, even Finn who eats anything you put infront of her. she'll eat it but very begrudgingly

Emry prefers Squirrel, and Finn and Paint both like venison

frappe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another "Yes-they are crazy about it" vote. Both my cat and the dog inhale it. Definitely a favorite around here. I would definitely say give it a shot!