Infographic On Shocking Cat Obesity Stastistics

kmsmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, saw this infographic today and found some of the statistics really surprising!! Wasn't so surprised by the human food as treats statistic since I know that's commonplace amongst my friends.

The 43% of owners not reading labels on food was especially shocking, how do they even know how much to feed if they don't know what's in it!!

I never thought the problem was this bad, are these surprising for anyone else?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any creature that spends their entire life eating junk food as their main meal will likely be obese. It’s sad, but I think most people who own cats see them as cute play things or companions rather than as living beings with nutritional needs. The cats are there mainly for the owner’s enjoyment unfortunately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmsmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any creature that spends their entire life eating junk food as their main meal will likely be obese. It’s sad, but I think most people who own cats see them as cute play things or companions rather than as living beings with nutritional needs. The cats are there mainly for the owner’s enjoyment unfortunately.
I agree with you, it is really sad to see people not care for them correctly. Maybe it's a culture that comes from people assuming they'd eat anything in the wild so don't see a problem with free feeding or treating them with fatty foods at home.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you, it is really sad to see people not care for them correctly. Maybe it's a culture that comes from people assuming they'd eat anything in the wild so don't see a problem with free feeding or treating them with fatty foods at home.
I think people also just like convenience. Or they prioritize their own convenience over the health of their pets. Dry food is convenient and cheap and we have been feeding it for ages so why not? When I even try to have a conversation about feline nutrition with my friends who feed their cats dry food they get insanely defensive. They either don’t want to give up their convenience or don’t want to admit that they may have been feeding their cats unhealthy food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's bad and getting worse, you're absolutely right. Hopefully these folks eventually sooner than later! listen to the media, their vets and sites like this. Thankfully the organization that publishes world records stopped having a competition for biggest cat based on weight but there are still too many videos and uninformed people that don't realize the damage they're doing to an overweight cat. (Somewhat like folks who don't know that a dog who scootches it's bottom across the floor isn't funny, it's a health issue of worms). Drives me crazy.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think another problem is that the feeding guides on cat food sometimes tell to feed far too much. For example, the amount that the vet told me to feed Charlie in order to maintain his weight is about half of what the feeding guide recommends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmsmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think another problem is that the feeding guides on cat food sometimes tell to feed far too much. For example, the amount that the vet told me to feed Charlie in order to maintain his weight is about half of what the feeding guide recommends.
Manufacturers wanting you to use it up quicker and buy more I guess! You'd think they'd have to abide by some regulations and have those figures backed up with evidence.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure another glaring problem is that more and more cats are becoming strictly indoor, which is great for their safety, but unless owners keep a strict schedule of play it's easy for them to become lazy and inactive.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
upload_2018-1-14_15-35-46.png
If meat is not a "suitable" treat for an obligate carnivore than what is? Some apple slices? A nice salad? :rolleyes2:

upload_2018-1-14_15-42-10.png
What do they consider a "single piece?" A Kraft single or the equivalent of something else or the thin slice of cheddar that I cut off a block of Cabot sharp white cheddar that Lilith enjoys a few times a year? How about the meat? Is it a small piece of steak that I cut into bits and share with them when I am eating it or is a filet mignon?

My cats are both petite and at a normal weight for their size. I give them unseasoned baked, broiled and grilled meat as toppers to their foods or as an occasional snack. This is far healthier for them than things like Temptations, etc.

Cat food is made out of meat. The same meat people eat. My cats also eat Pure Bites treats which are made solely of meat. They are widely considered to be one of the healthiest cat treats out there.

That may be a "lovely website" but I'm not buying a lot of what they are selling. They can't even spell veterinary. :rolleyes3:

upload_2018-1-14_15-35-5.png

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 214212 If meat is not a "suitable" treat for an obligate carnivore than what is? Some apple slices? A nice salad? :rolleyes2:

View attachment 214215 What do they consider a "single piece?" A Kraft single or the equivalent of something else or the thin slice of cheddar that I cut off a block of Cabot sharp white cheddar that Lilith enjoys a few times a year? How about the meat? Is it a small piece of steak that I cut into bits and share with them when I am eating it or is a filet mignon?

My cats are both petite and at a normal weight for their size. I give them unseasoned baked, broiled and grilled meat as toppers to their foods or as an occasional snack. This is far healthier for them than things like Temptations, etc.

Cat food is made out of meat. The same meat people eat. My cats also eat Pure Bites treats which are made solely of meat. They are widely considered to be one of the healthiest cat treats out there.

That may be a "lovely website" but I'm not buying a lot of what they are selling. They can't even spell veterinary. :rolleyes3:

View attachment 214211
Definitely the bit about feeding human food is misleading. How about just don't feed your cat inappropriate food? If pet food was good enough for humans to consume then it would likely be much healthier!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of the adds, articles and different information out there on cat food, and how to feed a cat can get very confusing and overwhelming for many of us. I read, and read, and read, wanted to pull my hair out at times. I do like to feed mostly wet food, but a lot of the wet food out there now has as many carbs as dry food, thanks to all the fruits and veggie they put in it. It is getting almost as hard to find a low carb, medium fat, high protein wet food as it is dry. And there are a few good dry foods, at least as far as carbs and all go. I have found what works for me is 2 wet meals per day, and i keep Dr. Elsey's dry food down at all times, i occasionally switch this out with Farmina. I have one female cat that refuses wet food for the most part. This routine seems to have resulted in healthy weights and happy cats. we do very few treats, but when we do it is freeze dried chicken breast, or Bonita flakes occasional.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of the adds, articles and different information out there on cat food, and how to feed a cat can get very confusing and overwhelming for many of us. I read, and read, and read, wanted to pull my hair out at times. I do like to feed mostly wet food, but a lot of the wet food out there now has as many carbs as dry food, thanks to all the fruits and veggie they put in it. It is getting almost as hard to find a low carb, medium fat, high protein wet food as it is dry. And there are a few good dry foods, at least as far as carbs and all go. I have found what works for me is 2 wet meals per day, and i keep Dr. Elsey's dry food down at all times, i occasionally switch this out with Farmina. I have one female cat that refuses wet food for the most part. This routine seems to have resulted in healthy weights and happy cats. we do very few treats, but when we do it is freeze dried chicken breast, or Bonita flakes occasional.
Sounds like you are being a responsible cat parent who is trying to self-educate and do the best for their cat. I know the information can be overwhelming, but I think most cat guardians just don't even bother. The fact that you even try makes you stand out from the rest IMO.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The key (as you mentioned) is finding what what works for you and your cats. Just because a food is "premium" or "healthy" doesn't mean the cat will eat it. Cats can't read labels. My cats are VERY picky eaters and I found out the hard way that when more cans of high end premium foods than I'd like to think about about went down the garbage disposal after they refused to eat them. After trial and error, I found foods that they will eat. They eat mostly canned with some dry here and there as a topper or occasional snack. The wet foods they eat run from Friskies and Fancy Feast to Soulistic, Wellness, Pride by Instinct and others that are higher end. The dry that they like is Petcurean GO! Fit & Free. The amount they get is determined by what they finish and leave behind. My cats do not gorge themselves. They eat until they have had enough and then leave the rest if they don't want it. Sometimes they clean their plates and sometimes they don't.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you are being a responsible cat parent who is trying to self-educate and do the best for their cat. I know the information can be overwhelming, but I think most cat guardians just don't even bother. The fact that you even try makes you stand out from the rest IMO.
:yeah:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I posted something similar recently: Article On Pet Obesity

I do like to feed mostly wet food, but a lot of the wet food out there now has as many carbs as dry food, thanks to all the fruits and veggie they put in it. It is getting almost as hard to find a low carb, medium fat, high protein wet food as it is dryl.
Have you seen this chart? http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf There are many low carb (10% or less) canned foods listed. It may be easier to sort the foods using this version of the chart: Cat Food Chart from catinfo.org

The occasional "medium" or "high" carb canned food as a meal or treat or just as a topper is ok, IMO.

There are brands with no veggies but they tend to be expensive at $2+ a can such as Rawz.

There is no "perfect" commerically available food :sigh: The only way to avoid all veggies and fruits and fillers is to make your own food, either raw or home cooked.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted something similar recently: Article On Pet Obesity

Have you seen this chart? http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf There are many low carb (10% or less) canned foods listed. It may be easier to sort the foods using this version of the chart: Cat Food Chart from catinfo.org

The occasional "medium" or "high" carb canned food as a meal or treat or just as a topper is ok, IMO.

There are brands with no veggies but they tend to be expensive at $2+ a can such as Rawz.

There is no "perfect" commerically available food :sigh: The only way to avoid all veggies and fruits and fillers is to make your own food, either raw or home cooked.
thank you for the link, yes i use that chart quite a bit. there are several foods from it that i feed, against the grain, weruva, tiki cat, some BFF and fancy feast classics to name a few. we are in a very small town, so its hard to find much locally, i do order online quite a bit. i do try to find a balance, low carb most of the time, with the occasional higher carb food, but sometimes cats are so picky, and i have some very picky cats...lol i have quit obsessing over each meal, and work more toward an overall balanced meal plan. :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The key (as you mentioned) is finding what what works for you and your cats. ... Cats can't read labels. ...
:headscratch: They can't? I really thought they could! ;)
My cat has spent nearly two years running me through hoops to find the right canned foods for her!

... My cats are VERY picky eaters and I found out the hard way that when more cans of high end premium foods than I'd like to think about about went down the garbage disposal after they refused to eat them. After trial and error, I found foods that they will eat. They eat mostly canned with some dry here and there as a topper or occasional snack. ... The amount they get is determined by what they finish and leave behind. My cats do not gorge themselves. They eat until they have had enough and then leave the rest if they don't want it. Sometimes they clean their plates and sometimes they don't.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree about home cooked & raw being the only way to know exactly what's going in your cat's dish but it's not for everyone. You really need to know what
:headscratch: They can't? I really thought they could! ;)
My cat has spent nearly two years running me through hoops to find the right canned foods for her!

Oh mine too. They often reject a food right after I buy a case of it. This is how that goes:

I fill the dishes :anticipation:

Lily comes prancing into the room, checks out both (identical) dishes, decides she does not want the food and leaves the room in a huff with her tail held straight up and puffed out. :angrycat:

I run after her calling out, "but Lily you like rabbit (or duck or lamb or chicken or turkey- whatever it is). Come try some for mommy." :crossfingers:
Lily glares at me with the "NO! YOU eat it" look on her face. :gaah:

Sophie watches all of this with great amusement. She also doesn't eat the food because it's more fun to side with her sister and help drive mommy insane :runaround:

The dog is perplexed by all this. She will eat anything and is ALWAYS hungry. I know she's thinking, "Heck. Put those dishes over here. I'll eat it" :yummy:

I get them something else :doh:
They giggle behind my back because they know that I know who really runs this household :dancingblackcat::dancingblackcat:

I "win" in the end though because I just shelve the "offending" food for a while and then re-introduce it- and they eat it. :yess: