Inflammatory Bowel Diet Suggestions

hfbeckett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello is there anyone who can help me? Recently my cat Kitty, a going to be 7 year old male cat, was diagnosed with IBD. He is on cerenia for inflammation and mirtazapine for appetite as needed.
Right now I think he is going through a flare-up? He usually poops like clockwork but lately its been 32-42 hours in between BM's. Yesterday when he went there was some straining but it was not a hard poop, it was soft but not too soft.

I was worried he was constipated so I had been adding 1/8tsp of miralax to his wet food, which is Authority's kitten pate chicken & liver because it has been the only thing he will eat. And on it he has not thrown up, and that has been a huge issue in the past before. I also for the past 2 weeks of so have been adding the honest kitchens daily boosters goat milk probiotic to his wet food with extra water on the recommendation of my vet to add a probiotic. She was pushing for fortflora but I've heard some iffy stuff about it.

I'm just worried now that these foods and or combination of them could be causing a flare up? He was just diagnosed so I'm not too sure what to try to feed him and I'm wary of changing anything because he is a picky eater and did stop eating awhile ago when I assume there was another flare up.

So what are you feeding your kitty's, what seems to be working and what isn't? Did your cats also go through weird not-pooping phases too with their IBD flare-ups?

Please anything would be helpful. I know my vet wants to get him on a limited ingredient diet but I just can't do the prescription diets she wants me to.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For IBD you have to feed carragean free wet food only. For my girl who had GI cancer she was fed Rawz, Hounds and Gatos, Tiki cat, and Koha. :) I find it was best to give a bunch of different brands/flavors a week as with her medication it made her nauseous. But most cats can get bored if fed the same thing, though you tend to have to transition slowly. I wanted to try raw with her but at 14 years old, yep no chance she was going to eat it. Was he diagnosed via biopsy?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These two web sites have good info:

Hello is there anyone who can help me? Recently my cat Kitty, a going to be 7 year old male cat, was diagnosed with IBD. He is on cerenia for inflammation and mirtazapine for appetite as needed.
Right now I think he is going through a flare-up? He usually poops like clockwork but lately its been 32-42 hours in between BM's. Yesterday when he went there was some straining but it was not a hard poop, it was soft but not too soft.
Prednisolone will help with the flare ups. Talk to your vet about it.

Cerenia is for nausea, not inflammation.

She was pushing for fortflora but I've heard some iffy stuff about it.
FortiFlora isn't the best probiotic out there. It's pretty much useful to get inappetent cats to eat because it contains yummy animal digest. You can use Human probiotics instead. See this for info:

Adding a Saccharomyces boulardii product can be helpful, too.

I'm just worried now that these foods and or combination of them could be causing a flare up? He was just diagnosed so I'm not too sure what to try to feed him and I'm wary of changing anything because he is a picky eater and did stop eating awhile ago when I assume there was another flare up.

So what are you feeding your kitty's, what seems to be working and what isn't? Did your cats also go through weird not-pooping phases too with their IBD flare-ups?

Food can definitely cause a flare up in IBD cats. Chicken is a common culprit. If the Authority kitten canned is the only thing your cat will eat at the moment, feed it an deal with the IBD symptoms while also trying to offer other foods. Novel proteins like rabbit usually help most IBD cats. Here are some limited ingredient type foods with novel proteins you can try:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Kohapet
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food
NutriSource Pet Foods

I personally feed my IBD cat a raw diet. He has always eaten raw so even a life long raw only diet doesn't always prevent IBD. I feed a commercial brand in rabbit. I rotate between a different brand of frozen raw and freeze dried raw in novel proteins for his evening snacks.

I don't feed treats often but when I do, I use freeze dried meat treats in a novel protein. Right now I have venison.

It helps to start a log and keep track of food and ingredients so you can figure out what is causing a flare up or the poop issues.