Inflammation of Abdominal Lining

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Monkeydo, who had exploratory surgery 14 months ago to correct a non-working gallbladder by draining fluids (6 cups) from his distended bile ducts, resizing the common bile duct and reattaching it to his duodenum, started to be less interested in food or water about a week ago. His back felt bony and he had lost a pound since his October 1 checkup. This past Saturday's ultrasound revealed small pockets of fluid on his abdominal lining or membrane. The internist let me watch as she probed. She aspirated white fatty matter from one of them. It was loaded with white blood cells / bacteria under her microscope. Her diagnosis is peritonitis but not FIP as we know it. She said it's more commonly seen with an injury or a perforation or leakage of the intestines, gallbladder, bile ducts, Etc. He's had no injuries. She did blood work but her assistant forgot to send it in so it's not back yet.
He's getting 300 mL of fluid a day, pain meds and strong antibiotics inserted into the fluids at home with me. He also gets transdermal Gabapentin and Mirataz for appetite and Cerenia if needed. His abdomen has doubled in size since Saturday. And now his weight is up 1 pound. I've gotten him to eat a little tuna and tuna juice, some kibble and treats over the past three days. Enough to sustain life. Does anyone have any experience with this type of inflammation? Vet said last night that if I am not opting for another surgery, which should be scheduled immediately, I should consider euthanization. Her suggested treatment is exploratory surgery to see what's going on and repair it if possible. I don't want to put him through that again. I know from the last time I won't get back the same cat. He has had 14 months of discomfort, hunching, nausea, vomiting, because the 2020 surgery was a patch, not a fix. But it did save his life. I don't want to paint his life as miserable. It's not. But it's not perfect. This past year he has been a loving lap cat who enjoys his food, my company and napping with his cat friends. He purrs for me but stays in the closet now where I set his food and blanket. He's not in pain. He's defecating, urinating and eating a little. I don't know what to do. It's not like I can get euthanasia services on demand during Thanksgiving week. I certainly don't want him to go too soon. Any advice? I am floundering here and so sad. It's overwhelming and never gets easier. Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no has responded yet, but it would seem your situation is probably fairly rare and there may be no one on this site with any experiences to offer. You mentioned that the surgery Monkeydo went through was a patch, not a fix - was it expected that another surgery would be needed at some point in time? Also, what did the vet have to say about his abdomen doubling in size since last Saturday? Is it possible to back off the amount of fluids you are giving him?

I would have a heart to heart talk with the vet about her view of another surgery being successful, and what else you can do for your cat in the meantime if you need a few more days to think this all over. Is there any way to drain some of the fluid from his abdomen, which might help him feel better for a bit? Did she speak of the possibility of scar tissue building up from the initial surgery and that might be the cause? I do know that in humans, surgery involving areas in and around the intestines can be prone to scar tissue development.

I have nothing of value to offer, but wanted you to know you do have an 'ear' with the folks on this site, even if that might only mean having someone to vent to.

How old is your buddy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no has responded yet, but it would seem your situation is probably fairly rare and there may be no one on this site with any experiences to offer. You mentioned that the surgery Monkeydo went through was a patch, not a fix - was it expected that another surgery would be needed at some point in time? Also, what did the vet have to say about his abdomen doubling in size since last Saturday? Is it possible to back off the amount of fluids you are giving him?

I would have a heart to heart talk with the vet about her view of another surgery being successful, and what else you can do for your cat in the meantime if you need a few more days to think this all over. Is there any way to drain some of the fluid from his abdomen, which might help him feel better for a bit? Did she speak of the possibility of scar tissue building up from the initial surgery and that might be the cause? I do know that in humans, surgery involving areas in and around the intestines can be prone to scar tissue development.

I have nothing of value to offer, but wanted you to know you do have an 'ear' with the folks on this site, even if that might only mean having someone to vent to.

How old is your buddy?
Monkeydo is 14.6 years old. The 2020 surgery was to remove 3 giant pseudocysts from his liver. Once inside, the surgeon saw that the "cysts" were his bile ducts, presumably taking on the role of the atrophied gall bladder. It was a rare surgery. Nobody could say how it would hold up. We have watched the bile ducts, which filled up again post-surgery but not as much, with regular ultrasounds. The internist has no idea what is causing the inflammation. She suspects a leak. But I am starting to think he had this all along. Whenever I asked why his sides protruded, she would say she did not know. No masses were seen in the ultrasounds and the bloodwork has been fine. Regarding the increased size of his abdomen, the vet said it is not a good sign. It likely means the antibiotics are not working. She is off today and tomorrow, so I cannot ask about backing off on fluids, but that has been my thought, too. I touched on that last night with her. I think she said the body would have more fluid available for whatever is leaking to produce even more. So she appreciated the question but had no answer. In our talk, she agreed with not doing surgery, that she would not put her own cat through it again. Another rare surgery with no evidence of success. I also thought about draining fluid, but she never suggested that last night. I think I read on line that you do not want to disturb that because it could spread.
I made an appointment a while ago for in-home euthanization Friday. I pray he stays comfortable enough to hold on until then. Thanks for your input.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is off today and tomorrow, so I cannot ask about backing off on fluids, but that has been my thought, too... I also thought about draining fluid, but she never suggested that last night. I think I read on line that you do not want to disturb that because it could spread.
Does she have a back-up to ask about the draining, and reduction of fluids?

No comparison, but we had the excess fluid drained from Tawny (RIP at 15 yo - with FIP) three times, not as a cure, but just to help him feel better for a while.

My heart goes out to you and Monkeydo.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she have a back-up to ask about the draining, and reduction of fluids?

No comparison, but we had the excess fluid drained from Tawny (RIP at 15 yo - with FIP) three times, not as a cure, but just to help him feel better for a while.

My heart goes out to you and Monkeydo.
I'm going to call and ask the question. The way things are with covid-19 and vets in the Los Angeles area right now it is not uncommon to get a response the next day or after, if you even get one. It's that bad. All I get are apologies. I also had an FIP cat and we took fluid off of his abdomen a few times. To my knowledge, Monkeydo doesn't have actual fluid. What we saw Saturday were all these lesion type things covering the lining. Maybe they were floating. Maybe they were attached. I did not think to ask. There wasn't any free fluid but there could be now.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The internist texted the medical office that I can stop the fluids totally. She does not believe that this is causing the increase in abdominal size/weight however. The bloodwork results came in; she didn't charge me because her assistant failed to send them out on Saturday. But the results in her words are a "moot point."
Thanks again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have nothing constructive to add, but am very sorry that you are facing this. It is not a condition with which I am the least bit familiar but I can empathize about vet care and its accessibility in this area right now. Sending supportive thoughts to you and Monkeydo.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The internist texted the medical office that I can stop the fluids totally. She does not believe that this is causing the increase in abdominal size/weight however. The bloodwork results came in; she didn't charge me because her assistant failed to send them out on Saturday. But the results in her words are a "moot point."
I am sorry to hear this, but the least she could do was explain what the results are and why it is a moot point. I hope she did that for you.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope she did that for you.
She DID:
Dear Ms. H.
Attached are the lab results for Monkeydo that were delayed. They do show the beginning of a significant inflammatory condition (it is highly likely that this inflammation is much worse now or that the white blood cells would actually be low if white blood cells pouring into his abdomen faster than he can make them). The low albumin is due to the peritonitis as well (protein is rapidly leaked into the abdomen) and as it drops lower (likely even lower now) this will further exacerbate fluid loss into this abdomen as albumin helps to hold fluid in the blood stream. As we discussed these results are somewhat of a "moot point" at this time. I am thinking of you at this very difficult time.
Dr. O.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For closure on this post I wanted to let you know that I chose in home euthanasia for Monkeydo November 26.
Although he rallied on Thanksgiving Day, lost a pound overnight seemingly from his abdomen, and started eating again, I had no assurances that he would recover without another exploratory surgery. The fact that the strong antibiotics and fluids seemed to be kicking in made my decision even tougher. But I knew how he'd lived the previous 14 months after the Sep 2020 surgery. Often nauseous. Usually vomiting. Either uncomfortable or in pain. Hiding from me to avoid Cerenia. Living on gabapentin and mirataz. And I just couldn't do it to him. It suddenly felt so unfair. To put him through surgery another time just because I could not face losing him. How long would I keep doing this? Wasn't suffering 14 months enough?
I put love over personal loss and let him go. It still hurts like hell.