Inflammation In Esophagus

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I'm reaching out to get your thoughts on Inflammation of the esophagus.

Lilly had and E-tube in for 3 weeks in October. Ever since she's been sick (Oct 3) she hasn't been able to eat kibble. Every time she does, she throws up almost immediately. It's white and foamy. On Saturday, she was sneaky and got into some boiled chicken. It was a disaster. She threw up six times, and then couldn't even drink water. We with held food and water over night and she did okay the next day.

We've been giving her pureed food since Thanksgiving day. That day she couldn't even eat pate- white, foamy vomit. Since then, she has vomited here and there. Sometimes when she eats I see her hard swallow. When she throws up the white foamy vomit, it's really weird. I can hear the saliva foaming up in her. After she throws up, she has raspy breathing and sometimes coughs.

She's on tons of meds which we give using a pill popper. We coat them in this potassium gel and make sure to flush with water. However, she has just vomited so many times, I'm afraid she has severe irritation from it.

Any thoughts/advice?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd love to have something solid for you do do at home, but since she has been through so very much, I really think that a call to her vet is in order. Explain what is going on, and ask if she needs to be seen, and if not, what you can do to alleviate her issues at home.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I have no experience with this condition. But I do know that cats can have some serious problems if they don't eat for 48 hours. Could you try feeding her KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement)? If she will not or can not drink it from a bowl, you might try syringing her as if she were a kitten. Seeing how irritated her esophagus and stomach are, start with small amounts, one or two ml. Then see how well she tolerates it.

Please keep us current on your cat's condition. Maybe other site members will comment. There is a wealth of experience and knowledge available here. But please take her to your vet or call him as suggested by Mamany1953.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year Jasmine had a severly inflamed esophagus. Part of her treatment was Sucralfate and Pepcid AC (as directed by vet) to combat acid reflux that would make her throat worse. Don't know if this is any help, just thought I would mention it. Hope your baby is feeling better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's been eat pretty good. She didn't eat last night, but did a little this morning so we gave her the tiniest piece of Mirtazipine. From the pet cam, I see she's eaten almost all the food we left for her today already. She also get Prilosec every morning.

We always monitor her food intake. She's eating Red Barn Lamb. 1 can is 200 kcal which is what she needs in a day.