Inflamed Anus, Chronic Constipation

carbo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My guy is a feral cat we rescued a few years ago. Estimated age of about 5. He is now what I would describe as semi-feral. For the past two years or so he, (and me by extension), have dealt with his chronic constipation. Once so bad it required an emergency vet via mobile hospital to come to the house, sedate Rio, and remove the impacted stool manually. Since then I've been diligent about this issue. It comes and goes, apparently. For the past few months I have been sprinkling a capsule, (500mg), of psyllium husk on his wet food every morning which he readily eats. On occasion, 2 to 3 times weekly I also give him a 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax to keep things moving. He's mostly outdoors so monitoring his bathroom events aren't always possible. The few times I have caught him in the act he does seem to struggle but at least things are moving. Appetite and behavior are as usual.
While he isn't aggressive with me, getting him in a carrier and to the vet will prove damn near impossible. Believe me, I've tried and I have the scars to prove it. . .LOL
Anyway, he was sleeping in his usual spot and in such a position that I was able to snap a photo of his butt. Looks inflamed to me. Opinions on what may be going on here? Thank you.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Inflamed, even a tiny bit protruded, and I am not sure if this could eventually lead to a prolapse. To me, it does not look prolapsed, but that is just my non professional opinion.

I have ferals and semi ferals, so I do sympathize with you about trying to get him in a carrier and even monitoring his bowel movements. He is lucky that you have taken such good care of him so far.

This probably does not mean that you need to rush him to the ER today, but I don't see this getting better. It might be already, or will be painful, so trying to figure out how to get him in a carrier is probably the next step.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could you try sending this photo to your Vet to see if they have any suggestions of what you might do without having to bring him in? I'm not sure what that might be other than increasing the Miralax from a few times a week to possibly daily, since I'm guessing touching that area is going to be a big NO :wink:

Just as an aside, I give one of my guys Miralax too, and I give it to him twice per day! 1/8th to 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in a little bit of water than added to his wet food. Works for him.

aleeming

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would add canned pumpkin (plain, not any sort of mix) to his diet if he'll eat it. Many cats like it but often will eat it mixed on with soft food they like if not straight. That's assuming they like soft food.

You said "on occasion" you give him Miralax? Could it be that his body is used to it and now he will get constipated WITHOUT it? (Like how using a decongestant nose spray all the time means when you don't you are stopped up). Perhaps using it on a regular basis or trying it at the same time as something else like pumpkin until he's regular and then trying to wean him off it might work? Or if that doesn't but it helps, just give it regularly not just after there's an issue?

I have asthma that was not controlled for years because doctors treated me for outbreaks, not prevention. Eventually an allergist put me on MULTIPLE medications at high doses and got it under control. Then we dialed back slowly. I'm now on less medication than I was when I was not controlled. Sometimes that's the only way to get started.

I might ask the vet about prednisolone because I've found that helps a lot with all sorts of inflammation. I've had cats on it long term with no ill effects. You just can't stop suddenly once you start. But if he has inflammation going on maybe that would help.

I would also check his anal sacs. I had a cat have one get infected and basically explode. We noticed she was scooting and had a red butt, but thought maybe it was some sort of worms. Before we got her in for a check-up she had a nasty open wound next to her anus. Healed up nicely (antibiotics and cleaning out with a syringe--she is VERY docile luckily). Anyway, just throwing out whatever other butt issues I can think of. Worms should be checked if possible of course

We have had completely feral cats live in our house because they couldn't go back out and it is difficult to get them to the vet or treat anything, so I sympathize there