Infection1 week after delivery??

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also forgot to mention that they must be fed every 2 hours rather than 3-4. They are far too young to wait so long, it takes 2 hours for them to digest what they are fed, once it's gone they have no resources and dehydrate fast.

Round the clock too....

No mama still??

Potty at least after each feeding, some do it before as well, so they are a bit calmer during feeding.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It appears I gave some inaccurate advice, sorry about that, esp with the temp as I could very easy danger their life

Just follow catwoman advice and you will do great

mdaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have them flat (like they are bellied up to mom eating) and I'm using a medicine dropper from my baby ibuprofen. I found a shelter that had just found a stray that had a dead kitten and they think she still has milk so we are going to try to unite them in the morning! Fingers crossed! I think it would actually work to bottle them ourselves since my boys are doing really good with them, but my bigger concern is that we can't teach them how to survive outside like their mama could.
The adoptive mama cat will teach the kittens the skills they need. Don't worry :-) The very first cat I adopted when I was a newlywed nursed a puppy and taught him how to use the litter box. Some lucky dog owner has a dog that can dig holes to hide his messes. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
1.5 ml no go on the running somewhere. We are kinda in the middle of nothing! I have evaporated milk or powdered milk??
Evaporated milk is used sometimes in emergency glop.  Do you have white caro syrup?  Egg or rather, raw egg yolk?  a trifle salt to add?   If so, you can prob make do an OK emergency glop.

Ah, so baby ibuprofen carries with it a 1,5 syringe.  Good to know, an useful tip.  Purrpoint awarded!

Ps, now I have catched up and read the whole tread.  I see you already had done such a glop. This or something similiar.  Good!

The gelatine probably not stricktly necessary, it helps the consistency.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here's what I've done so far.... I made a little concoction the best I could from that website you gave me. (Thanks) and wiped their bums (something I never thought I'd be doing!) Did not think a kitten could go potty that much! I "gave them a bath" and they seemed to be somewhat receptive to me feeding them. Don't get me wrong, they are some unhappy kittens right now, but they were hungry enough to try it. So now my question is how long to feed them (they each ate between 1.25 and 2.5 ml). They seem to be getting settled down again
If you by this mean, you helped them to eliminate - which I understand you did - its just splendid.   :)

If you literally gave them a bath - its very important to make sure they dont get chilled out in the process or afterwards.  No draught, nice warm and cozy, warm water (slightly more than lukewarm, as cats body temp is somewhat higher than ours), dry off thorougly, and be sure there is a heat pad on low heat in their nest, as they will still tend to freeze a while afterwards.

Avoid to give bath to young kittens, but sometimes it cant be helped.  They may be heavily flea infested.  Or have being soiled heavily...

Baths are risky if you arent  verry cautious.  They may still be somewhat risky even if you are cautious and careful. 

Its a balance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jbvoneye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope, not complete bath! Just warm cloth around their face to clean them up and another for their bum! Wow, I thought my babies were high maintenance [emoji]128521[/emoji] going to try and get a couple hours of sleep now before the next feedings! Really hope the foster mom works out for them [emoji]128533[/emoji]

jbvoneye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama's back! I have no idea what she was doing all night. Very unlike her to be away from them like that. Hopefully everything will be ok now! Thanks so much for all the advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless you! Hope you slept a tiny bit and kittens are thriving today. Please let us know what is happening today. :)

jbvoneye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boys are going to be so happy when they wake up!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness! Pick up some KMR by PetAg at the pet store or Walmart so you will have it on hand just in case. Is there any way you can lure mama into your garage along with the kittens for a few weeks until they can eat on their own? They start to wean over to moistened kitten chow and wet food between 5 to 6 weeks old. Mama would probably like to drink some KMR as well for extra nourishment while she nurses. I know she is semi-feral, but this disappearing act is not good.

By the way, you did a great job last night! :)

jbvoneye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, mom and kittens seem to be doing well! Still can't figure out where she was all night. I think the kittens nursed for 4 straight hours this morning!!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you got her lock up in the garage? It is possible she in heat and got pregnant again

mdaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are back to normal and that's good. Do TRY to keep mama cat in the house if at all possible at it only takes once to have her pregnant again. I don't know if they make barrier pants for cats but they do for dogs. The barrier pants help prevent pregnancy. You'll have to ask someone here about that as this is beyond my area of expertise. All my cats have been spayed or neutered so I am no expert.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Sounds like things are back to normal and that's good. Do TRY to keep mama cat in the house if at all possible at it only takes once to have her pregnant again. I don't know if they make barrier pants for cats but they do for dogs. The barrier pants help prevent pregnancy. You'll have to ask someone here about that as this is beyond my area of expertise. All my cats have been spayed or neutered so I am no expert.
No, that is not common.  There are anti-spray pants, so the studs may be allowed to visit the family rooms.  And sometimes females may also be hard on spraying.

I suppose these can be used for prevention - tx for the tip, but afaik they are anti spray as their main purpose.

I thougt these pants on dogs were to stop their monthly bleeding?  partly alike with human females?

But you say they may be used also as prevention... OK!

mdaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

No, that is not common.  There are anti-spray pants, so the studs may be allowed to visit the family rooms.  And sometimes females may also be hard on spraying.

I suppose these can be used for prevention - tx for the tip, but afaik they are anti spray as their main purpose.

I thougt these pants on dogs were to stop their monthly bleeding?  partly alike with human females?

But you say they may be used also as prevention... OK!
StefanZ I don't know much about this aspect of cat care. I've always had my cats spayed or neutered promptly. The earliest neuter was done at 8 weeks as my kitten needed abdominal surgery and I figured while the vet was at it he could neuter the kitten. My brother was a Yorkie breeder so I could ask him about the doggie barrier pants.

I hope you read my vent post in another section of the forum. I was searching online last night as I was researching cat breeds. I MAY adopt another cat later this year if my heart is ready.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad to hear that mom and kittens are happily together again. Hope all continues to go well! :)