infection on cats leg

beachwood45789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, is there anything i can put on my cats leg he has an infection i have started giving amooxcillinum dosage of 1/2 teaspon spoon in his food but is there anything that i can put directly on the wound like neo sporin something he wont lick off or get sick please reply he is 10 tears old he is my baby

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep giving the oral antibiotic, and add to it chamomile tea as a topical treatment. Buy the tea bags at your grocery store. ALL commercially prepared chamomile tea bags are German chamomile, which is safe for cats and medicinally active. The English variety which grows in many gardens is useless, and TOXIC to cats. Buy plain, unblended chamomile (the boxes are clearly marked). Brew a cup of the tea, chill it in the fridge, and swab on his leg several times a day. Chamomile is VERY soothing to "skin ouchies," as well as being mildly antibacterial and antifungal. AND, since it is safe for internal use as a calming agent, the tiny amounts he will lick off are totally safe for him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd ask the vet if it's ok to apply ointment on the wound or not. Sometimes it's best to leave the wound open so it can breathe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beachwood45789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, is there anything i can put on my cats leg he has an infection i have started giving amooxcillinum dosage of 1/2 teaspon spoon in his food but is there anything that i can put directly on the wound like neo sporin something he wont lick off or get sick please reply he is 10 tears old he is my baby
Hi, thank you for the info i just orderd a wound spray from chewy do you know if it help my baby?

beachwood45789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just orderd a wound spray from chewy do you think it will help my baby

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is specifically for cats, it certainly won't hurt a thing. Chewy tends to be very reliable about checking products before they will sell them.

beachwood45789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes it is for cats thank you for your reply i have an outside cat do you think i should keep him in the house for a while

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It wouldn't hurt, so long as he doesn't become extremely anxious. Of course, if he likes it inside, you may never get him out again!

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try vetericyn spray at any pet store & also using the gauze bandages to keep him from licking it

did the vet prescribe the amox? Maybe they can also prescribe a topical ointment too.
Dont try neosporin or any human ointments though

also diluting iodine solution and applying with cotton ball helps, my vet has done that for my cats paw

beachwood45789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no the vet did not prescribe i am a racing homer flyer i have had birds for over 45 years i know a lot about medacating pigeons the amxo i use is for pigeons i have given it to cats be for with no ill effects and it is much cheaper you can buy it on any pigeon supply store like jedds and foys you can buy a 100 gram bottle of powder for about 20$ also baytrill and just about any kind of antibiotic you want, if any one would like i can post there websites, now back to my cat he is much better now but for the last 3 weeks he is eating a lot more food some times he wants 3 cans a day dry food is always avalibe for him, is that normal i fell his belly and it is really full should i be concerned about that, he goes out a least 1 once a week and dont come back for 2 or 3 days. Thank You, Robert

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are several reasons he could be eating way more than usual. But...is he actually gaining weight? That matters a lot. If he is, could be old age (if he is over 10 years old), or diabetes, If he is not, or is actually losing weight, it could be either an absorption issue, or hyperthyroidism. And it might be behavioral. However, it needs a vet to pin it down.

beachwood45789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no he is not gaining weight or losing weight and yes he is 10 years, old i dont know what hyperthyroidism means? can i post pics here?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of course you can post pictures here! Just use the "attach files" button below the reply box.

Hyperthyroidism is when a cat's (or human's) thyroid gland becomes overactive. It speeds up their metabolisms, making them hungry, and can cause other medical issues. A vet has to diagnose this with bloodwork. There is a medication for it, and if that doesn't work, a surgical procedure which almost ALWAYS works (but leaves your cat's waste radioactive for a period of time). However, he does need a physical to pin down what is causing this.

beachwood45789

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i want to thank all of you for helping my baby i really appericate your help i will post some pics of him on wedensday please thank all of you excuse my spelling ok