Infected Anal gland?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do cat have anal glands?

My Cat Audrey seems to have been scooting and biteing at her rear and I was thinking maybe there was some poop stuck in her fur so as a good mommy I was going to remove it.

I moved her tail and kinda spread the fur around her bottom and got a blast of stinky fluid all over my shirt. It seem to have scared her and she ran off leaving me stinky and wonder what the heck happpened.

I am thinking if it's an infected gland I need to drain it and get her to the vet. Can anyone tell me if I am at least in the ballpark?

My dog has has an infected Gland before so I am thinking if dogs have them cats probably do too right?

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do indeed have anal sacs, and they sometimes need "expresing" by a vet.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep and yep - more common in dogs, but happens in cats (both of mine, for example). The vet or the tech can do the expressing for you (it was something like $20 at my vet), and, if it's infected, they can treat that. My girl had an infected anal gland - that required antibiotics.

I would definitely get her in, just to make sure it's not infected. Sounds like you're an old hand at this, and I bet the vet would be happy to teach you how to check and do the feline expression version on your own. Mine offered - but apparently very few pet parents accept the training.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Dexter has anal glands that get plugged....
he has to have his vet express them every few months or they might become infected.

You are wise to have your vet look your sweetie pie over....
better safe than sorry.

Be sure to let us know what you find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took her to the vet, it looks like I drained the gland without knowing it yesterday when we had the incident. I took her to the vet, the liquid was clear and all is good. Looks like the gland has been leaking but due to her not being able to clean herself it wasn't drained properly. Now she is all better and seems happy although she is still tentitive of anyone being around her rear I am glad to have it over and done with and I am cleanig her with a gentle alchol solution recomended by the doctor just to keep things clean and healthy untill she looses the weight.
She seems to be loosing some and I have taken away some of her dry food (she was on a compleet dry diet) and replaced it with some wet which she enjoys and should help her loose some of those added pounds.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great news.

Be sure to keep us updated about Audrey's battle with her weight.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Took her to the vet, it looks like I drained the gland without knowing it yesterday when we had the incident. I took her to the vet, the liquid was clear and all is good. Looks like the gland has been leaking but due to her not being able to clean herself it wasn't drained properly. Now she is all better and seems happy although she is still tentitive of anyone being around her rear I am glad to have it over and done with and I am cleanig her with a gentle alchol solution recomended by the doctor just to keep things clean and healthy untill she looses the weight.
She seems to be loosing some and I have taken away some of her dry food (she was on a compleet dry diet) and replaced it with some wet which she enjoys and should help her loose some of those added pounds.
Sounds good.

Bijou was overweight and I also took him off all dry food and gave him only wet. He lost almost 4 pounds in one year which was wonderful. The vet said it was equivalent to a human losing 60 lbs.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Monet had stinky glands with the same disgusting fluids. It went away when I switched him to better food. That might help you too