Inductive odontogenic tumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

castoretpollux

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat has stopped eating since Monday (so 5th day today). He's just wandering from one place to the other to sleep. He's not yet that weakened although he has lost a lot of weight. I asked the vet for tomorrow, and he said that if our decision is made, he will do it.
But my husband seems to think he can go one more week... On the one hand I would be happy to have him one more week, but on the other, I don't think he's enjoying his life right now. He doesn't seem that bad, but he sleeps all day, and comes to us only once in the morning and once in the evening when he uses the litter box ou tries to drink.
It's a very scary decision to make. This week-end or the next ?
He stopped eating, how many days can a cat live like this ? It doesn't seem fair to let him live like this...

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I feel so much for you.
If he's stopped eating and you feel it is not fair on him to keep him going, then maybe you have made that decision?
We always have to filter this decision through whether we are keeping a cat going because it's so hard to say goodbye, versus their needs. If you think there is any quality of life, then there's your answer. If not, then you also have your answer.
But to be really honest, a cat that definitely hasn't eaten in five days is going to be very miserable; it's highly likely his liver is failing.
(((((hugs)))))

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a saying “ Always better a day to soon than a day to late”.
When I had my horse euthanized, it was the hardest decision I have ever made. I felt like my soul was being ripped out of my body. She was in pain, but horses hide their pain like cats do. I made the decision immediately and without thinking about it, if that makes sense. I just called the vet. While waiting for the vet I pretended it wasn’t going to happen. Afterwards I slept for days. I know it was what needed to be done, but I still wish I had waited.I know in my head I shouldn’t have. It hurt me allot to do it and it still lives in my head and memories flood me daily. It is agony for me, but I loved her that much. So, I sacrificed my own happiness to free her from pain.
With Rusty my senior best kitty in the world, who had been battling renal failure for 3+ years, I kept him going because I could. I could give him fluids and injectable medications at home. When he stopped eating, I could give injectable appetite stimulants and other medications. I was so happy I had a vet that I worked for whovv B would let me treat at home to avoid stressing him with a visit.
It wasn’t until my no animal experienced significant other, who never offered opinions or anything other than financial help if needed, regarding the animals, said “I am worried that Rusty is going to die when you aren’t here and I won’t know what to do.!”
That checked my reality and I called my vet and we agreed to meet at the hospital that afternoon. I waited in the garage until the time to leave. When I took him out of the carrier in the vets office, and saw the look of horror in my vets face, I knew. I felt sick. I had him euthanized. She gave sedation and pain medications first and he tried to get the fish in the fish tank in the office. He was such a happy cat and I realized I hadn’t seen him happy in years. I still couldn’t see what my vet saw, but his weight went from 17 lbs down to 4 lbs in 3 years. When the sedation kicked in and he was sound asleep, she gave the injection that would end his life. When he died, I saw, felt him rise up. This is strange because I am not religious and have assisted hundreds of animals in death and never saw this before.

I know I waited far too long with Rusty. I know I kept him alive, in pain, and suffering because I didn’t want him not to be with me. I can’t go back and change things but if I could, I would.

With my horse, maybe it was agony for me to make the decision when she was still a clown and could walk and ate well, but I know I did the right thing.

I have written all of this to just offer some insight into the entire process and some of the emotions that can obscure reality with this. Of course everyone is different and unique.
I hope maybe you can find some useful information to help.

I C am truly sorry you are going through this and it is obvious how much you love your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

castoretpollux

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your story. I think that's what I need to do, put myself in auto mode and think after, otherwise it will be impossible.
I'm so sorry you had to go through this...
I'm scared of so many things, that I waited too long or not enough, that I will not be able to stay with him (but I will), that he won't understand why I do this, and also, as weird as it may seem, I really would like to be sure that they will take good care of him up there.
I really would like to get a sign as you had or something, anything that would help me to be sure it was the right thing to do and the right timing, and that he doesn't resent me, and that he's happy now, and that he will have another life somewhere else, or go help another family, or whatever, but I kinda need to know it's not over for him, and what you're saying about feeling him raise is a good thing for me, and if you would like to explain a little more, that would help (if there's something more to explain)...

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is hard to explain. It was like his spirit lifted up and out of his body, It was visual but mostly I felt it. I don't think the doctor did because she didn't say anything.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry. It is a very hard decision to make… a couple of times I wish I had a day earlier. If he is not eating and his liver is affected you can do blood work to confirm it , but you prolly don’t want to put him though that. I think you will know when it is time. When my Sybil left us, as they gave her the first injection, she stood up on her front legs and was walking, like she was running to everyone else at the bridge, I hope so. Hugs 🤗💕

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We let him go yesterday…
It was very peaceful so I have no regrets but it’s so hard…
We’re so sad…
I am very sorry for your loss😿 hugs to you… run free sweet boy and watch over your people🌈🐾💕🐈

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
castoretpollux castoretpollux
The TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss.
Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute at our Crossing the Bridge forum as an enduring testimony to your friend.

RIP Lovely Cat
💚 :rbheart: ❣ :rbheart: 💙

Status
Not open for further replies.