Indoors, Spayed Kitten Won't Stop Sitting By Front Door

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. :) I have a question I was hoping somebody could help me with. My kitten, Cinnabon, recently developed a habit of sitting by the front door.

She's a strictly indoors cat, 5 months old, who just got spayed yesterday. The surgery went very well (vet said she's a "perfect candidate"). However her door habit developed before this, and today even after being spayed, she's still doing it. I've tried to coax her away with toys and cuddles, and she'll come over to me for a bit, before going straight back to the door.

It's also really strange because she usually HAS to be where I am, or in my general vicinity. However the front door is downstairs and quite a ways from my room. Has anyone else's cat done something like this?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might take a couple of weeks for her hormones to leave her system. If I was guessing I would say she smells something interesting outside. Do your lower windows have screens? If so, I would try opening one that is on the same side of the door. That way she can watch & sniff what is going on in her neighborhood. If my front door is open, my guys will sit in front of it & look outside (They are trained and no not to cross the invisible boundary of the door.) Even though they are allowed out in the backyard they still like to look out into the front yard. Cats & curiosity go hand in hand :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Danteshuman. Today she's still at it. Refuses to budge from the door. We do have windows but the ledges are only big enough for her to sit on if the window is open. Since it's getting really cold where we are the windows on the first floor aren't open. I did open the window for her for a minute, but she didn't show much interest. I just don't know what's going on!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
HalloweenWelcome.jpg

I'm glad you finally took the plunge and posted! Since you've been lurking, you know we love photos so please post some of Cinnabon. :camera:

Another reason why cats sit by the door is if they are hoping someone in particular is going to walk through that door. That seems a bit unlikely in Cinnabon's case since she developed the habit after being with and bonding with you. Still, it's worth thinking back about the people with whom Cinnabon came into contact on a regular basis before she started just sitting there.

Does she just sit or does she also go to sleep in her spot? If she spends most of her time sitting, that does suggest she is waiting for something (the door opening) or someone (an old friend.)

Good luck in figuring this out. catman.gif

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt read too much into or or worry about it. It could be as simple as this is where she saw a bug crawling and she is waiting for it to return. Or maybe the rug is soft or the floor feels cool or warm or there is a good smell that drifts to this spot. For cats favorite places and obsession with certain places come and go. As long as she is eating and using the litterbox, I am sure it will pass.