Indoor vs Outdoor, your opinion.

mennen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitty wants to go out so bad.  We live in the country and there are many predatory critters in the woods, so we don't let him out.  We want to protect him.  I am just curious how others feel about this subject.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How about a compromise in the form of a safe, solid enclosure? It doesn't have to be "all or nothing", and if you're handy, you can build one yourself.

I walked our last cat every day using a harness and leash, and he could go out on a balcony secured with netting whenever he wanted. Our current cat uses the secured balcony when we're home (he's young and insists on climbing the netting). He can enjoy the sun and fresh air, watch the birds, neighbors, etc., but is safe from cars, predators and evil people.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that an outdoor enclosure is a very good solution to keep your cat safe and at the same time let him enjoy the outside. Btw, is your cat neutered? In my experience, a "fixed" kitty has less compulsion to roam.  My cats go outside and they hardly leave the property. They also come when called.  

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally am not comfortable with allowing my cat to be outdoor. There's too many things that could get them hurt, make them sick, etc.

But it sounds like you have some space, so I agree an outdoor enclosure could be a great compromise. They get to have some fun outside without as much risk. You can put some cat grasses/catnip out there, climbers, etc, to make it an appealing place to be.

Also agree that if your cat is not neutered that this is probably part of why they want out so bad. Neutering will probably tone down that drive a lot, in addition to its many health benefits for the cat.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you considered a harness? Matt couldn't stand being kept indoors all the time after being a stray, and I can't build. So I harness-trained him. Now he comes running at the sound of his leash and sits for me to put it on(with many purrs)

He knows that the only way he's going outside is on the end of the retractable leash.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I moved to my apartment, I had Bella on a harness and took her outside. I guess I just wanted to keep her safe so  she won't run away..Bella took to the harness good. I'm just worried if I just let her out she won't come back,but if she did at least she won't come back pregnant. cause she is fixed.