indoor smoking and cats

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for any information regarding indoor pipe/cigar smoking has on a cat's appetite or causing them to have nausea. Information specific to cigarette smoking might work too though the smoke from cigarettes is quite different (dissipates faster and doesn't cling to fabric/walls/etc). I know studies have shown cigarette smoke can cause various forms of cancer (it's debatable if pipe/cigar smoking does the same b/c the studies I've read did not include those in their data). But what about less "deadly" things like just nausea or loss of appetite? At any rate I can see a strong odor in the house overpowering any aroma a bowl of cat food has.

I've had a few posts here about my 10 year old girl and her reluctance to eat and how it seems to be inconsistent. I got to thinking today, what if it isn't inconsistent. What if it is consistent with something I am doing? The only thing I could possibly think of is that I do smoke tobacco pipes indoors. My smoking isn't consistent. I didn't smoke yesterday and she ate like a champ but today I smoked a few pipes and she ate not quite as good. I normally have to shake the bowl while she's eating to keep her going and if I've handled a pipe or tobacco she seems to not like it as much until I wash my hands good. I'll go the next 10 days or so w/o smoking and see if that has any changes on her.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
All my life I grew up around a constant fog of harsh parental pipe smoke, Camels, Pall Malls and we always had cats. But they & I were indoor/outdoor so had a chance at a fresh air fund. Out of the myriad of cats only one died from cancer, and beyond the usual hair ball, no visible nausea. Was it good for them? I am sure not. More importantly, and I say this only b/c my mom quit smoking 10 years before her death & still had to walk around w/ an oxygen tank, is it good for YOU? Me asking you isn’t a judgement statement, and this doesn’t answer your initial question, but…say your cats were your kids, would you want them to breathe smoke? Will be interested to know what happens after 10 days…it is a good question you are asking here. It might be good to ask your vet this question too.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
I don't have any additional resources for you regarding the effect of pipe smoke on cats. l know there is an increased risk of cancer in cats from households where there is a smoker.

When you think about it, cats live much shorter lives than we do. So, any effects that we might have from smoking much later in life will be affecting cats much sooner. They are also 1/10 or less of our size so anything they are exposed to is like us having 10 times or more the dose. If that makes any sense.

I smoke but never around animals. Always outside. I don't smoke in my car in case I have to take them somewhere or give a ride to an animal. If I smoke, I always wash my hands and take off whatever jacket I am wearing so as not to get the cats ill.

Here is a link to the FDA re tobacco but it doesn't say anything specific regarding pipe tobacco as opposed to cigarettes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Brief update...we're on day 4 and the cat has been eating noticeably easier. Zero fights or refusals to eat and her appetite has fluctuated a bit in this small sample but the key is no refusals. Never gone this long without a refusal since she got difficult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
...and I spoke too soon. Complete and utter refusal to eat this morning. Wouldn't even walk to the bowl. So out of character for her. Even after a good poop wouldn't even sniff the bowl. Tried carrying her to the bowl and just nothing.

Experiment over.