Indoor plug in heated bed suggestions?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interested in heated beds or pads for my kitties. Indoor use. Which ones has everyone tried and liked? Also, are there any with a more towel material or a towel can be placed over?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have this heated mat that one of my cats likes to sleep on. The mat was originally used to keep a cage of mice warm. The company makes the exact same mat for cats and it's labeled as such. I don't cover the mat with anything since it doesn't get warm enough to burn skin. Any heated bed or mat can have a folded towel or blanket placed over it for more comfort and to ensure a cat doesn't get too warm.

I also have microwavable pads that stay warm for at least a good 12 hours if wrapped in a blanket.

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got to walgreens or target something like that and get a human heating pad. They generally have a couple of different temperature settings and turn off automatically after a set amount of time. Put this in any old cat bed and put a kitchen towel over it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Amazon and Chewy have a number of them and you can look for what suits you. I think that mine are K and H but I am not sure and can't find a label. Pet pads are more controlled heat than a human heating pad and are usually designed to be more cost efficient. I ran up a huge electric bill using a human heating pad once for a cat who needed continual heat in the winter.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pet pads are more controlled heat than a human heating pad and are usually designed to be more cost efficient. I ran up a huge electric bill using a human heating pad once for a cat who needed continual heat in the winter.
:yeah:

In a pinch a Human heating pad set to the lowest setting and a thick folded bath towel or blanket over it (kitchen towels are not thick enough) will work but be cautious as even that may get too hot for a pet. Not all pets will move off if they get too warm or uncomfortable. Be safe and use only a heating mat / pad / bed that is specifically made for pet / animal use. Many are pressure sensitive and only warm up to just above ambient temperature when a pet is sitting on it. The pad / mat / be can be plugged into a timer so it turns off at a certain time.