Indoor/outdoor Cat?

Ms. Snarls

Guardian of Mr. Mitch Snarls
Kitten
Purraise
I have read in different places that outdoor cats live significantly shorter lives than indoor cats. I have an enclosed patio area behind my apartment and like to let my kitty play out there. I also like to let him explore a grassy field (on a leash) that is a shared space with my apartment building. Will this similarly affect his lifespan? He spends an hour or two outside every day.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have read in different places that outdoor cats live significantly shorter lives than indoor cats. I have an enclosed patio area behind my apartment and like to let my kitty play out there. I also like to let him explore a grassy field (on a leash) that is a shared space with my apartment building. Will this similarly affect his lifespan? He spends an hour or two outside every day.
The shorter life span people claim is for free roaming cats, not those on a leash or confined to an enclosed patio.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Snarls

Kitten
Purraise
The shorter life span people claim is for free roaming cats, not those on a leash or confined to an enclosed patio.
That was the impression I got, but with little explanation why beyond other animals are dangerous. I wasn't sure if there was something inherent to outdoor exposure that could shorten his life slowly, or if instant death like getting hit by a car or animals is the only danger.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Indoor/outdoor cats are noted as having shorter lifespans because they have more exposure to things that could kill them. Therefore, statistically speaking, they tend to die younger. It would be similar to saying a person who works from home, doesn't travel and has groceries delivered would likely live longer then a person who travels, works at an office and shops in brick and motor stores.

It's all about exposure and probability. An indoor cat has less chance to cross paths with a rat who was posioned. An indoor cat will likely never get hit by a car. An indoor cat won't cross paths with a coyote or fox. An indoor cat won't get in a fight with another cat and risk infection. It doesn't mean an indoor/outdoor cat can't live just as long; just that they encounter more hazards and are more likely to die of accident, injury or contagious illnesses. While an indoor only cats biggest health risks will be kidney problems and cancer.

My crew are indoor/outdoor and I try to mitigate the dangers by ensuring the come in each night. I check them over daily for any injuries. We go to the vet immediately if something seems off. I also get annual exams, vaccines and will be getting an annual blood panel and abdominal x-rays once they are 9 years old so I can hopefully catch problems early.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Snarls

Kitten
Purraise
Indoor/outdoor cats are noted as having shorter lifespans because they have more exposure to things that could kill them. Therefore, statistically speaking, they tend to die younger. It would be similar to saying a person who works from home, doesn't travel and has groceries delivered would likely live longer then a person who travels, works at an office and shops in brick and motor stores.

It's all about exposure and probability. An indoor cat has less chance to cross paths with a rat who was posioned. An indoor cat will likely never get hit by a car. An indoor cat won't cross paths with a coyote or fox. An indoor cat won't get in a fight with another cat and risk infection. It doesn't mean an indoor/outdoor cat can't live just as long; just that they encounter more hazards and are more likely to die of accident, injury or contagious illnesses. While an indoor only cats biggest health risks will be kidney problems and cancer.

Thank you! That is super helpful. I really like my cat getting some fresh air but worried it would be shortening his lifespan. This makes me feel better about supervised outdoor excursions.

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the big risks for free roaming outdoor cats are interaction with other animals, eating things they shouldn't and getting hit by a car (although that last risk depends on how rural vs urban the area is that you live in - I live near train tracks and the thought of letting my two out here terrifies me! )

I suppose you could also count that you are less likely to notice any symptoms that could be seen in a litter pan for early diagnosis of illnesses.

None of these seem applicable to your situation where your cat is under constant supervision outside.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That was the impression I got, but with little explanation why beyond other animals are dangerous. I wasn't sure if there was something inherent to outdoor exposure that could shorten his life slowly, or if instant death like getting hit by a car or animals is the only danger.
Well they can be exposed to a lot of things outside that they won't when in indoors. Personally I allow my cat to free range. He has his own door in a window to come/go as he pleases. Its great that you take him for walks and he has a patio to play on. There's nothing wrong with grass, fresh air and sunshine!