Indoor/outdoor cat acting odd

midnight pet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry this is a little long but the situation is complicated.

Midnight is a large (12#) male about 1-1/2 years old and has been with us since just after weening. At first he was the only cat in the house and started going outside last May. Last summer he'd only come inside at night and this winter he even started staying out at night, which had me worried more than once. For several months he has been coming in at dusk and dawn to eat, then he'll hang out with us for an hour or so, then want back outside.

Star we rescued from a park last October where he had been abandoned. He was barely weened when we found him and him & Midnight got along fine, playing, sharing space, and sleeping together. In December, Star started sniffing and "preening" (is the only word I can think of) Midnight when Midnight would come inside for his visits & feeding but still no real problems between them. Midnight would sometimes get tired of Star bugging him (sniffing and preening) and would "attack" but nothing serious at all - a little hiss and sometimes a bite on the neck but they have played together almost as hard. When this happens, Star (now almost 8#) will quickly submit and the disagreement will be over.

To complicate matters, our daughter moved in with us for awhile and brought her cat, Nibbin (a 2 yo spayed female) with her. Nibbin has a poor disposition, even growling at me the first time I took her out of her room to show her where the common food & water was. (I'd pet her many times before then with no growling at all.) Anyway, she was kept apart for about a week while letting Star into her room starting for an hour and slowly increasing that time until they were kind of used to each other. She started wondering the house at will about a month ago and she still growls at Star if he comes to close but that's all. Enter Midnight about a week ago. This was the first time Midnight had actually seen her though he must have been smelling her for weeks and vice versa. When he got close enough for her to growl he'd just walk on by (ignoring her) or lay down and watch her. Everything was fine for the next few days.

Two days ago Midnight came in for his morning visit & feeding only he decided to stay inside all day instead of going back outside. He's done this occasionally all winter so I wasn't surprised or worried. That night he stayed inside even though the weather was acceptable, which did surprised me. He seldom stays in for more than a few hours unless it's nasty out. Then yesterday, it seemed like he wanted to reaffirm his dominance in the house. He started attacking Star as he did when Star would bug him too much but he wouldn't let Star get up this time. Every time Midnight would look away Star would get up like he's always done but Midnight wouldn't let him walk away - he kept "attacking" and Star would submit immediately. (Like I've seen other cats do with a mouse.) This was off & on all day long and into the next morning. Meanwhile, Midnight and Nibbin (the spayed female) had words yesterday as well, which even resulted in hissing, screaming, and one quick chase through the house. I was 10 seconds late to the fight so they may have exchanged punches (so to speak) but nothing more.

This morning Midnight went outside for the first time in two days but he stayed on the porch and came back in after a couple of hours. He hasn't attacked Star since yesterday morning and they seem to be getting along like normal again. Midnight & Nibbin are staying away from each other with no fights, though she still growls when either of them gets too close. Midnight seems to be eating OK, though not quite as much as he had been but that may be because he's not running around outside in the cold weather. And he's healthy as far as I can tell, no sores or tender spots.

So, there are a couple of things that have me concerned:

1. WAS Midnight just re-establishing his dominance in the house with all his antics the past few days?

2. Since he's stayed inside so much and not ventured out into the neighborhood even when he was outside, is there maybe something wrong with him? Is this normal for some adult cats when the weather changes? Am I worried about nothing?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Midnight Pet :wavey:

Are both of these boys neutered ? It's just this sound very much like typical entire male cat behaviour :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

midnight pet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neither are neutered.

That answers my first concern. When Midnight and Star first got into it I assumed it was just boys being boys - and if it was a little rougher than normal, well, Star is just past 6 mos and is definitely not a kitten anymore. But the continued sudden change in behavior from Midnight being out and wandering the neighborhood most of the time to staying indoors the past three days is what really bothers me.

He'll sit in front of the door, his signal for "Hey, I want out", but when I open the door he'll stand up, poke his head out & stare for several seconds, then sit back down and not go out (and the weather is springtime, almost). The one time he did go out over the last three days he was gone about two minutes - just long enough to do his business would be my guess - and he was back on the porch again, where he laid down and napped until we let him back in a few hours later. Very odd behavior for him. He hasn't done that since last summer. Usually when he goes out he'll visit several of the neighbors to leave his mark then stay out most of the day but seldom on our porch. He usually (but not always) spends his nights outside, too. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he's decided to spend more time at home. In fact, I was beginning to wonder if he was our cat anymore because I've seen indoor/outdoor cats turn almost wild and seldom come inside except for food and shelter in bad weather (which is the way he'd become these past few months). It's the sudden change in behavior that got me. To be his usual, wandering self three days ago then spend the last three days in house all the time with one, short exception has me worried. He acts like he's listless, which I just can't imagine of any animal this time of year with better weather and spring approaching.

shaheena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he eating well? Does he use his litter box regularly? If you are worried, I can only recommend to have him checked by a vet.

Please get both boys neutered.   I'm not surprised that they have these fights and growl at each other. It is very stressful for them. I am convinced the situation would relax once they are neutered. Also, there are many fertile stray cats outside and we really do not need more kittens!