Indoor or outdoor cat...

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We rescued a semi-feral stray about eight months ago and we had a bumpy start but he's since been neutered and has become more domesticated, though he still won't sit on anyone's knee. He'll allow respectful stroking, and if we get it wrong, we bleed. Quite happy to sleep between us on the bed though. Loves food (he starts 'working for breakfast' about 5 am which is his peak 'pain in the arse' time).

But today he was mega restless and discontented; the sun was shining; so we agreed to let him out. He was nervous to start off with, returned home quickly, but has since been let out a couple of times, only for short periods of time.

However, we don't like it; he's our little lad. Traffic's not an issue; we're semi-rural and live in a cul-de-sac, but I'm think of doing some harness training as a compromise between being an indoor/outdoor cat. If he'll let me put a harness on him?

I think we felt sorry for him, like he'd been on lockdown for the past eight months and in a moment of stupidity, we let him out. And now he's got a taste for it.

I think what I'm really after is knowing your thoughts about indoor versus outdoor cats. Have we been stupid?

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think there's a straight answer. there are perfectly happy cats who've never been out. there are strays who live long happy lives even in areas with traffic. I'd like to share my thoughts about the life of my cat since this has been an issue for me a long time.

my adopted stray passed her kittenhood in our summer house in another town with a huge community garden area, hunting butterflies, having to learn climbing down from trees, rolling on dirt. when the summer was over we could have left her outside. some people who lived in the vicinity would feed and keep an eye on her. but i was concerned because of a past experience

my parents had took in a stray kitten in the summer. my father was totally against taking her in full time. so they left her for the winters (mild climate). she would live mostly outdoors fall-winter-spring, mostly indoors in summers. although 70%blind, Kedi was an excellent hunter and made friends wherever she went. 6 years old, her body was found by a neighbor who had stayed for the winter (suffocated by a dog or fox). she had no problems fending for herself normal times, but in winter most people leave the area and stray animals mostly have to compete for survival..

i decided to take my kitten minish back to my city apartment where she hadn't even been allowed to the balcony until this year (she's more mature, listens to me so a take her for short supervised visits). but in summers, i just couldn't lock her up in the summer house with all those lovely trees and grass waiting outside. she was already spayed so no danger of running off. yet she did. having a taste of freedom, sometimes she disappeared for 2 days. on those sleepless nights, i thought if i werent there to find and keep her, she would probably not be alive today, and since she's here, she deserves to live like a cat is supposed to live. i provide her this outlet when the risk is minimized. i thought about and began leash training but it will never give her the satisfaction, i.e. patrolling around the house, ambushing for an hour in hopes for for that songbird she hears, trying to flirt with new guys around :)

when i leave the summer house back to the lock-down mode, she gets depressed and protests for about a week. during that week, she gets crazy amounts of food, lots of praises and games. then she adapts.

• Purraise
Reactions: Wab

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Although semi-rural areas seem to be safer for cats at least in terms of traffic, if there is wildlife nearby that can pose as big of a problem for outdoor cats. And, some cats will roam farther and farther away from home over time, so it is possible that he might not come home one day. Is it feasible to consider building or buying a cat enclosure/catio? That would allow him to have outdoor time, but in a confined area.
All About Catios & Cat Enclosures - Catio Spaces

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Except for TNRed ferals, true ferals who will never become pets, all my personal cats have been indoor only no matter where I have lived. Years ago I did have some who were indoor/outdoor. Most survived, a few did not, and I consider myself lucky that those who did lived to the end of their lives in safety. I have lived semi rural and completely urban, and I don't think it makes a difference.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat would come in with ticks on him, and still does if he escapes. I had a bullseye rash, good thing I spotted it. The collars/drops dont kill the ticks quickly enough to eliminate that risk. In other areas, you might have fleas. In a rural area, predators can be an issue. And just about everywhere, other cats can be a big problem. Mostly just scratches and the ocassional bite, but you can get wounds that require costly vet care from cat-on-cat injuries. My cats were cowardly enough not to get badly injured, but the neighbors had a nasty wound (not from mine, I'm sure). Its not just traffic.

Personally, I'd shut it down and deal with him whining and trying to escape for a few weeks, although I'm admittedly biased after that brush with Lyme. If you really want to do the harness thing, there are experienced people here that can help you. That can turn into a PITA with whining too if you are not careful to establish rituals about when you go.