Indoor Only Shorthair with mats/knots in fur

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At 13, I've noticed that Sassy had developed a number of thick mats/knots in her fur.

This had not been a problem previously; our grooming has always been spotty at best.

What could cause this to happen?

Even more importantly, I've been using our Furminator to help get these under control.  Mostly it works, but Sassy really dislikes being touched, groomed, etc. unless its with the soft, nylon hair brush which really has no ability to get these knots.  There are a couple near her feet (an absolutely untouchable area for her).

Generally, I have to pin her down with one hand, while raking with the other; less than ideal for both of us.

Any suggestions on handling these?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Is there any place nearby--Petco or some place like that--where you could take her to get groomed professionally one time?  Perhaps if they get rid of the big knots for you, she would be easier to brush in the future once those are gone.  

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The easiest solution is to find a professional cat groomer. They are used to handling cats.

I am not a fan of the Furminator. When I groom cats, I use a metal pet comb and a slicker brush. Both are less costly than a Furminator. The main idea is to comb all the way down to the skin. If you just comb your cat's surface, mats will still be created over time. Dead fur leads to mats, so it's important to keep up with combing.

Don't be concerned about using restraint while you comb your cat. One way to do it is to wrap her up like a burrito in a very big towel. Expose the part of her that you want to comb. It can be done -- just takes lots and lots of patience.