indoor cats? please read and get back to me on what YOU think. thanks

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i was just wondering, is it true that you can only have certain breeds/pedigrees as indoor cats? My partner and my mother both think that only pedigrees or certain cats can be indoors. Those that dont shed hair all over the place for example. 
They think that if i have an indoor cat and even though you do everything to keep it clean and do all the right stuff for it, its still "disgusting" or "unhygienic" or that if i choose to have an indoor cat i must get this or that cat (certain breeds) so that it wont shed hair or so. 
But thing is, i always thought that you could pet any cat and make it indoors, just have to train it and groom/wash de flea it and what not.. (obviously would be best to start from when its a kitten which is my goal in the first place) so i was wondering how many of you think or know that it is possible to have any kind of cat as an indoor cat or if i were to choose a short haired? 
Maybe they are only certain few cats you can keep indoor? 

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vast majority will recommend to keep your cat indoors, and no special breeding is necessary.

Outdoor cats are subject to many dangers including:  car collision, aggressive toms, feline diseases, chemical spills such as antifreeze, abusive humans, dogs and other predators, poisonous plants, ticks and fleas, and other parasites they may pick up from prey they might catch.     Outdoor cats can disturb your neighbors if they cause damage or defecate/urinate on their property and add stress on local wildlife.

Cats are very clean animals and spend a great deal of the day grooming themselves, but just like with dogs it is true that vacuuming hair is a chore, and they can damage your belongings if not trained to scratch on appropriate surfaces. 

Personally, I believe that all cats should be kept indoor only, and outdoors only in an enclosure or when supervised.   There was a dead cat on the road behind my house just the other day, no tags unfortunately but it looked very fluffy and well fed so was probably someone's cat in the neighborhood.   Probably the most fun for a cat, but just so very dangerous out there in an urban environment IMO.

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All reputable breeders will refuse to sell their cats to be outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats, no matter what breed is in question. I believe most shelters/rescues will also demand the new home to keep the cat indoors only. You can build them an enclosure or take them out in a harness, but not without supervision. Most cat breeds also have more or less hair just like regular domestic short- or longhairs, so there will either be cat hair or grease stains (if you pic a hairless breed) in your house.

When it comes to hygiene, I find cats one of the most clean pet you can have. They use litter box, they don't eat feces, they wash themselves a lot etc.

I don't think any domestic cat, breed or no breed, should be outdoors.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go to our "Crossing the Bridge" forum section and read through the broken hearts there, and then you'll know the value of keeping cats indoors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks peeps. And i know the value of keeping a cat indoor. Hence why for the first time i would prefer to keep my cat indoor because outdoor cats have it pretty rough outside. Dogs ok, especially big dogs are good for outdoors and cant get out or run off as easy as a cat can. Cats... outdoor... = risks amongst other things such as things ducman69 has mentioned. I have never been able to own an indoor cat before and i too do think that indoors are much more preferable then outdoors. 
So, indoor vs outdoor? perhaps indoor would be best suited? and just by judging not only you guys but im sure others would say indoors would win.. 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 My partner and my mother both think that only pedigrees or certain cats can be indoors.
They think that if i have an indoor cat and even though you do everything to keep it clean and do all the right stuff for it, its still "disgusting" or "unhygienic" or that if i choose to have an indoor cat i must get this or that cat (certain breeds) so that it wont shed hair or so. 

Quote:
 I have never been able to own an indoor cat before and i too do think that indoors are much more preferable then outdoors. 

Hope the safety issue can convince your mother and your partner the reason for your preference for an indoor cat. The words "disgusting" and "unhygienic" sound pretty unfriendly towards a cat or any animal inside your home. 

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why on earth would someone think CATS, of all creatures, are unhygienic? I'm not trying to be mean, but it sounds like your mother and partner are fairly ignorant of what a cat is actually like as a pet. Please do some research before you bring a kitty into your home, but if you do rescue a kitty off the street or from a cat shelter, then thank you. :nod:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Certainly any type of cat can be trained to be indoors only from kittenhood. It is more difficult, but not impossible with most adults who have been used to being outside. I have done it with 6 of my eight, the other two would never adjust. But it is also a cultural thing - in Europe most shelters, and certainly the RSPCA in Britain, will not usually let you adopt a healthy adult cat unless you can guarantee a garden for it to play in, wherever you live. It is the opposite in the USA.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you would like to read the pros and cons of indoor vs. outdoor, members of TCS had a rather extensive discussion of the subject here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/233858/indoor-v-s-indoor-outdoor-domestic-cats

There is a lot of information and a lot of facts that you will likely find helpful in discussing the subject with your mom and your partner.

The vast majority of TCS members keep their cats indoor only. All that's required of someone keeping cats indoor only is to ensure that the kitties get proper stimulation, and with a little time and proper toys, that's not the least bit difficult. :)

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I definitely agree with keeping cats indoors. I, personally, would worry every second my cat was out if he got hurt, lost or would never come back. I think the best solution is an enclosure. And also providing your cats with some of the outdoor fun indoors. Like toys that use their hunting instincts and cat trees.

Cats are fastidious but necessarily hygienic. They lick their genitals and anal area then lick themselves all over. Dogs are constantly described as.being unhygenic because they lick their private parts and people don't want them licking their faces. It's the same thing with cats; they lick their private parts and lick themselves so essentially, they are just as unhygenic as a dog. Dogs don't lick themselves all over. Plus, cats step in their litter and then lick their paws. I k.ow some people will disagree with me but it's just my opinion. Doesn't mean your cat should go outdoors though. I kiss my cats and smush my face into them all the time and I'm still alive. My mom is the same way but I think part of it is that animals were not members of the family for my mom like my pets are. Animals had a job like dogs protected the property, cats were used to get rid of mice but were left outside. My mom freaks when I kiss my dog.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with all who say keep your kitty inside.  They can acclimate.  Mine have an outdoor enclosure so they get the best of both worlds.

Cats are not disgusting as your partner believes.  They are so clean, do not smell.  I burried my nose in one of my cats fur the other day, and it was sweet smelling.  Like fabric softener.  Don't know where that came from.

Also, please do lots of research on owning a cat.  This is the best place to start.  A very important part of owning a cat is never, never using over the counter flea treatments. Get those through your vet.  Advantage is probably the most used and reliable flea med. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow, hah thank you all! some great replies here. 
Guess what!? .... MUHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAA my partner has crossed over to the dark side muahahahaa!  
:p 
No but for real.. he is actually kinda excited now to have an indoor cat. Especially when its a ragdoll. We both agreed to search for a certain breed and we came across the ragdoll and read up on them, did some research and immediately just fell in love and chose that breed to be our new companionship :) 
(arnt they just to die for!? omg there soo gorgeous) 
I have a copy of "kittens for dummies" this book, has everrrything! every little detail and information you need to know bout kittens/cats. Really handy. 
If none of you have it, i suggest you buy it, honestly is a very good reference book so happy and glad i bought it. 

So yes, my partner has let up some and surely is growing more and more fond and loving these cats or most animals in generally anyway, the more he reads or looks upon them 
=) 
hehe all sweet now that he is tad bit excited wanting a new cat and is taken up some interest now days heheh 
He never was really a pet or animal lover, until he met me :) 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Indoor only for my cat's. They are happy, healthy, satisfied little furbabies as indoor-only. Pure-bred or not, to me, all cat's are safer as indoor only. :nod: I think it is great you want to add a cat to your lives. Just do a lot of reading and research on cat care. Get some books and be well prepared before you bring in a cat. You have come to the right place here at TCS. Any help or advice you need, you can find on this site :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please rescue a kitty.
Not only are they much less expensive than those from the breeder, they help with the cat overpopulation problem.
I know this site is anti-breeder, but really a well bred Ragdoll (or any breed) bred from an ethical, responsible breeder who does all the necessary.

genetic testing should absolutely be on someones list

All reputable breeders will refuse to sell their cats to be outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats, no matter what breed is in question.
Just what I was going to say :) I think all cats, pedigree or not should be indoors, or safely in an enclosure.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know this site is anti-breeder, but really a well bred Ragdoll (or any breed) bred from an ethical, responsible breeder who does all the necessary.
genetic testing should absolutely be on someones list
Oh, I wouldn't say I'm anti-breeder. More pro-rescue, I guess. :)

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a word of caution, a ragdoll might be a lot of work for a first time pet owner.

They tend to have a lot of white fur which shows up more easily, they are long haired so they require grooming unlike shorthairs where even brushing is optional, and the males of the breed tend to get quite large (about 16lbs IIRC, compared to around 11lbs for a domestic shorthair) so something to take into account when shopping for litterboxes (want to supersize everything).  

Originally I was looking into either a ragdoll or maine coon (also huge), but was convinced by a buddy who's really into cats about the extra responsibilities of those breeds.  

Ragdolls have the softest rabbit like fur though!  

Last edited: