Indoor Cat VS Outdoor Cat

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
During the middle of the night last night, I was awakened by a horrible growling and screaming of a cat.  (mine)  Sammi was not in his bed but Mickey was so I knew it was not sibling rivalry over a toy or anything innocent.  I got up and went to the living room where I saw Sammi in the window back arched and on the ledge on the outside of the window was a feral cat or stray from the neighborhood somewhere.  They were banging at the window HARD and trying to get at each other.  Sammi has been neutered and I thought that neutered cats did not have this type of behavior.  There is not a lot I can do that I know of to get the feral cat taken away as the complex where I live harbors many of these poor creatures.  I have been told not to feed them but it is hard to see them out there in the rain and cold sometimes or heat when it is hot.   My neighbor does feed them and the building I am in gives them fresh water so they are taken care of the best we can.  Am I going to have to call the Humane Society to get any more sleep?  I just do not want to have a cat get hurt by the situation.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have the outside cats been fixed?  That would certainly cut down on crazy behaviors.  It might not help with Sammi and the outside cat fighting through the window, though.  Both are upset at the other "invading their territory."

Unless there is a way to keep the outside cats away from your window, this may be an ongoing problem.

The rule of thumb is if you feed them, fix them.  If nothing else, it will keep the population from growing.