Indoor cat showing feral behaviour

rustypocket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I currently live in an apartment with two cats of mine; Hasan (neutered boy, little over a year old) and Kotka (girl, little over 6 months), both of which are almost exclusively indoor cats (Hasan is a door darter, he's rarely outside for longer then 12 hours....). Anyway, Kotka, was basically brought up by Hasan and me, since the three of us moved away because of my colledge when she was about 7 weeks old (not the smartest idea, I know). We caught Kotka's mum, a feral cat, and 3 of her kittens in late July, they were raised by my family, so I know her for her entire life. Mum cat was neutered and released back in our neighbourhood. 

I am not home for about 6-8 hours a day, sometimes less than that, and it didn't make any problems so far. Well, up until 2-3 weeks ago. I don't know what's the problem; but Kotka is actually acting as if she was a feral kitten that I have just picked from the street. She no longer spends time with Hasan (a month ago she was still suckling Hasan, BTW is that normal?), she doesn't purr anymore if she's aware of anyone's presence. There is also no way possible for her to come to sleep on my pillow or under my blanket any more (used to do it all the time before), she attacks my toes at night (I'm not taslking about playing, it's actually hunting on my toes, like biting and scrathing them to blood). Even if I pick her up on my lap, she will nervously run away. Also, she spends 12+ hours a day on my wardrobe that is quite high, she's not lurking though, simply spends her day up there. 

If I try to pet her, she spreads her pupils as if she's afraid, her ears go back and I guess she sees me as some sort of a danger.

What shall I do? What causes this type of behaviour change? Hasan hasn't changed and is still the old one; he cuddles, purrs and plays with me. It bothers me that Kotka is mean to him as well. Could it be reaching sexual maturity? Or simply growing up? Please help! Thank you in advance. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like Kotka has not been spayed yet?   Yes, her hormones could be causing her to act out like this.  She needs to be spayed as soon as possible (six months is plenty old enough.)   It will take awhile for the hormones to leave her body but this really should help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rustypocket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you Margd. I am aware of need to neuter animals (and as of last year, when neutered Hasan, my parents are too - finally). The only problem is that she is quite a bit runty and small in general, plus it is common practice in Croatia for vets to avoid neutering queens before 8 months of age or the first litter (I know, I pretty much live in middle ages 
). I, however, do have money ready and am looking for a good vet that is willing to do the procedure without me putting pressure onto them. I will most likely have to wait for 2 more months... 

Is there anything I could try to make her more comfortable around the apartment? I really feel bad when she acts as if she is scared / feels threatened and spends her days totally away from Hasan and me. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in the United States where there are quite a few products on the market for reducing anxiety in cats.  I don't know how many of them are available in Croatia, though.  Here are some of the products our members have had success with - you might need to experiment since not every product works with every cat.

1.  Feliway is a calming product based on cat pheromones - there is one form based on a facial pheromone that cats emit when they are feeling happy and content and there is another form that lactating mother cats emit.  It's available as a diffuser and a spray.  Here's their U.S. website but they do have websites in other countries as well   http://www.feliway.com/us/#redirected     The diffuser might be most appropriate for your needs but it is kind of expensive so you may have to hunt around a bit for the lowest price.  Members in the U.S. often recommend amazon.com - I don't know if that is true for amazon.com's near you as well.  One word of warning:  the diffusers only cover 700 - 900 square feet so be sure to get enough to cover your entire area.

2. Vetriscience makes a product called Composure - available as treats and as a liquid.   .http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9008103030

3.  Some people find that mixing a tea made with chamomile or hops into their cat's food helps relax them.  You will have to experiment with strength and dosage, starting with as weak a dose as possible.  

4.  Bach's Flower Remedies, especially Rescue Remedy are recommended by many of our members. http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/bfrani.htm  

5.  Spirit Essences are also recommended by many members  http://www.spiritessences.com/category-s/1898.htm

6.  Calming collars are also pheromone based.  Because the cat has a constant level available close to the nose, some people recommend these.  There is some concern that they are not always break-away and so might be dangerous.  Also some members have complained of the powder coating the collar getting everywhere and a strong chemical odor.  

Another possibility is to consider medication.  This is usually a last resort and honestly, I'd see if the vet wouldn't agree to spay your girl before going this route, but below is some information on anti-anxiety medication.  Some members also have luck with antidepressants such as prozac or amitriptyline.
[article="30323"]Anti Anxiety Medication For Cats  [/article]
A final thought is that maybe you can try tiring her out with a lot of exercise, using a toy like Da Bird.  Here is a link to the review on our site:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/da-bird-cat-toy   A lot of cats can't resist this and will leap and twist in the air and chase you all over the house.  It's a good way to bond with Kotka as well, especially if she is feeling cranky.  This is just one toy - check out some of the other ones available:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/category/cat-toys

Having said all the above, I really hope you can persuade a vet to spay Kotka soon!   She really doesn't need to have a litter first to experience a full life!