Indoor cat lost, ice storm is coming tonight

winter8199

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi this is my first time posting on any kind of forum, but I'm desperate and scared. My 10 month old indoor cat Theo is missing. We are about to get snow and ice tonight. I live in the South and we don't get weather like this very often. I have him on an indoor camera at 4pm Wednesday. My husband got home an hour later and our older cat ran out the side door (which is normal) - my husband swears he never saw the baby. He walked across the house to the back door to let the dog out but it thundered really loud so the dog wouldn't go out, but the older cat ran back in the back door (weird, but that's what happened). 6 minutes later, a meow is heard on the camera near the side door but my husband didn't realize Theo was missing so he didn't investigate beyond opening the laundry room door and closing it. I've heard nothing since then. I got home 2 hours later after dark and looked through the ENTIRE house and yard. I have since looked again maybe 8 times. Nothing. Theo is skittish and usually hides for 10 minutes after we get home. HIGHLY unusual for him to run out, especially for my husband to not see him. But I have no other ideas. The part that is scaring me is this VERY cold, icy, snowy weather for the next 3 days. Can he survive if he's outside?!???? I am a basket-case. I've made flyers, tried to talk to neighbors. My immediate neighbors didn't answer the door so I can't hunt their backyards. I've put out food, litter, etc. Called the shelter. I don't think he would let anyone get their hands on him. He runs from me unless I'm sitting. He was feral up until 6 weeks of age when a friend found him and brought him to me.
Maybe I just need reassurance. Maybe I need someone to tell me they've been through this? Anything helps. I'm a mess.

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi this is my first time posting on any kind of forum, but I'm desperate and scared. My 10 month old indoor cat Theo is missing. We are about to get snow and ice tonight. I live in the South and we don't get weather like this very often. I have him on an indoor camera at 4pm Wednesday. My husband got home an hour later and our older cat ran out the side door (which is normal) - my husband swears he never saw the baby. He walked across the house to the back door to let the dog out but it thundered really loud so the dog wouldn't go out, but the older cat ran back in the back door (weird, but that's what happened). 6 minutes later, a meow is heard on the camera near the side door but my husband didn't realize Theo was missing so he didn't investigate beyond opening the laundry room door and closing it. I've heard nothing since then. I got home 2 hours later after dark and looked through the ENTIRE house and yard. I have since looked again maybe 8 times. Nothing. Theo is skittish and usually hides for 10 minutes after we get home. HIGHLY unusual for him to run out, especially for my husband to not see him. But I have no other ideas. The part that is scaring me is this VERY cold, icy, snowy weather for the next 3 days. Can he survive if he's outside?!???? I am a basket-case. I've made flyers, tried to talk to neighbors. My immediate neighbors didn't answer the door so I can't hunt their backyards. I've put out food, litter, etc. Called the shelter. I don't think he would let anyone get their hands on him. He runs from me unless I'm sitting. He was feral up until 6 weeks of age when a friend found him and brought him to me.
Maybe I just need reassurance. Maybe I need someone to tell me they've been through this? Anything helps. I'm a mess.
A few things you can do - put out the smelliest cat food you can find...or even tuna. Just open the can and set it down. Surround your house with open cans, but make sure you can see them from your windows. You can also build a quick, outdoor cat house do if he comes back while you're sleeping, he can still have a decent place to get out of the elements. Another option is to take an old (but clean) towel and rub it all over yourself, head to toe, under your armpits etc. Once you have your scent on the towel, put it outside. A familiar smell can help a lost pet find their way home.

My final recommendation is to always always always have your pets microchipped as soon as possible. Any reputable shelter or vet's office will make scanning for a microchip the FIRST thing they do when someone finds a lost pet. This is the easiest way to get a lost pet back to you.

Good luck, keep your head up and let us know how it goes.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most of the time when a normally indoor cat ends up outside they don't go far. Check any bushes near your house, also check around the edges of the house, under any porches if you have any. At night can actually sometimes be easier to look for a cat since a flashlight will reflect off their eyes better in the dark. They are normally too scared to actually meow or come out if called so just because you don't hear him and he doesn't come running to you when called doesn't mean he isn't right in front of you hiding. I've also heard in addition to your scent, if you can put out a used (so has his poop and pee smell in it) litter box that can also help him smell his way home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Normally, a cat that is indoor only usually doesn't wander far from their home - hunkered outside somewhere hiding. Continue to go outside to look for him, taking a bag of food/treats with you and shaking it while calling his name. Sit down while doing it, since he is skittish. If you do move around a bit, stay in each area for at least 15 or so minutes to give him time to respond. He may very well be hungry enough to come to you. Flashlight to look in every nook and cranny around your house - as well as up into trees, in bushes, etc. to see if you can catch the reflection of his eyes in the flashlight. Go back and bug your neighbors again as well. If they don't know you well, someone may have managed to catch him and has him in their house.

Do you have a camera focused on the area near where he ran out of the house? If not, you should. And, someone should be monitoring it at all times. As suggested above, I would also set up a shelter outside for him - also near where you suspect he ran out. And, along with worn, unwashed clothing of yours, if you have any items with his scent on them place them around as well. Make sure some of each are also included in his makeshift shelter. Also, place food inside the shelter.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

winter8199

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so so much! I’ve put out makeshift shelters, tuna, tshirts, litter, etc as recommended. Adjusting cameras now. I’ll keep you posted. ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winter8199

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We’ve not had power or water since Wednesday, but the most amazing thing happened last night - I heard a tiny meow!!!! He is home and healthy (and extra cuddly)!! He has been under the house. I’m not sure how he figured it out or why he didn’t meow before now but dangit I’m so happy right now I could burst. 9 days he’s been gone!! You all are a fantastic community and I am so appreciative and thankful 🥲 ❤