Indoor cat keeps escaping!

charless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our four year-old Maine Coon mix Sam has suddenly decided that he wants to go outside. The problem is that we live up on a mountain in the deep woods of NC just outside of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We have mountain lions, bears and Coyotes in the area. Coyotes hunt domestic cats as food, and we certainly don't want Sam to become a meal for a Coyote. The north/south black bear migration trail runs along the mountain above our home. Sam is fast and will rush between our legs when we come in the house or go outside. He is so much faster than we are.

Sam has a very long coat, and he acts like freaking Tinker Bell outside, rolling here and rolling there, and generally running around the yard like an idiot. His longest time staying outside is two nights. We could see him, but could not catch him. We set a Have-A-Hart trap with the stinkiest sardenes I could find, and he just walks around it chattering. Sam is not stupid. He has a thing for poison ivy, and has managed to transfer that stuff to me a couple of times. Not fun! When he makes his escapes, he manages to mess up his long black coat with all sorts stuff that gets tangled in it. It takes us a couple of weeks of brushing to get his coat back to normal. Besides the poison ivy and the messed up coat, our main concern is that our goofy fearless indoor cat will get eaten by a wild critter. As much as I would like to ring his neck right now, we would be heart broken if anything happend to him. Yes, Sam was neutered as a kitten. The only living thing around here that isn't neutered or spayed is me, and I am too old to be a problem.

We have five cats total that we claim. Three cats are strictly indoor, including Sam. One cat was an indoor/outdoor when we got her, and she continues that behavior to date. We know  the dangers are greater for an outdoor cat, however she insists on going outside. This cat stays very close to the house, in the dog kennel, or the garage, and she is only outside for a few hours in the middle of the day. Cat number five is a feral that we trapped, had neutered, got all of his shots, and was released. He has a heated cat condo on our front porch and stays very close to the house. There is a cat colony in the woods that we trapped, had neutered, or spayed, got shots, and were released, but they don't come near the house. We see them in the edges of the yard, but are unable to get close to them. I manage to keep a head count, (12) and so far have not lost any. Based on that I don't think that the wild critters are frequenting our property, however one never knows when they may start. We see wild critters in the neighborhood all of the time. Our three Golden Retrievers may keep the wild critters away, but we can't be sure. Besides, the goldens are locked in their kennel at night.

Normally we allow the kitties to roam the entire house, which is 4000 square feet. Right now our solution to Sam, the escape artist kitty, is to keep him in our sun room, a 500 square foot room. It is not a whole lot of fun for Sam and is a pain for us. That way if he escapes into the house we still have him trapped so that he cannot get outside. Eventually we can get him back in the sunroom. When Sam gets loose in the house we use the utility room as a barrier room, closing the door on the inside before we open the door going outside. Still Sam is patient, and waits for his next chance to escape. Sam is an easy going kitty and seems to get along fine with all of the other cats. Sam and our other young male indoor cat are big buddies, and they play most of the day. I work nights. When I sleep during the daytime Sam and CJ pile up on my bed and stay most of the day. The two females are older and seem more serious. The females rule the house and the two younger males don't challenge them.

We are perplexed as to why Sam suddenly wants to go outside. Maybe he is bored, or maybe he is just curious? Any ideas on how to change his mind about this subject are appreciated. Otherwise we will have to maintain this maximum security prison environment.

Betty and Charles 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are perplexed as to why Sam suddenly wants to go outside. Maybe he is bored, or maybe he is just curious? Any ideas on how to change his mind about this subject are appreciated. Otherwise we will have to maintain this maximum security prison environment.

Betty and Charles 
Well, he has tasted the outdoors and even we humans, once we enjoy something it is hard not to want it again. 

Because my cats are indoor outdoor, I can't give you advise on how to force Sam to stay indoors. But have you thought of making him an outdoor cat enclosure which is accessible from the inside? Here's a link http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm  to give you some ideas. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe that is the case. Sam has experienced the outside and wants to repeat the experience. As for the outdoor cat enclosure, that is a great idea.

Actually I am working on something similiar. It is 20 foot long x 6 foot high x 6 foot deep and is made from the four panels of a 10 x 10 chain link dog pen. It will be locked against the side of the dog kennel building on one side, and the and the side of the kennel on the other, which is also chain link. The back wall is the wall of the garage. The cats will be able to enter and exit via a cat flap in our breezeway that connects the house to the garage. The cats don't seem to mind being next to the dogs, as the dogs are cat friendly.

I have been planning to finish this project this winter. It probably needs to get bumped up to the fall.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you  have a garage?  One of my biggest fears is that one or both of them get outside and they get lost or something happens to them, so w have a protocol that no one comes or goes though the front or back door.  We don't come in the house through the kitchen door either until the garage door is all the way down.  Swanie has gotten out into the garage a couple times, but because of our being careful he didn't manage to get all the way outside.  We even have contractors either come and go that way as well or make sure the cats are in a bedroom with the doors closed. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are controlling Sam's access to the outdoors about the same way as you are, except with a sunroom instead of a bedroom. Mostly we do enter and exit through the garage, however our porch is used several times daily. Our simi feral cat Buddy lives on the front porch and he loves for us to come outside to see him. Buddy has become more of a pet and less feral as time goes on. The smokers in the family use the porch for a smoking area. We can't realistically limit everyone entering and exiting through the front door. The wife has her plants and bird feeders on the porch and it is a long walk from the garage to the front of the house.

A day after the original post, I broke out with poison ivy rash again, probably from Sam's last excape. He loves poison ivy and rolls in it every time he gets out. When I go to bed after a night at work Sam crawls under the covers and sleeps next to my shoulder or arm.  After one of his famous excapes I usually battle with poison ivy for a few days afterwards. 

After getting scrubbed in the bath tub and kept in the sunroom most of the time, Sam seems to be avoiding gettting near the front door, his excape route. Maybe he has associated the excape with the bath and exile to the sunroom? We will keep watching out for Sam to make another attempt to get outside, and maybe at some point he will forget about it. Yesterday when the wife went outside, I called Sam and he took off in the other direction torwards the sunroom. A few minutes later he came back, but watched Betty come in the front door from the other side of the den, nowhere near the front door.

We would probably just let Sam be an indoor/outdoor cat, except for the fact that he has so little experience outdoors that he acts like he is unaware of the danger. There is the poison ivy problem. Add to that the fact that Sam has very long fur and gets it tangled into a big mess everytime he goes outside. One time it was so tangled that I had to shave fur off to remove the tangled burs, twigs, and other stuff stuck in he coat. Another time he got ringworm and lost a big patch of fur. By the time we figured out what was causing Sam's problems, we all had ringworm. Sam does not seem suited for life as an outdoor kitty.

He is too goofy, too fuzzy, and probably too old (5 years) to try and convert to an outdoor kitty.  

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is too goofy, too fuzzy, and probably too old (5 years) to try and convert to an outdoor kitty.  
My closest of friends has a Persian. He is 8+ years old and an indoor outdoor cat. Like Sam, he managed to escape one day and my friend could not keep him in. To avoid getting his fur in a mess, my friend has it trimmed once a month. Her cat does not look Persian but more like a medium haired kitty. 
 Unlike Sam though, Mio (that's his name) is fond of climbing. He keeps away from plants except trees.  

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe that is the case. Sam has experienced the outside and wants to repeat the experience. As for the outdoor cat enclosure, that is a great idea.

Actually I am working on something similiar. It is 20 foot long x 6 foot high x 6 foot deep and is made from the four panels of a 10 x 10 chain link dog pen. It will be locked against the side of the dog kennel building on one side, and the and the side of the kennel on the other, which is also chain link. The back wall is the wall of the garage. The cats will be able to enter and exit via a cat flap in our breezeway that connects the house to the garage. The cats don't seem to mind being next to the dogs, as the dogs are cat friendly.

I have been planning to finish this project this winter. It probably needs to get bumped up to the fall.
The enclosure is the perfect solution. Hope you post pics when it is done. :)