Indoor Cat Got Out, Trying To Get It To Come Back In.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My indoor cat got out 9 days ago and not quite sure how this happened, but I think he went out with the dogs, although he's never done this in the almost 5 years I've had him. We have had brutally cold below zero weather for that entire time, until today. And today he came on my porch, but then took off hid under the neighbor's porch, then took off period. The problem besides him not coming home is I feed feral cats and have had to do it on my porch since the winter started. I'm afraid my cat isn't coming all the way to the door because of them. What can I do? I pretty much have to feed them there to get electricity to the warming bowls. But I don't know if he's not coming to door because of them or because he's so scared. We saw 0 sightings of him until today and I am hoping hunger and the fact it is a little warmer drove him out of hiding. He was 100% indoor prior to this. I don't know why he decided to go outside either. Very much want my guy back in the house. Hope someone has some tips.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you use extension cords to get their warming bowls away from the house? This would really help it be safer for your cat to return. If your neighbor is willing, maybe set a trap for him under her porch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I already am using extension cords to the outlet on side of house. The ferals go under my neighbor's porch. They are all over in the town I live in, we have no TNR and no animal control. It is a very bad situation in this town. Maybe tomorrow I will take their food away??? At least for awhile.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it is cold there but can you leave your door open with some smelly food while you call to your cat for a couple of hours if need be? I would be leaving the backdoor open and calling from a room over, even walk around the back yard. If your cat does approach I would ignore him. He might be injured. Injured cats hide. If you can't get him tonight can you borrow a TNR trap from your vet for a couple of nights?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have other cats in my house wish I could do that. I saw him again this a.m. he is scared. The feral cats are all over it's not going to matter what I put where, they are all over this area. We have a huge problem in our town. I am going to try to take out a pet carrier with some fish in a bowl. A trap would probably just catch an older kitten.